Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Groton, CT: GS Trolley Trail into Neptune Drive...Still Off-Limits? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234395)

Papa Tom 07-09-21 01:59 PM

Groton, CT: GS Trolley Trail into Neptune Drive...Still Off-Limits?

I think I already know the answer to this, but a look at Google Maps today hints that something MAY have changed. Where the GS Trolley Trail forks off to the AMTRAK bridge in Groton, is the gate to Neptune Drive, Mumford's Cove, and Groton Long Point still closed?

Years ago, I detoured off the path onto Neptune, visited Groton Long Point Beach and then went through Noank on my way to Mystic, CT. The following year, there was a big fence keeping cyclists off Neptune Drive. Before I head out to Mystic in a couple of weeks, is this still the case?

UniChris 07-09-21 02:50 PM

I doubt they've opened their gate, I'd expect any new development to be along the utility corridor sort of continuing the trolley trail. Even if that's allowed it's rugged and probably overgrown this time of year.

Costs you little to go look. If it's closed just go back over the covered bridge and enter public Haley Farm at the green vehicle gate, down hill on reasonable gravel. Probably find a huge mud puddle where it levels out right now, but people walk around it on fallen branches in the woods. As you probably know that then lets you ride up through more normal subdivisions and take 215 scenically along the coast to Mystic - all you really miss is GLP itself, which can be reached if you really want to circle it from 215.

I suspect but don't yet know for absolutely certain the the parking lots of regional Grasso Tech before Fort Hill somehow connect to the new town school on top of it. Last time I detoured up there after failing on the hill they were doing construction on what looked like a drive but was fenced. Came back out and made it up the hill on route 1 after all.

If you have time another nice detour there is to take (paved) Gravel Drive a block before the Mystic drawbridge, go up around the Mystic River estuary to old Mystic then come down the far side past the seaport. It does bypass the village but you can duck in before or after. Or if you find the bridge up.

I'd also go through Avery point to bypass most of Groton city, but have probably said that in previous threads. There are decent inland routes too, like Tollhouse to 184 to Old Mystic or even further north towards Foxwoods.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...877a14af7.jpeg

rangie 07-10-21 06:52 PM

Sometimes it gets left open. You can still just go straight around the green pipe gate (still state property) down the grassy doubletrack and hang a right at the pump station (you'll smell it) onto Sunrise ave.

Papa Tom 07-10-21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by rangie (Post 22136571)
Sometimes it gets left open. You can still just go straight around the green pipe gate (still state property) down the grassy doubletrack and hang a right at the pump station (you'll smell it) onto Sunrise ave.

I attempted the grass doubletrack once on my loaded touring bike and got caught up in weeds and almost thrown off the bike. I'll be riding through there in late July, when the grass always seems to be at its peak height. Curiously, you and a few others have suggested the grassy extension, so I'm wondering if, perhaps, they've cleared it and made it more passable since last summer?

rangie 07-10-21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 22136577)
I attempted the grass doubletrack once on my loaded touring bike and got caught up in weeds and almost thrown off the bike. I'll be riding through there in late July, when the grass always seems to be at its peak height. Curiously, you and a few others have suggested the grassy extension, so I'm wondering if, perhaps, they've cleared it and made it more passable since last summer?

Sometimes they cut it, sometimes they don't. Its Connecticut.:rolleyes:

Ill have a look next time through.

Papa Tom 07-10-21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by rangie (Post 22136599)
Sometimes they cut it, sometimes they don't. Its Connecticut.:rolleyes:

Ill have a look next time through.

Ha! I meant that I wonder if they have cleared the field to, say, make way for an extension of the GS Trolley Trail. I've seen that Groton received a grant for such a project.

UniChris 07-12-21 05:30 AM

The grants were for improvents north, to a large degree in areas where the roads already present a decent option, though they may increase the range of all-ages comfortable access from housing to the trolley trail, bluff point park with its small beaches, MTB trails and fishing, and possibly the shopping areas to the west. Hopefully they see a shift to more bike usage and less of the occasional ATV incursion the trolley trail sometimes gets.

Ironically better connecting the north end of the trolley trail may deepen Mumford Cove's resolve to keep the south end gated off.

Papa Tom 07-12-21 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22138058)
The grants were for improvents north, to a large degree in areas where the roads already present a decent option, though they may increase the range of all-ages comfortable access from housing to the trolley trail, bluff point park with its small beaches, MTB trails and fishing, and possibly the shopping areas to the west. Hopefully they see a shift to more bike usage and less of the occasional ATV incursion the trolley trail sometimes gets.

Ironically better connecting the north end of the trolley trail may deepen Mumford Cove's resolve to keep the south end gated off.

Chris: What do you think about the Sunrise Avenue cut-through rangie mentioned? On Google Maps satellite view, it looks like the most obvious place to cut through, assuming I can get through all that grass.

UniChris 07-16-21 03:38 PM

Had a chance to ride through Haley Farm a few days ago to the Trolley Trail so I crossed the bridge to look.

Sadly Mumford Cove's gate is very much still there with its code keypad, though, no I didn't go up and actually rattle it.

Got in a bigger road loop the next day mostly reprising the loop above with just enough up and down to make it a good workout. Alas there was quite a bit more traffic than when I'd last done those roads during the pandemic quiet of spring 2020, not to the point of feeling unsafe, but not quite as fun. Wish I'd had time to explore further north and see what some of the back roads are now like.

Papa Tom 07-16-21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22144669)
Had a chance to ride through Haley Farm a few days ago to the Trolley Trail so I crossed the bridge to look.

Sadly Mumford Cove's gate is very much still there with its code keypad, though, no I didn't go up and actually rattle it.

Thanks, Chris. What I am mostly interested in is the condition of the grass/dirt section beyond the turn-off for the AMTRAK bridge. Of course, if the grass is low NOW, it doesn't mean it won't be three feet tall when I ride through on July 25th. I guess it will have to be a surprise!

UniChris 07-16-21 06:51 PM

The utility corridor is already quite overgrown.

In contrast Haley Farm was quite passable even after a wet week; I've seen it with a serious puddle at the bottom of the hill last spring, but it only had a minor one to the side.

Papa Tom 07-16-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22144936)
The utility corridor is already quite overgrown.

In contrast Haley Farm was quite passable even after a wet week; I've seen it with a serious puddle at the bottom of the hill last spring, but it only had a minor one to the side.

Dang! I'll never get through overgrowth like that with my panniers hanging down and my double kickstand jutting out of the bottom of the bike. I guess I need to plan another route that takes in Mumford, Groton Long Point, and Noank. Otherwise, if I fall back on the old Haley Farm route, I'll be in Mystic in under an hour.

Thanks for the info!

UniChris 07-16-21 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 22144963)
I guess I need to plan another route that takes in Mumford, Groton Long Point, and Noank. Otherwise, if I fall back on the old Haley Farm route, I'll be in Mystic in under an hour

The underlying fact to realize is that Mumford Cove is closed to outsiders. The gate is a physical manifestation at their private entrance to the trail, but the roads are posted private as well. You and I don't have to like that, but we do have to heed it.

​​​​​There's only one road into and out of Groton Long Point (and by extension Mumford Cove) so anything you do there will be a loop crossing the bridge by Esker beach twice.

Papa Tom 07-17-21 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22145131)
​​There's only one road into and out of Groton Long Point (and by extension Mumford Cove) so anything you do there will be a loop crossing the bridge by Esker beach twice.

We'll see how it goes. I may just end up turning right onto 215 after Haley Farm Park and looping around via Esker Bay and Noank toward Mystic. The next day, I'm taking a ride out to Watch Hill, RI or, if the spirit hits me, to Narragansett. This is an R&R trip, so no need to be concerned about mileage or lack of it.

Thanks again.

UniChris 07-05-22 07:25 PM

Had opportunity to try and it is now possible (at least on a holiday weekend when school is out) to bypass the road climb of Fort Hill by going in the driveway of Grasso Tech and climbing that to the new Groton Middle School and ultimately Groton High School. It's shallower than the road, though I'm not entirely convinced it's preferable.

In other changes, the G&S Trolley Trail has a new, formal, paved connection to Depot Road, replacing an informal bit of dirt or needing to go the long way around through Midway Oval.

Mumford Cove is still Mumford Cove: snooty and gated

Really the G&S Trolley Trail and going through the dirt in Haley Farm is probably the most fun unless things have been recently wet, and my 2nd choice would probably be Fort Hill on the main road.

Papa Tom 07-05-22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22564859)
Had opportunity to try and it is now possible (at least on a holiday weekend when school is out) to bypass Fort Hill by going in the driveway of Grasso Tech and climbing that to the new Groton Middle School and ultimately Groton High School. It's shallower than the road, though I'm not entirely convinced it's preferable. Really going through the dirt in Haley Farm is probably the most fun, unless things have been recently wet, and my 2nd choice would probably be Fort Hill on the main road.

I agree about Haley Farm. I don't want to beat this subject to death, but I'm really sorry the trolley trail doesn't continue past the Amtrak bridge turnoff and dump you out on Neptune. I've had many "locals" tell me stories of residents expressing their displeasure with bicyclists who DO sneak into the neighborhood, though, so truthfully, I think I'm "over" trying to make GLP and Noank a part of my route ever again.

With my annual trip up that way happening smack in the middle of a very busy, very "physical" time at work, I'm not really looking to add the climb up Fort Hill back into my ride, so I guess the leg from New London to Mystic is going to be the same old route I've been doing most of the time for 20+ years. I am coming up this year July 17-19. It will probably be a minimal bicycling trip because I want to be in Mystic on Monday night for Otis & The Hurricanes on the boardwalk. It may also be my last ride to Mystic because the hotel prices are out of control and I don't see an end in sight to the madness. It was great while it lasted, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, UniChris. I hope you get some good rides in this summer, too!

UniChris 07-05-22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 22564878)
I agree about Haley Farm. I don't want to beat this subject to death, but I'm really sorry the trolley trail doesn't continue past the Amtrak bridge turnoff and dump you out on Neptune. I've had many "locals" tell me stories of residents expressing their displeasure with bicyclists who DO sneak into the neighborhood, though, so truthfully, I think I'm "over" trying to make GLP and Noank a part of my route ever again.

YET AGAIN YOU MISSTATE THE ISSUE.

It is not Groton Long Point or Noank which is off-limits, it is Mumford Cove.

Either Haley Farm, or the school driveways, or Fort Hill itself (which is no big deal with any sane gearing) will get you to Noank, and if you desire, Groton Long Point as a loop.

And yes, Noank's bridge work is done, so it now has two means of access and you can again actually ride through it.

Papa Tom 07-05-22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22564882)
YET AGAIN YOU MISSTATE THE ISSUE.
It is not Groton Long Point or Noank which is off-limits, it is Mumford Cove.

Yes, you are correct. It's late, we start our outdoor concert season tomorrow with an 8am tech call for me, and my brain isn't working. Mumford Cove, GLP, Noank...it's all one grey patch on Google Maps to me. No need to yell. :(