Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Trsnrtr 10-04-21 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256067)
The oldest guy in the club had an 11-23t yesterday, even worse than my 12-25t. I was ahead of him on the climbs, so I don't know if he was able to sit much or if he, too, stood most of the time, but I was impressed.

As an aside, as a younger person, say up to 60, I stood frequently on steep climbs. Now, I rarely stand, like never. I'm blaming it on weak arms and loss of muscle mass. Otherwise, I have no idea.

WhyFi 10-04-21 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22256091)
Speaking of bailouts - I like the 32/34 on my Revolt, but there are plenty of roads here that exceed 12% for short periods. The 36/30 on the R3 also gets tons of use.

We had some really punchy bits yesterday, at least for someone from the quasi prairie. I didn't look at the grade, much, but one of the guys said that he was seeing 16%+ here and there throughout the day.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...735a18e965.jpg

indyfabz 10-04-21 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256043)
The cat gets me up most mornings. She has been sleeping with us since Heidi moved out. She knows to stay on my side of the bed and leave mrs datlas alone, so it's working out well.

Mine gets me up way early, I feed him and then I go back to bed.

One thing I did not like about my recent tour was how early it got dark. I had never been out on the road for an extended period of time that late in September. On relatively late finish days I had to hurry to avoid cooking in the dark, which did happen a couple of times. Out in the NW during the second half of June is much nicer. If you are pitching your tent and cooking in the dark something probably went wrong.

indyfabz 10-04-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256074)
At least he doesn't do nested quotes. Please don't go there Velo Vol !

Man! This made me think of a noted BF member who always use nested quotes. Sometimes 12' of computer monitor's worth. Wonder what became of him.

WhyFi 10-04-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22256102)
As an aside, as a younger person, say up to 60, I stood frequently on steep climbs. Now, I rarely stand, like never. I'm blaming it on weak arms and loss of muscle mass. Otherwise, I have no idea.

I can certainly understand that - I felt fine once I got in to the rhythm, but definitely felt it in arms/upper body towards the end of the day.

Trsnrtr 10-04-21 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256103)
We had some really punchy bits yesterday, at least for someone from the quasi prairie. I didn't look at the grade, much, but one of the guys said that he was seeing 16%+ here and there throughout the day.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...735a18e965.jpg

While mousing over your Strava profile, there are some double digit climbs which would probably mean middle teens on a couple at some points. Tough ride. :thumb:

seedsbelize2 10-04-21 07:35 AM

Day three of the plank challenge. 30 seconds.

phrantic09 10-04-21 07:37 AM

On long-ish climbs, I'm probably standing around 75% of the time

phrantic09 10-04-21 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256108)
I can certainly understand that - I felt fine once I got in to the rhythm, but definitely felt it in arms/upper body towards the end of the day.

Lift weights, get beefy

datlas 10-04-21 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22256107)
Man! This made me think of a noted BF member who always use nested quotes. Sometimes 12' of computer monitor's worth. Wonder what became of him.

I rode with him in Boston about 10 years ago when we made a side trip up there. I don't know if he is still active on BF or not.

indyfabz 10-04-21 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256146)
I rode with him in Boston about 10 years ago when we made a side trip up there. I don't know if he is still active on BF or not.

Posted back in April of this year.

Velo Vol 10-04-21 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256051)
Ha! With that multi-quote error, it almost looks like you're disapproving of the keen cycling in my gif! :lol:

There was no error.

WhyFi 10-04-21 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22256143)
Lift weights, get beefy

Ha - time-honored climbing advice!

I have noticed a bit of upper body muscle mass loss in the last handful of years. The last couple of years, I've been considering some weight work over the winter... I think that I'm actually going to do it this winter.

Maybe.

WhyFi 10-04-21 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256155)
There was no error.

Wha? You're not a keen cyclist, then, are you?

Velo Vol 10-04-21 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256077)
Is that normal?!?

I know my small gear is 12 and my big gear is 25, but what the ones between are, I don't know. The last one or two are emergency use only.

phrantic09 10-04-21 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256159)
Ha - time-honored climbing advice!

I have noticed a bit of upper body muscle mass loss in the last handful of years. The last couple of years, I've been considering some weight work over the winter... I think that I'm actually going to do it this winter.

Maybe.

I know - it's counter intuitive. I think strength training has done a ton to help my cycling (though there are plenty of people who poo poo it). I do upper body+core 1x weekly with a personal trainer, lower body+core 1x weekly with the same, push-ups / pull ups 2x and core work 3x a week on top of running / cycling - I'm faster and stronger than when I was 10 lbs lighter.

WhyFi 10-04-21 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22256171)
I know - it's counter intuitive. I think strength training has done a ton to help my cycling (though there are plenty of people who poo poo it). I do upper body+core 1x weekly with a personal trainer, lower body+core 1x weekly with the same, push-ups / pull ups 2x and core work 3x a week on top of running / cycling - I'm faster and stronger than when I was 10 lbs lighter.

Yeah, more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm sure it depends upon the nature of the climbing that you're doing.

I think that a lot (vast majority?) of people that worry about putting on too much mass via weights just haven't lifted before - it's not something that you "oops" your way in to, unless maybe you're crazy genetically gifted. I think that I could increase upper body strength without adding more than a 3-5 pounds of muscle and still get to a target weight of 170 next spring.

rjones28 10-04-21 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256166)
I know my small gear is 12 and my big gear is 25, but what the ones between are, I don't know. The last one or two are emergency use only.

I used all available gear combinations on yesterday's ride.

datlas 10-04-21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22256147)
Posted back in April of this year.

Hmm. He was a fairly frequent contributor. I hope he is ok.

edit: Last Activity: 09-23-21 11:02 AM, so he is/was presumably active within the past 2 weeks.

BillyD 10-04-21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256077)
So there is a cycling guy I ride with occasonally and he was on the Savage Century. A few of us were talking gearing, so I asked him what his bailout gear was.

His answer: "I don't know."

I asked what his small chainring up front was. Again, he had no idea.

Is that normal?!?

Yes. He's obviously wise enough to have wasted no time over the years matching wits with the denizens of Bike-Forums. :lol:

BillyD 10-04-21 08:16 AM

As an aside, as a younger person, say up to 60 . . . .

That's the spirit for longevity. :bday:

BillyD 10-04-21 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22256171)

That's the spirit.

genejockey 10-04-21 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256067)
The oldest guy in the club had an 11-23t yesterday, even worse than my 12-25t. I was ahead of him on the climbs, so I don't know if he was able to sit much or if he, too, stood most of the time, but I was impressed. I mean, he looked rough at the regroups, but he battled and ground up 'em.

The co-organizer of Saturday's monthly C&V ride, SwimmerMike, was riding with a straight block, 14-19, and of course, the usual 52/42 front. At one point we were heading into a steep pitch and he said, "And I'm already in my bailout gear!" But, you know, when your bailout gear is 42x19, you spend a LOT more time in it.

genejockey 10-04-21 09:03 AM

Starting about a year and a half ago, I made an effort to work on climbing out of the saddle more. I used to run out of gas after about 10 pedal strokes, so I focused on going for longer, and between that and losing 30#, it has helped a lot.

WhyFi 10-04-21 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22256295)
The co-organizer of Saturday's monthly C&V ride, SwimmerMike, was riding with a straight block, 14-19, and of course, the usual 52/42 front. At one point we were heading into a steep pitch and he said, "And I'm already in my bailout gear!" But, you know, when your bailout gear is 42x19, you spend a LOT more time in it.

Oof.

I will say that, although I had the 25, I don't think that I used the 34/25 much, if at all. As previously stated, I needed to stand and, once standing, 34/25 was annoyingly low, so I'd go to the 23 or 21.