Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New bike day is the best kinda day! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266364)

Ynotnow 01-18-23 04:53 PM

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Just took delivery of my first road bike after two decades of mountain biking.
I'm super excited to learn a new discipline and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

I will say, the good folks at Lynskey turned out a quality bike. Fit and finish is immaculate, and the welds are absolutely beautiful.
I either lucked out and got the best welder they have on staff, or they have a bunch of welders with phenomenal skills on the payroll.

Anyways, here it is, complete with the freshly installed ghetto chainstay protector.
Is there a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) solution in the road bike world?

https://i.imgur.com/KKbuvaM.jpg

bampilot06 01-18-23 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ynotnow (Post 22773260)
I'm super excited to learn a new discipline and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

I will say, the good folks at Lynskey turned out a quality bike. Fit and finish is immaculate, and the welds are absolutely beautiful.
I either lucked out and got the best welder they have on staff, or they have a bunch of welders with phenomenal skills on the payroll.

Anyways, here it is, complete with the freshly installed ghetto chainstay protector.
Is there a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) solution in the road bike world?

Congrats. Always wanted a Ti bike.

Bald Paul 01-18-23 05:41 PM

Yes, none at all, or at least something clear.
Cyclistick Chainstay Protector Set of 3 - Clear Film Road Cycling Bike | eBay

phrantic09 01-18-23 06:11 PM

I bought a kit from these guys

https://www.ridewrap.com/us/en/bike-...ke-protection/

works great

datlas 01-18-23 06:20 PM

Ti chainstay don’t need no stinkin’ protector. Keep it naked and proud!

Ynotnow 01-18-23 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22773369)
I bought a kit from these guys

https://www.ridewrap.com/us/en/bike-...ke-protection/

works great

Appreciate the replies folks!

I use Ridewrap on all my mountain bikes, but the idea of wrapping these spiraled tubes gives me a headache just thinking about how difficult it would be LOL.

MidTNBrad 01-18-23 06:50 PM

Congrats! And yes, the Lynskeys know how to build bikes!

SoSmellyAir 01-18-23 07:17 PM

Very nice Lynskey! What learning curve? You probably have superior bike handling skills from mountain biking already.

If your derailleurs are setup correctly the chain should not drop all that often, but yes, there is: ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent: Automotive Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Ynotnow 01-18-23 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22773435)
Very nice Lynskey! What learning curve? You probably have superior bike handling skills from mountain biking already.

If your derailleurs are setup correctly the chain should not drop all that often, but yes, there is: ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent: Automotive Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

That looks like it'd fit the bill nicely!

Do you happen to know if that product allows a "wet" installation or is it "stick it on and hope you got it right the first time"?

SoSmellyAir 01-18-23 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ynotnow (Post 22773451)
That looks like it'd fit the bill nicely!

Do you happen to know if that product allows a "wet" installation or is it "stick it on and hope you got it right the first time"?

It is the latter.

PeteHski 01-19-23 03:44 AM

I would use a strip of automotive PPF (wet fit type). It will be invisible and prevent any scuffing.

texbiker 01-19-23 08:03 AM

Nice bike choice. Welcome to the Lynskey community. I ride a Lynskey Helix as well, I also owned a R300 in the past. Which group did you get?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...74a95f173b.jpg

Ynotnow 01-19-23 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by texbiker (Post 22773791)
Nice bike choice. Welcome to the Lynskey community. I ride a Lynskey Helix as well, I also owned a R300 in the past. Which group did you get?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...74a95f173b.jpg

Gorgeous bike!
If I had to do it over I would have gotten the etched logos like you, since the decals on the downtube kind of obscure the spiral.

I got the Sram Force AXS. It is buttery smooth too, so I'm glad I went that route.
For added insurance I added the Sram chain spotter to hopefully avoid any chain drops to the inside.

Spoke with the folks at my local Trek dealer yesterday to get an estimate on an Aeolus RSL 37 wheelset which will shave off a pound.
Just trying to decide if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze, but heavily leaning towards it, even if it's purely for the aesthetic appeal.

texbiker 01-19-23 08:29 AM

I got the SRAM Rival AXS eTap. The electronic shifting is so nice. My R300 had decals. You might like the ICAN Cycling Alpha 50 wheels that are on my bike. The price is very attractive. I have about 8000 miles on two sets; my other road bike is a Cervelo Caledonia.

Ynotnow 01-19-23 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by texbiker (Post 22773820)
I got the SRAM Rival AXS eTap. The electronic shifting is so nice. My R300 had decals. You might like the ICAN Cycling Alpha 50 wheels that are on my bike. The price is very attractive. I have about 8000 miles on two sets; my other road bike is a Cervelo Caledonia.

I truly appreciate the input!!
I'll check ICAN out once I get in for the evening and see what the price comparison is.

I will say that the Trek warranty is incredible if they actually stand behind it.

mstateglfr 01-19-23 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ynotnow (Post 22773397)
Appreciate the replies folks!

I use Ridewrap on all my mountain bikes, but the idea of wrapping these spiraled tubes gives me a headache just thinking about how difficult it would be LOL.

- Always like the look of Helix frames. The twist is just cool. No idea if its better or worse than regular tubes, but its certainly a standout feature!
- Its a road bike, you dont need to worry about chain slap. You use it on paved roads and pedal constantly- there should be very few times where the chain is slack enough to slap, especially since the road will be smooth.
- Its a titanium frame that isnt painted, you dont need to worry about chain slap.
- If you want something that isnt clear, then consider Nubaum cotton tape. It comes in a ton of colors. Personally though, I would go for no protection or clear protection.

Ynotnow 01-19-23 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22773846)
- Always like the look of Helix frames. The twist is just cool. No idea if its better or worse than regular tubes, but its certainly a standout feature!
- Its a road bike, you dont need to worry about chain slap. You use it on paved roads and pedal constantly- there should be very few times where the chain is slack enough to slap, especially since the road will be smooth.
- Its a titanium frame that isnt painted, you dont need to worry about chain slap.
- If you want something that isnt clear, then consider Nubaum cotton tape. It comes in a ton of colors. Personally though, I would go for no protection or clear protection.

Much appreciated!

I'd never actually ridden a road bike before a few weeks ago, and that was just test riding in a parking lot.

I'm so used to it being a necessity on a mountain bike that I didn't stop to think it might not be the case on the road.

The rear derailleur has a fairly stiff clutch too, so I imagine that lessens the chain bounce even more on pavement.

Zaskar 01-19-23 08:56 AM

Congrats! That's a pretty badass ride ya got there.

Ynotnow 01-19-23 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zaskar (Post 22773861)
Congrats! That's a pretty badass ride ya got there.

Thanks!!
I'm pretty excited about the maiden voyage once the weather breaks.

I've only been able to go up and down my dead end street a few times, but was impressed by how quick and nimble it is.
Up until now I have been using my Santa Cruz Blur to ride paved surfaces, and I thought it was fast.
Compared to this thing it's a brick 😂.

Zaskar 01-19-23 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ynotnow (Post 22773870)
Thanks!!
I'm pretty excited about the maiden voyage once the weather breaks.

I've only been able to go up and down my dead end street a few times, but was impressed by how quick and nimble it is.
Up until now I have been using my Santa Cruz Blur to ride paved surfaces, and I thought it was fast.
Compared to this thing it's a brick 😂.

I'm in the SAME boat! Monday was New Bike Day for me. I've yet to ride the bike. It's KILLING ME!

Zaskar 01-19-23 09:17 AM

as mstateglfr said, chan slap really isn't a thing on the road (my gravel and mtn bikes are a different story). The only reason to protect that area on a road bike is lube/dirt/grime from the chain. And, that's really only an issue for matte paint. And really, it just requires some degreaser. So yeah, no protection for that Ti frame is my vote.

Cue the "... and that only happens if your chain has too much lube, etc." in 3... 2...

Ynotnow 01-19-23 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Zaskar (Post 22773872)
I'm in the SAME boat! Monday was New Bike Day for me. I've yet to ride the bike. It's KILLING ME!

Congrats on your new ride!!

Feel free to post up a photo in this thread since I do enjoy seeing other people's bikes and how they have them set up.

Ynotnow 01-19-23 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zaskar (Post 22773885)
as mstateglfr said, chan slap really isn't a thing on the road (my gravel and mtn bikes are a different story). The only reason to protect that area on a road bike is lube/dirt/grime from the chain. And, that's really only an issue for matte paint. And really, it just requires some degreaser. So yeah, no protection for that Ti frame is my vote.

Cue the "... and that only happens if your chain has too much lube, etc." in 3... 2...

I wax my chains on all my bikes so no worry of lube residue.
I'm thinking it's getting unwrapped when I get home tonight LOL.

Zaskar 01-19-23 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ynotnow (Post 22773894)
Congrats on your new ride!!

Feel free to post up a photo in this thread since I do enjoy seeing other people's bikes and how they have them set up.

Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...194d89000.jpeg

Ynotnow 01-19-23 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zaskar (Post 22773905)
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...194d89000.jpeg

That thing is a freakin jewel!!

I don't see any disappointments in your immediate future 😁.