Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 05-01-17 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MikeinBuffalo (Post 19550541)
Hey guys-

Saw this on CL. Looks pretty grungy but intact. You think it's worth saving? Would be my first real major restoration project.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/6112128852.html

A very loud YES! from me. The rims look pretty good. You do have to consider that when buying a DL-1. Replacing westwoods is expensive.
Here's my 35 dollar roadster before and after
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...ch/69dl001.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...20DL1-001a.jpg

adventurepdx 05-01-17 09:44 AM

Hey guys-
Saw this on CL. Looks pretty grungy but intact. You think it's worth saving? Would be my first real major restoration project.
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/6112128852.html

It's a DL-1/rod brake roadster frame, which aren't that common (though not completely rare.) If you want one, it's worth it. Image from ad:[
ATTACH]561456[/ATTACH]

EDIT - emailed the seller. He sold it within 10 minutes of listing it. Oh well.

And of course the ad is still up. :rolleyes:

BigChief 05-01-17 10:16 AM

If the rims were usable, it was a good deal. Thing is, you never really know till you pull off the tires. The expense of replacing Westwoods will quickly outpace the value of a DL-1 with rust issues.

Salubrious 05-01-17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19545831)
Question: when I pedal the left pedal spindle feels crooked or something. I replaced the cotters with ones from The Gentleman Cyclist ? Site and didn't file them. If one cotter is at a different angle would my pedal feel crooked?

Look on the pedal's bearing dust cap and see if its garred up. If the bike fell over on that side the pedal or the crank could be bent.

The tool industry made stuff for straightening crank arms. I found such a thing at a swap meet for $35.00. Its certainly paid for itself!

SirMike1983 05-01-17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19549900)
Beautiful! Calendar quality photos there. I can't get over the roads where you live. Are they all like that? I've never lived anywhere with such perfect pavement.

Thanks

I wish they were all like that one - that's the best one near me. Most are getting pretty ragged looking... lots of pot holes to dodge the past couple of years.

BigChief 05-02-17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 19552608)
Thanks

I wish they were all like that one - that's the best one near me. Most are getting pretty ragged looking... lots of pot holes to dodge the past couple of years.

Cleaver to use that spot. A dream bike on a dream road surface makes a beautiful photo. Really works well. It makes you picture yourself riding that bike on that road. I suppose us cyclists tend to notice road surfaces more than most. Especially after riding rough roads in the early springtime.

rhm 05-02-17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19545831)
Question: ... If one cotter is at a different angle would my pedal feel crooked?

No. If a pedal feels misaligned, that's a misalignment in a different dimension.

It is true that if your cotters have mismatched facets, the crank arms will not align with one another; if you feel this at all, while riding, it will present as an odd pedaling rhythm, one foot following the other a little too closely.

browngw 05-02-17 08:50 AM

Robin in the 'Hood

5 Attachment(s)
The 1971 Robin Hood Sports is ready for another season. It has not been ridden much in the last couple of years. I was being a bit of a slave to originality as the bike was largely untouched since new. This winter I made a commitment to ride it more next season or part with it. To that end, the first modification was to replace the 46T to18T gearing with a new 21T found at my LBS. The original chain, although not stretched, was also replaced and is much smoother and quieter.
The original white plastic bar tape was replaced with a modern white "cork" type tape which looks a little thick but feels great. The lack of a bottle cage was bugging me so I resorted to the old method of the twin metal straps.
Last week I did a 30km ride on mixed surfaces (limestone, pavement) and found the gearing much improved. It was able to climb my local hill easily and motor along in third in easy going. Saddle and bars were comfortable and my water bottle was handy. The newer Schwalbe Delta Cruisers felt solid and easy rolling. Perhaps "Robin in the 'Hood" will become a regular site in Port Dover this summer.

Kilroy1988 05-02-17 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19553676)
The 1971 Robin Hood Sports is ready for another season...

Lovely bicycle! Last year on Ebay a fellow had a very clean example for sale at a decent price but he wanted more than $200 to ship it within the states, and I couldn't bite that bullet. Pity, that. Feel free to share more photos of yours! It's really nice looking. :)

-Gregory

dweenk 05-02-17 09:21 AM

That is a beautiful Robin Hood.

markk900 05-02-17 12:58 PM

OT: is that a spitfire or a TR6 behind the lovely Robin Hood?

adventurepdx 05-02-17 01:24 PM

The 1971 Robin Hood Sports is ready for another season. It has not been ridden much in the last couple of years. I was being a bit of a slave to originality as the bike was largely untouched since new. This winter I made a commitment to ride it more next season or part with it. To that end, the first modification was to replace the 46T to18T gearing with a new 21T found at my LBS...Last week I did a 30km ride on mixed surfaces (limestone, pavement) and found the gearing much improved. It was able to climb my local hill easily and motor along in third in easy going.

A very nice Robin Hood indeed!

I'm a firm believer that bicycles should be ridden and enjoyed, and not remain a museum piece. 60's/70's Sports three speeds are too common to be rare, so I don't feel there's any harm in altering it in a way to make it more practical for the rider. And switching to a bigger rear cog is one of the cheapest, easiest, and most effective ways to make a three speed more enjoyable.

One question: Are those Delta Cruisers whitewall or "gumwall"? I can't tell in the pic.

gster 05-02-17 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19546413)
Here's a very clean Coffee Sports that I'm hoping to have a look at today. reasonable price.

Picked this up today. It actually looks much better in the photos than in person, but it wasn't expensive and quite complete.

The Good:

-Complete bike

-Paint is good and will clean up

-Tall frame

-Original ribbed cables (all work well

-Plastic trigger face not cracked

-Period saddle bag attached

-Chain OK

-Brooks vinyl saddle OK

The Bad:

-Tires

-Brake pads

-Incorrect pedals

-Rims have surface rust but may polish out

-Rear hub is missing the oil port (Bolt in it's place)

My plan is to strip the bike and re-assemble. More than likely I'll pass it on to someone at cost (Bike + parts). Someone contacted me last week looking for a bike so it may go to him. He's a little put off by the colour, but I like it.

gster 05-02-17 05:01 PM

The 1971 Robin Hood Sports is ready for another season. It has not been ridden much in the last couple of years. I was being a bit of a slave to originality as the bike was largely untouched since new. This winter I made a commitment to ride it more next season or part with it. To that end, the first modification was to replace the 46T to18T gearing with a new 21T found at my LBS. The original chain, although not stretched, was also replaced and is much smoother and quieter.
The original white plastic bar tape was replaced with a modern white "cork" type tape which looks a little thick but feels great. The lack of a bottle cage was bugging me so I resorted to the old method of the twin metal straps.
Last week I did a 30km ride on mixed surfaces (limestone, pavement) and found the gearing much improved. It was able to climb my local hill easily and motor along in third in easy going. Saddle and bars were comfortable and my water bottle was handy. The newer Schwalbe Delta Cruisers felt solid and easy rolling. Perhaps "Robin in the 'Hood" will become a regular site in Port Dover this summer.

I'm a little bit jealous....

browngw 05-02-17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19554550)
A very nice Robin Hood indeed!

I'm a firm believer that bicycles should be ridden and enjoyed, and not remain a museum piece. 60's/70's Sports three speeds are too common to be rare, so I don't feel there's any harm in altering it in a way to make it more practical for the rider. And switching to a bigger rear cog is one of the cheapest, easiest, and most effective ways to make a three speed more enjoyable.

One question: Are those Delta Cruisers whitewall or "gumwall"? I can't tell in the pic.

The Delta Cruisers are white walls, but it is a creamy white.

browngw 05-02-17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 19554458)
OT: is that a spitfire or a TR6 behind the lovely Robin Hood?

Actually it is a 1980 TR7 convertible owned and driven since '93.

Salubrious 05-03-17 11:20 AM

Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour coming up at the end of next week!

I don't think I'll have my 1935 Roadster quite ready by then, so its going to be the his and hers matching Humber Sports...

Mike from Iowa 05-03-17 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19556958)

I don't think I'll have my 1935 Roadster quite ready by then, so its going to be the his and hers matching Humber Sports...

There will be at least TWO sets of of his and hers Humbers then. My wife and I will be riding for the first time since 2011 on the LP3ST. We are excited to be going again. Ours are green and from the Raleigh early 70's era.

-Mike

Salubrious 05-03-17 12:03 PM

Ours will be the black early 50s roadsters (enclosed chain).

DQRider 05-03-17 12:10 PM

Do you mean this beauty (his)?

http://i.imgur.com/CTyylmR.png

I still can't get over that fork... I'd love to read the design brief for that one.

Salubrious 05-03-17 02:34 PM

That's the one. As I understand it, the fork was designed for the Beeston-Humber trike about 1880 or slightly earlier.

1901 Beeston Humber No 27 Convertible Tricycle | The Online Bicycle Museum

adventurepdx 05-04-17 11:25 AM

Alas, won't be making it this year. :(
Hopefully I can get out in 2018.
Have fun, everyone!

BigChief 05-06-17 08:28 AM

@browngw I've been scanning ebay for the right fenders for my DL-1 when I saw these. I like the look of the white fenders, but I don't remember if they are original or not. You may be interested in these.
VINTAGE ROBIN HOOD 26 INCH FENDERS SET FRONT REAR TRIUMPH RALEIGH ENGLAND NOS | eBay

browngw 05-06-17 11:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19564198)
@browngw I've been scanning ebay for the right fenders for my DL-1 when I saw these. I like the look of the white fenders, but I don't remember if they are original or not. You may be interested in these.
VINTAGE ROBIN HOOD 26 INCH FENDERS SET FRONT REAR TRIUMPH RALEIGH ENGLAND NOS | eBay

Nice looking fenders, thanks for pointing them out to me. Although I had not seen white fenders on a RH Sports before, they appear to be original including a very well preserved decal. As a matter of fact, tires, cable,s bar tape etc. were original. Screws and fasteners on the mudguards looked liked they had never been touched since assembly. The black plastic saddle from Taiwan was likely a replacement for a better British saddle that was poached for a different bike. There was conjecture when I first got the bike that a shop in Toronto had a large number of Dunelts and Robin Hoods that were sold well into the '80s.
I've attached some pictures from a few years ago when I purchased the bike in Brantford at the Canadian Vintage Bike Show. The bike was a little dusty and the inevitable oil seepage but did not look like it had seen much use.

3speedslow 05-06-17 12:16 PM

Great to see the Robin again! Port Dover should use it as part of their advertising...