Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 10-19-21 11:39 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22275529)
An old(er) man sliding into the DMs would be creepy.

Caring is creepy.

LesterOfPuppets 10-19-21 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22275405)
I saw Bill and Ted's excellent adventure that should count for something.

How bout Point Break?


Eric F 10-19-21 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275404)
Okay, so, dumb question: I can understand the reluctance IRL, but what's the objection to riding in close proximity to a stranger virtually?

In reality, nothing. Being "sticky" with another rider doesn't change anything about your effort level. Usually, I don't care. Riders who are doing a structured workout, however, I try to give them space to do their own thing.

Eric F 10-19-21 11:51 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22275478)
I have no particular objection, but after 5 minutes it feels...weird.

For me, it depends. Even if I start out with just riding solo (not a group ride) It's pretty common for me to end up riding with one or more other riders who are working at similar effort levels. I've had some really good workouts trading efforts with other riders, and end up a going harder than I would have gone on my own. Even if I'm just doing an easy-tempo spin, I tend to enjoy it more with others riding at the same pace because it immerses me more in the "game" rather than just looking at the numbers. Riders doing a structured workout I tend to leave alone.

WhyFi 10-19-21 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22275554)
Riders doing a structured workout I tend to leave alone.

Is that what the screens in front of the avatars represents?

datlas 10-19-21 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275519)
So you don't DM them with something along the lines of, "hey - maybe we should be friends!"?

Why can't we be friends??


Mojo31 10-19-21 12:09 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275565)
Is that what the screens in front of the avatars represents?

Yes.

datlas 10-19-21 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275565)
Is that what the screens in front of the avatars represents?


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22275581)
Yes.

This. I used to think they look like music stands, but that's my bias.

Personally, I have no problem riding with strangers on Zwift.

genejockey 10-19-21 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275519)
So you don't DM them with something along the lines of, "hey - maybe we should be friends!"?

I don't have a keyboard I can reach to type on. I can barely reach it to move the cursor. I mean, I can reach it and maybe type, or I can ride, but I can't do both.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c762f6109.jpg

indyfabz 10-19-21 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22275573)

Saw them live at JFK. Think it was in '79. Great performance.

Eric F 10-19-21 12:22 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22275588)
This. I used to think they look like music stands, but that's my bias.

Personally, I have no problem riding with strangers on Zwift.

I thought the same thing - LOL. My Zwift rig actually uses 2 music stands. One to hold my 24" monitor, the other as a side table for bottles, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/1KSZILi.jpg

WhyFi 10-19-21 12:22 PM

Speaking of training(ish), for the last month and a half, I decided that I should take advantage of what's left of the good weather and make a good push heading in to the winter. I've done a decent job of driving up the load while balancing things out, but I'm starting to feel like I need to back off, indicated Form be damned. Of course, this is as the carrot of 100 Fitness dangles in front of me. :notamused:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64368204b0.jpg

indyfabz 10-19-21 12:23 PM

Just got a text informing me that I don't have to report for jury duty tomorrow and should, instead, report to work.

Don't boss me!

WhyFi 10-19-21 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22275606)
I don't have a keyboard I can reach to type on. I can barely reach it to move the cursor. I mean, I can reach it and maybe type, or I can ride, but I can't do both.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c762f6109.jpg

You're not trying hard enough. Besides, isn't that what the Companion App is for? :p

bampilot06 10-19-21 12:24 PM

Zone 2 power rides are painfully boring.


So I got my booties out this morning and the zipper is stuck on both of them. Iíve tried soaking in soap and water but that hasnít worked. Any one ever have this happen?

WhyFi 10-19-21 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22275615)
Zone 2 power rides are painfully boring.

That's how you know you're doing it right.

genejockey 10-19-21 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22275541)
In reality, nothing. Being "sticky" with another rider doesn't change anything about your effort level. Usually, I don't care. Riders who are doing a structured workout, however, I try to give them space to do their own thing.

It should lower your effort if you're drafting, though last week I found myself in the annoying position of putting out consistently HIGHER w/kg than the guy in front of me who was 'riding' the Canyon Aeroad while I was on the less aerodynamic Ultimate. Plus at 6' I'm taller than average and thus less aerodynamic, so I think that might have been a factor as well. Still, it was annoying to see him putting out 1.3 w/kg in front while I was pushing 1.5 w/kg behind him.

The thing about the structured workout people is they can't draft you, but you can draft them. I don't even know if you show up on their screen (I tend to get a little hyperfocused doing workouts), so I think a lot of riders hitch onto them knowing they'll probably put out a lot of watts and tow them around. Then again, the output is likely to suddenly change, too. You wouldn't follow them IRL because their sudden drop in power would have you riding over them.

LesterOfPuppets 10-19-21 12:31 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22275611)
Just got a text informing me that I don't have to report for jury duty tomorrow and should, instead, report to work.

Don't boss me!


genejockey 10-19-21 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275613)
You're not trying hard enough. Besides, isn't that what the Companion App is for? :p

I can touch type, but to try and type on my phone I'd need my glasses, which would quickly get all sweaty.

LAJ 10-19-21 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22275615)
Zone 2 power rides are painfully boring.


So I got my booties out this morning and the zipper is stuck on both of them. Iíve tried soaking in soap and water but that hasnít worked. Any one ever have this happen?

That's when you get the Christmas Card design down, and how to reorganize the garage to utilize all the space, and anything else on your mind that needs to be worked out. It's productive time, with one eye on the head unit to keep an eye on cadence and power. Heck, it's a great time to get to know yourself.

genejockey 10-19-21 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22275615)
Zone 2 power rides are painfully boring.

Indeed. It takes things like wondering how long you should stay on somebody's wheel, or dropping back and seeing how long it takes to catch back up without trying to, to make it even remotely interesting.

WhyFi 10-19-21 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22275632)
That's when you get the Christmas Card design down, and how to reorganize the garage to utilize all the space, and anything else on your mind that needs to be worked out. It's productive time, with one eye on the head unit to keep an eye on cadence and power. Heck, it's a great time to get to know yourself.

:roflmao2: Heh, I was on an easy (but not strictly z2) ride the other day, and that's about where my headspace was - thinking about the family photo for Christmas, planning a jig for making picture frames, designs for a couple of small pieces of furniture that I'd like to make over the winter, etc, etc.

genejockey 10-19-21 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22275632)
That's when you get the Christmas Card design down, and how to reorganize the garage to utilize all the space, and anything else on your mind that needs to be worked out. It's productive time, with one eye on the head unit to keep an eye on cadence and power. Heck, it's a great time to get to know yourself.

But what if you turn out to be an a-hole?

datlas 10-19-21 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22275613)
You're not trying hard enough. Besides, isn't that what the Companion App is for? :p

My Companion app is quirky. It keeps going in and out of game. Not sure why but it does not bother me enough to troubleshoot.

WhyFi 10-19-21 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22275648)
My Companion app is quirky. It keeps going in and out of game. Not sure why but it does not bother me enough to troubleshoot.

Don't you have general connectivity issues with Zwift? I haven't looked in to it, but I'm assuming that the Companion App and your host computer both connect to the Zwift servers independently. If that's the case, I can see how either could/would drop out at any given time.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.