Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

burger0014 08-17-15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yep (Post 18083474)
That doesn't sound right. What does "as easy as possible" look like to you?

This was 32 TSS Bike Ride Profile | Recovery ride in the most mismatched kit I could find near Hockessin | Times and Records | Strava

revchuck 08-17-15 04:40 PM

^^^That doesn't look that easy to me.

My version: recovery ride.

burger0014 08-17-15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 18083865)
^^^That doesn't look that easy to me.

My version: recovery ride.

That's about as easy as I can go outside. The hills just don't let me go any easier. Inside a recovery ride is 30 minutes, 12 TSS. Inside I have zero power spikes so that helps a lot.

shovelhd 08-17-15 06:34 PM

Same here. 25 is about all I can do around here. I hit 22 once when there was some wind.

johnybutts 08-17-15 08:34 PM

1 HR on zwift after a weekend of eating and drinking in New Orleans.

mike868y 08-18-15 07:34 AM

vo2 hills today. ouch. can't believe there's only one more set of these on my schedule for the year. road season went by too fast.

aaronmcd 08-18-15 08:51 AM

Was going to do vo2 hill repeats as well today. Did one, quite slowly, and muscles were really hurtin so quit. More recovery I guess. Also, I'm this close to mentally checking out for the season. Good thing the season is this close to being over. I think I can hang on until Henleyville. I finally understand why people need an offseason!

furiousferret 08-18-15 08:57 AM

Morning commute felt great. I was so tight from riding last week it was a struggle to even ride in the drops. After a few days of stretching no issues this morning....I should set a reminder on my phone to stretch, but then after a month it just becomes another reminder I blow off.

MDcatV 08-18-15 09:08 AM

i rode this morning and came upon about 50 dogs and 10 or so people on horses opposing me on one of the roads I ride on daily. they were practicing their fox hunting for the upcoming season. as weird as that is, it's still not as weird as cyclocross.

mike868y 08-18-15 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 18085750)
i rode this morning and came upon about 50 dogs and 10 or so people on horses opposing me on one of the roads I ride on daily. they were practicing their fox hunting for the upcoming season. as weird as that is, it's still not as weird as cyclocross.

i've run into that outside baltimore before. friggin weird.

MDcatV 08-18-15 09:30 AM

pretty common in horse country. in the fall, the actual hunts are going on all over the place on weekend mornings. kind of weird to see one at 6:45 on a random tuesday morning in august though. I don't think that they actually hunt a fox though, the dogs just sniff one out and they chase it through the fields/woods while riding on horses and wearing formal jackets and derby caps.

furiousferret 08-18-15 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 18085840)
pretty common in horse country. in the fall, the actual hunts are going on all over the place on weekend mornings. kind of weird to see one at 6:45 on a random tuesday morning in august though. I don't think that they actually hunt a fox though, the dogs just sniff one out and they chase it through the fields/woods while riding on horses and wearing formal jackets and derby caps.

That sounds awesome, probably would work best if you go full English accent, refer to everyone as 'commoner', and toss small bags of coins at people and demand they go fetch something for you.

globecanvas 08-18-15 10:07 AM

Fox hunting is the UK political hot potato equivalent of gun control here in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting#Controversy

Anyway, I set out to do 4x5 vo2max knowing it was going to be a stretch. It's not *that* hot but my god it felt outrageously hot. I managed to get 20 minutes of sloppy Z5 in.

NY state champ crit this weekend, I would prefer to go into it riding high and crushing workouts, but I don't think that's in the cards.

hubcyclist 08-18-15 10:34 AM

2x20 @ 250w inside, since it's hot and humid outdoors. Most uncomfortable part was my damn saddle, i have an antares and just can't get comfortable with it, I also tried the toupe recently and even though my sit bone measurement indicate 142 wide saddles, I'm thinking of going more narrow with the arione

caloso 08-18-15 10:45 AM

VO2max set this morning. Tire went soft about 2/3 of the way through. I suspected goat heads, but turned out to be my rim tape shifted and exposed a nipple hole.

TheKillerPenguin 08-18-15 10:48 AM

I'm supposed to do 3.5-4hrs with 6x5 just above threshold, but it's like really really hot out and there's an ozone advisory. So maybe not such a good idea.

globecanvas 08-18-15 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18086109)
I'm supposed to do 3.5-4hrs with 6x5 just above threshold, but it's like really really hot out and there's an ozone advisory. So maybe not such a good idea.

It's really awful out there.

Wylde06 08-18-15 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by hubcyclist (Post 18086052)
2x20 @ 250w inside, since it's hot and humid outdoors. Most uncomfortable part was my damn saddle, i have an antares and just can't get comfortable with it, I also tried the toupe recently and even though my sit bone measurement indicate 142 wide saddles, I'm thinking of going more narrow with the arione

My sitbones measure way wider than the Arione (like..15mm?), but that saddle is so comfortable for me. As soon as I got my TT bike I put one an Arione on it

hubcyclist 08-18-15 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wylde06 (Post 18086135)
My sitbones measure way wider than the Arione (like..15mm?), but that saddle is so comfortable for me. As soon as I got my TT bike I put one an Arione on it

Yeah, the saddle that came with my bike is like 135mm and comfortable in that regard but has a hammock profile that is uncomfortable when I'm trying to really dig in. Might stop by and try the arione and give it a go

TheKillerPenguin 08-18-15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 18086133)
It's really awful out there.

I'm going to wait til 4 since I have a meeting before then anyway, but if it's still like this out I'm going to go see Mad Max (finally).

rideaz 08-18-15 04:01 PM

I took it ez on the group ride today. I'm tired from the weekend's road race and Sunday's hard ride. Had a chance to look at the data from Saturday's RR, average HR for an hour was 170 (168 for 90 minutes). I normally have a pretty high heart rate but the elevation (7500 ft) definitely played a role. At one point in the race my HR and watts were the same number lol.

TheKillerPenguin 08-18-15 05:26 PM

Today I learned that ozone smells very much like chlorine. Fortunately the smell went away as soon as I hit the hinterlands, but man is that some weird stuff.

canuckbelle 08-18-15 05:28 PM

Just did a 15min FTP test (it was supposed to be 20min but my kickr wasn't behaving properly and was making me go harder than I wanted). I held 256w for 15min. So I figure that's about a 235w FTP.

bostongarden 08-18-15 05:29 PM

This may be blasphemy: I thoroughly enjoyed my hotel Lifecycle GX rides Friday-Sunday while I was at a conference. I did a short ride, 15 miles or so, on Monday, and then rode 49 miles today at sub-tempo to make sure I didn't over heat the engine in the heavy/humid air. The high temps were no big whoop. My technique is still getting better and that is translating into greater speed and endurance. It was cool to see that the top 12 is listed for Aug. 9 Wells Ave :-)

hack 08-18-15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 18085696)
Was going to do vo2 hill repeats as well today. Did one, quite slowly, and muscles were really hurtin so quit. More recovery I guess. Also, I'm this close to mentally checking out for the season. Good thing the season is this close to being over. I think I can hang on until Henleyville. I finally understand why people need an offseason!

Henleyville seems soooo faaaar away. I'd like to hold on that long, but not sure I can. I haven't even raced that much this year either (maybe 30 total??).

TT bike today. Chasing TSS into the sunset.