Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

SJX426 08-10-10 03:25 PM

So my last purchase at the LBS included 2 Clement Criterium Servizio Corsa tubulars. Finally put them on when the Ralleys terminated. Huge difference. I don't know anything about them but they may have latex tubes. I loose about 40 PSI in a day and require pumptig for nearly every ride. They also have removable valve cores. At first I thought they were the same ones Yellow Jersey use to sell but I don't thinks so since I found some googling that were available for $119 each.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I have?

Road Fan 08-10-10 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11267492)
So my last purchase at the LBS included 2 Clement Criterium Servizio Corsa tubulars. Finally put them on when the Ralleys terminated. Huge difference. I don't know anything about them but they may have latex tubes. I loose about 40 PSI in a day and require pumptig for nearly every ride. They also have removable valve cores. At first I thought they were the same ones Yellow Jersey use to sell but I don't thinks so since I found some googling that were available for $119 each.

You don't have the Yellow Jersey tires! If you can show the tread and the info on the sidewalks we can tell if you have modern or NOS.

Where were they made?

jfmckenna 08-10-10 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11267492)

Definitely latex.

I've sworn off the cheap Ralley's or any other budget tub. I ride tubs because I love the road feel mostly. I also love to glue them on. If I'm gonna spend the time to do it and do it right I want something that rides true, no lumps, no alignment problems nothing. I just got a box of vintage tubs actually, looking forward to mounting those.

bloom87 08-11-10 02:24 AM

i just got a wheelset (gp4 on mavic 501 - wolber as40 titane chrome on mavic 501) that is tubular

it came with old clément super condor and vittoria olimpionico (1 already blown -- have a spare)...

this bike is a performance commuter... im looking for tires that can take rough pavé and dampen the vibrations at least a tiny bit... but Im not paying for paris-roubaix stuff..... maybe a cross tubulars would be a nice idea ? it really seems like pretty much all the road models are 23 and narrower.... except the costly parigi-roubaix types... are there any cheaper options is my main question... or should i look into cross tires.... from 28 to 32c maybe ? are they hell on good pavement ?

SJX426 08-11-10 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 11267813)
You don't have the Yellow Jersey tires! If you can show the tread and the info on the sidewalks we can tell if you have modern or NOS.

Where were they made?

I am sure they are NOS as the tread looks new.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=164201

Thailand. Maybe one of the last run for Clement? Thanks for the reply.

gomango 08-11-10 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11270632)
I am sure they are NOS as the tread looks new.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=164201

Thailand. Maybe one of the last run for Clement? Thanks for the reply.

I automatically just fill them.

Have 'em on my Zullo Criterium.

Mavic GP-4s w/ Record hubs + Clement Servicio Corse tubs = Riding bliss!

I have two sets gifted by the owner of a local shop.

Were NOS before I got my mitts on them.

lotek 08-11-10 08:48 AM

the Veloflex Criterium, Gommitalia Espresso, FMB Criterium, and Challenge Criterium are all based on the tread pattern, carcass of the original Clement Criterium. Nice riding tires, they're not cheap, but then NOS Clement Criteriums are close to $200 per tire (right up there with the FMB verisions). I've heard that Clement is going to start up production again they currently have a cyclocross tire available, hopefully we can get Clement Paris-Roubaix and Criterium setas.

Marty

gomango 08-11-10 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 11270999)
the Veloflex Criterium, Gommitalia Espresso, FMB Criterium, and Challenge Criterium are all based on the tread pattern, carcass of the original Clement Criterium. Nice riding tires, they're not cheap, but then NOS Clement Criteriums are close to $200 per tire (right up there with the FMB verisions). I've heard that Clement is going to start up production again they currently have a cyclocross tire available, hopefully we can get Clement Paris-Roubaix and Criterium setas.

Marty

...and this is great info.

I also use Veloflex clinchers such as Paves and Master 22s on all of my De Rosas.

Veloflex Criteriums are indeed expensive, and you would never go "cheap" on tubs if you tried these.

On the right bike, they make perfect sense to me.

pcfxer 08-11-10 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11117741)
Like this idea!

I have had at least 3 flats in the last 500 miles, all on the Ralley. Can't complain about the price too much but the run rate is not good. Thought about repairing but at the price, maybe not worth it. My last one was yesterday on the front. I was riding with a couple of other people and didn't see what I ran over. That one lasted 520 miles.

I would consider more expensive tires, but I can't justify the cost at this rate of flats unles someone can tell me it is different.

Given the lack of respect for tubulars, I have started to monitor tubular availability at a LBS that gets NOS ones once in a while. He ends up selling them to me at nearly 50% off cause he doesn't get demand for them and they are ususally part of a package purchase he makes.

I just wrote a review on the Corsa CRs which are a +1 bump from the Rallys on sdeals. I SERIOUSLY recommend Rally owners to take one step up and try out the CRs!

The suppleness of the tire at this price is too good to pass up. I have a lot of stock on Gommitalia Champions right now so I'll be using those up before I return to the Corsa CRs. CRs are 22mm.

Btw, Champions are gum wall too.

lotek 08-11-10 09:09 AM

I found the Gommitalia Espresso for $49 each at WesternBikeworks.

Marty

SJX426 08-11-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 11270999)
.... they're not cheap, but then NOS Clement Criteriums are close to $200 per tire (right up there with the FMB verisions). I've heard that Clement is going to start up production again they currently have a cyclocross tire available, hopefully we can get Clement Paris-Roubaix and Criterium setas.

Marty

WOW! I paid $18 each. The LBS owner said he can't sell tubulars and just wanted them out of the shop!

lotek 08-11-10 10:00 AM

where is this shop? I'll buy every old tubular he has

bloom87 08-11-10 10:52 AM

is there an alternative to the paris-roubaix tire thats less expensive ?

SJX426 08-11-10 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 11271401)

There is a reason I didn't state who he is! I am about out and need replacements!

Chombi 08-11-10 11:27 AM

Not sure If I'll ever convince myself to ever buy tubulars costing a hundred bucks and over, but there must be a good reason why those Clement Criteriums cost that much. I just don't think I'm that good a rider to ever make full advantage of such expensive tires, so I'm fine with much cheaper tubulars....so far.
It is good if Clement is dusting of some of their equipment to start making more tubulars again. I think the resurgence of tubulars in the last couple of years have convinced some shops to start stocking them again, I was suprised to see one of my LBSs stocking them all of a sudden when they did nt have any on their shelves all last year and when the season started this year. Albeit they are only stocking Vittoria Rallies (half of them black sidewalls and half latex/skin sidewalls), it's nice to know that finding a quick and cheap spare is not that hard anymore.
I did bump up to a slightly more expensive tire from the Rallies recently with Schwalbe Milanos (about 45 bucks a pop). A much lighter tire and the ride seems to be a bit more comlpiant than the Rallies and they seem to also accelerate a bit faster than the Rallies too. Only thing I'm worried about is the seemingly more fragile/lighter construction of the Schwalbes. The simple file tread pattern that worried me initially, does not seem to compromise grip and stability. No flats yet so far, so I might just be lucky, but I've been riding tmy wheelset with the Rallies more that the ones with the Milanos.
Anyone here have any long term experience with the Milanos?? I want to know more about them before I buy more for the new wheelset I'll be building up soon.

Chombi

Old Fat Guy 08-11-10 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 11271401)

There's only a few shops in Beaverton, let your fingers do the walking ;)

Chombi 08-11-10 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11271887)
There is a reason I didn't state who he is! I am about out and need replacements!

Hmmmmm...could it be a shop in Beaverton Oregon:rolleyes:.......that narrows it down just a bit for us.....:D

Chombi

lotek 08-11-10 11:50 AM

Challenge Paris Roubaix are about $80 to $90 a piece. The handmade FMB tires are about $150 a piece (for the Paris Roubaix ). Gommitalia has some cross tires but I think they might be too wide and have too much tread.
well if that shop has any spare Paris Roubaix tires, I'll take em off your hands.
Hell, I'll take any spare/excess tires he wants to sell.

SJX426 08-11-10 10:16 PM

No it is not in Beaverton so it is not really a Lbs in terms of very local. Portland area would be more appropriate. He didn't have any more. They were 2 of 3 for $50. The other was a Wolber that is near the end of its life in terms of the base tape coming off. It ride OK but is now my spare.

I must say that the Clements feel faster and ride more smoothly then the Ralley's (do I hear DUH)!

Geven that my source only gets them periodically, there is not a supply that would meet the demand you guys would induce! Not to mention the variations of what he might get.

pcfxer 08-18-10 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 11275384)
No it is not in Beaverton so it is not really a Lbs in terms of very local. Portland area would be more appropriate. He didn't have any more. They were 2 of 3 for $50. The other was a Wolber that is near the end of its life in terms of the base tape coming off. It ride OK but is now my spare.

I must say that the Clements feel faster and ride more smoothly then the Ralley's (do I hear DUH)!

Geven that my source only gets them periodically, there is not a supply that would meet the demand you guys would induce! Not to mention the variations of what he might get.

DUH!

Oh and just to add..the Corsa tread sucked in some glass. I always inspect my tires after a ride and well, man I am amazed I made it home. I can actually see the inner tube at this point and I'm considering changing it and using it for a trainer tire or something.

Or I can ride it 'till she blows ;).

Those espressos seem like a good go. It seems that a group-by on some tubies may actually result in a few good buyers. Having said that I have five Gommi Champions ready to serve and that will handle the rest of the season I'm certain.

lotek 09-16-10 11:38 AM

If you're looking to buy tubulars Western Bike Works is having a 24 hour sale on all tires.
15% off all tubulars. They have the cheapest price on my personal favorite the
Gommitalia Espresso (normally $69.99).
They carry Vittoria, Veloflex, Conti, Schwalb, Tufo and a few others.

Marty

Ex Pres 09-16-10 12:54 PM

Rode my Rallys on both front and rear for the first time. A little hard, but I tried them out at 120psi. I'm going to go w/110 next time out. Still better than my Gommi Champions at anything above 100psi. What pressure are other riding their Rallys? (I'm 190# BTW)

Chombi 09-16-10 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ex Pres (Post 11475562)
Rode my Rallys on both front and rear for the first time. A little hard, but I tried them out at 120psi. I'm going to go w/110 next time out. Still better than my Gommi Champions at anything above 100psi. What pressure are other riding their Rallys? (I'm 190# BTW)

As mentioned already many times in this thread, Vittoria Rallies still present a good value for tubular tires, despite some imperfections on some of them, as they at least, do ride so much better than most HP clinchers. I already learned to inspect the Rallies closely before I buy them to avoid most of these imperfections. Only real consistent glitch with them is the stiffness/lumpiness under the basetape at the area around the valve. When it's really bad, the tire has a hard time bedding down completely on the rim and you can even end up with slight gaps between the edge of the rim and the base tape in some situations. As long as you avoid the "lumpier" Rallies, you should be OK. The other areas of the tire are ususally straight and smooth, but you should still check them closely before buying them.
I pump mine up to around 110 to 115PSI and they feel really good at that pressure, with me at around 170#.....max.
Chombi

pcfxer 09-20-10 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 11475051)
If you're looking to buy tubulars Western Bike Works is having a 24 hour sale on all tires.
15% off all tubulars. They have the cheapest price on my personal favorite the
Gommitalia Espresso (normally $69.99).
They carry Vittoria, Veloflex, Conti, Schwalb, Tufo and a few others.

Marty

Sweet I'll check it out. This month is an expensive bike month ;).

Road Fan 09-25-10 09:00 AM

Is this thread open for input? Not clear since Tom locked the parent thread ...

I guess it is!