Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244463)

Welshboy 09-20-22 01:32 PM

I've not posted for a while but I've kept up the commuting on my three-day week all through a glorious summer in the UK and I think I need to go back to the winter to remember the last time I used the car to get to and from work and it's probably the same length of time since I rode a bike with fenders. My commute is still a very short 3-mile each way and I miss how fit I was when it was 12-mile each way!

Things have just changed in work though and I'm now on a four-day week but working slightly fewer hours due to a shorter working day. On the plus side, my contract has been extended to the end of March 2023 and I think that proper retirement beckons for me then after being semi-retired since December 2018.

Rothaí 09-21-22 06:20 AM

Recent happening: went for a sea swim, followed by a pint+pizza, followed by another pint (in another pub).....forgot to remove my lights from my bike at the second pub and when I returned they'd been robbed....my (overpriced-but-excellent) Exposure front and my Ebuyfire back light!
Disgusted!!

Borrowed my brother's lights for my commute in this morning! Start at 5:30am....but a nice cycle in!

Darth Lefty 09-21-22 08:58 AM

That’s lame! I have to guess anyone stealing bike lights is pretty desperate.

I might be buying cheap lights again here soon because I can’t find any of my chargers from the present set

groovestew 09-22-22 10:50 AM

Hey everyone, I said I wasn't finished cycle-commuting this year, and I meant it! Finally back on the bike today for the first time since school started.

Got to ride on a completely rebuilt trail through a ravine today. What was once badly crumbling pavement is now smooth as glass. Some of the undulations have been smoothed out too. A bit chilly at about 5C (41F) but still wearing shorts. Wore a jacket tho.

Not riding tomorrow. Have a great rest of your week and weekend everyone!

newbikegirl 09-22-22 06:47 PM

great ride today for me, first time on my new bike.

StarBiker 09-22-22 07:03 PM

Zippier with that $22 Innova find recently......(I am not commuting, just putzing around like always)

The F 700 isn't going anywhere though....

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...90fa4ce2c9.jpg

Darth Lefty 09-22-22 08:33 PM

What rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs
And over your neighbor’s dog?

What’s good for a snack,
And sits on your back?
It’s

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cd922951.jpeg

pdlamb 09-23-22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22656675)
What rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs
And over your neighbor’s dog?

What’s good for a snack,
And sits on your back?
It’s

I want to hear more about rolling over your neighbor's dog!?

Tundra_Man 09-23-22 07:29 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1505:

Sometimes things work in your favor. I need to relish these moments...

Rain was predicted for this morning. I had prepared for this possibility and had my waterproof panniers ready. However, the rain was only predicted to last for a couple hours, and then be dry the rest of the day. The wind is supposed to come up and I'm going to have a stout headwind for the ride home.

I'm lazy. I don't like to make things harder for myself than necessary. Because of this, I wasn't looking forward to riding my rain bike home into that wind. I'd much prefer to fight the wind with my road bike, as that bike cuts the effort in half (at least it feels like half.)

When I got ready to leave the house, it wasn't raining. The approaching clouds didn't look too friendly, so rain was definitely on the way. I decided to risk it and threw my backpack on and took the road bike.

About 1/4 mile from home the sprinkles started. However, I was going to make a turn and start riding away from the approaching rain storm. I started cranking the pedals hard. Another 1/4 mile down the road the sprinkles stopped. Didn't feel any rain falling for the remainder of the commute.

I rode hard the whole 4.25 miles to the client location and made it there in just a bit over 15 minutes. A few minutes after I arrived the rain storm hit. YES! Mission accomplished.

Tundra_Man 09-23-22 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22656958)
I want to hear more about rolling over your neighbor's dog!?

I'm trying to figure out who has a name that rhymes with "slinky."

Darth Lefty 09-23-22 07:43 AM

I guess you had to be adolescent at a very specific time

sbuckaroo 09-27-22 06:22 AM

Had a dry run over the weekend to check the commute route and it was fine. I look forward to overcoming my fear of traffic and to staring to commute a few days a week.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e066cb52d7.jpg

pdlamb 09-27-22 02:54 PM

Nice day for a commute, now that the summer heat has broken. Not many songbirds along the way, though there were a few goldfinches enjoying the goldenrod. (Achoo!)

Thought I'd try to get close to my PR on the way home for one stretch, but I think the wind was out of the NW more than the W, so it probably just made me tired. :/

Tundra_Man 09-28-22 12:41 PM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1508:

36°F this morning First time for long pants this season.

Shortwave 09-29-22 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man (Post 22662293)
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1508:

36°F this morning First time for long pants this season.

Nice! Tundra man! I saw your latest YouTube video and was glad to see you post again. Keep commuting.

jaxy357 09-29-22 06:48 AM

Newb

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need to get to 10 posts before I can show you pics of my bikes...both vintage road bikes, one kept on campus, the other at home. I commute about 18 miles, most of which is by train. I live 3 miles from the train station and then my office is 1 mile from the train station on the other end. Hoping to use my Stella Arctic bike I just got yesterday to ride to the train station near my house. The main road there has a nice wide bike lane but has a lot of traffic noise from I-495 right next to it.

Do you all use phone mounts to listen to music while you ride? Seems a little "extra" but might be nice to have.

By the way, I haven't ridden a bike in like 20 years so I'm super excited to be back out there again!

Tundra_Man 09-29-22 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jaxy357 (Post 22662991)
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need to get to 10 posts before I can show you pics of my bikes...both vintage road bikes, one kept on campus, the other at home. I commute about 18 miles, most of which is by train. I live 3 miles from the train station and then my office is 1 mile from the train station on the other end. Hoping to use my Stella Arctic bike I just got yesterday to ride to the train station near my house. The main road there has a nice wide bike lane but has a lot of traffic noise from I-495 right next to it.

Do you all use phone mounts to listen to music while you ride? Seems a little "extra" but might be nice to have.

By the way, I haven't ridden a bike in like 20 years so I'm super excited to be back out there again!

Welcome! Glad to have you back to commuting.

Split commutes are a good way to make long distances (or harsh weather) bike-commutable. I do that sometimes in the winter when the temps drop below -10° F. I'll ride a little over a mile to the bus stop, then take the bus downtown, then ride another 1/2 mile to the office.

Myself, I don't listen to music when I ride. I like to hear what's going on around me and the sounds of nature. I know some others do listen to music, so it's a personal preference thing.

Tundra_Man 09-29-22 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shortwave (Post 22662941)
Nice! Tundra man! I saw your latest YouTube video and was glad to see you post again. Keep commuting.

Which reminds me, I forgot to post my latest video here for anyone suffering from insomnia:

Darth Lefty 09-29-22 07:45 AM

When I do I use earbuds and keep the phone in my pocket

groovestew 09-29-22 10:01 AM

Pretty nice morning with a bit of cloud cover, which is nice because otherwise the low sun would be right in my face at times. It's been unseasonably warm the past few days, but the trees know it's autumn.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37ca2aa325.jpg
Have a great day everyone.

Darth Lefty 10-05-22 10:33 AM

My wife is not usually up in the morning but she went to get herself a coffee today before my ride time. She got me a Picture Perfect. I didn't think twice about jamming it into the cupholder, that always works ok... but this day on this bike the drink settled and the lid ran into the upper bolt on the 3-pack rack and peeled off. I think I might have lost as much as an ounce!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50afb206a.jpeg

pdlamb 10-05-22 01:43 PM

Darth: Oh, the horror! :)

Sunny ride today with a breeze. (Why does the breeze disappear when the temperature goes over 80F?) I noticed the forested part of the ride was very quiet; I guess the songbirds caught the ride south from the last cold front. Also noticed a few monarch butterflies, presumably headed to Mexico -- we usually have some in the late summer in my wife's flowers out in front of the house, but I haven't seen any there this summer.

Ah, the things people in cars miss seeing!

groovestew 10-07-22 10:39 AM

Let me tell you about my commute today.

I had a major disconnect between my brain and my gut this morning. My brain knew it was Friday. I knew I had a weekly teleconference to attend at 9:30 am. Now, I had intended to ride to work yesterday. Things didn’t work out, and I deferred my ride to today instead. However, this morning, when setting out on my ride, my instinct was stuck on the day I had intended to ride: yesterday/Thursday.

Why does that matter?

Well, for the past 6 weeks and for the next 4 weeks or so, from Thursday night until Monday morning, some major construction is closing a small chunk of trail on my normal and most direct route to work. It makes a big difference, because right from my driveway, I would head in opposite directions depending on if it was Thursday or Friday. I went the Thursday direction this morning.

The trail closure comes at just about the halfway point between home and the office. It’s at the bottom of the valley, at a suspended pedestrian/cycling bridge under a freeway, over the river. There is no alternate route, no detour. There is a sign indicating that the trail is closed at the top of the valley. But when the sign is on the other side of a fence, 20 feet from the path, angled slightly away from the path, and I’m riding into the blinding sun, I think I can be forgiven for missing it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ab2262bf22.jpg

So I had to backtrack about 3/4 of the way back home, at which point I had to decide whether to just go back all the way, change, and drive to work, or continue riding and take the long way. I didn’t know what time it was (my phone was in my backpack), but some quick math told me I might still be able to make it to the office by 9:30 (left home at 8:15, estimated it took about 30 minutes to get to the closure and back to the decision point, about 45 minutes to the office from that point = 9:30). Besides, the TC was another pointless meeting that rarely accomplishes anything, and so what if I was late? Or miss it entirely? So I rode.

Pulled into the office at 9:26.

Y’know, it was a pretty nice morning for a bike ride. A bit chilly (just above freezing), but hardly a breeze. Thick fog in the valley. I would have liked to take more pictures, but I was in a bit of a rush.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cb6f8b1bb5.jpg

Oh, and the TC was a complete waste of time. Some general chit chat for several minutes among the more talkative folks, then realizing we had no business to discuss. My life is a Dilbert comic.

Have a great weekend everyone. It’s Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend!

Tundra_Man 10-07-22 12:31 PM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1514:

32°F this morning. First official freeze we've had this season. Thankfully there was only an extremely light headwind on the way to the office, so it wasn't a bad ride at all.

Darth Lefty 10-07-22 02:08 PM

In spite of all the kid-chauffeuring in the afternoon, I've been taking the time to ride in the morning. Four simple laps this week after flying back Monday.

Having a simple, reliable bike helps a lot! The MTB is way more fun but has a lot more moving parts.

groovestew 10-13-22 09:57 AM

Officially, it was 2°C this morning, but according to the thermometer on my house in the 'burbs, it was -1°C (0°C is the freezing point for anyone who speaks only Fahrenheit). I know that the thermometers that the weather service use are more accurate than my plastic "Accu-Temp", but there was definitely frost on the grass along my route, so I'm inclined to think that at least some parts of the city were below freezing. I definitely did not wear warm enough gloves, a problem I have every year around this time when I forget how to dress for cold weather cycling.

Anyway, it was a pretty nice commute.

Tundra_Man 10-13-22 10:28 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1518:

39°F this morning. We've had colder mornings this fall, but the real story was the wind. 30 mph headwind out of the north with gusts much higher made it feel about 20 degrees colder. Brrrr...

Had an eye exam scheduled right away in the morning, so I rode there first and then went to the office. I didn't previously have an optometrist, so I picked one whose office is literally right next to a MUP trailhead.

My 53 year old eyes are still in good shape. Doctor just suggested maybe some readers would be helpful. Off-the-shelf readers were too strong so I had to custom order a set. When I tried them on and looked in the mirror, this is my first thought as to what I looked like:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25b7a80e54.jpg

Tundra_Man 10-18-22 07:07 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1520:

25°F this morning with a steady 15mph north headwind. Made things feel pretty chilly.

There's a park I ride through where the beavers have been attacking the trees over the last couple weeks. This morning I noticed we lost another one:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78c83f1276.jpg

Tundra_Man 10-18-22 07:24 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1521:

Temp dropped down to 17°F this morning. Fall has officially arrived. Thankfully the wind was pretty light so while it was cold, it wasn't unbearable. This temp will feel pretty nice come February, but my body hasn't quite acclimated yet.

With the temp dropping below 20, I moved to the next layer of cold weather gear. Below this threshold I add: full balaclava instead of just my headband, ski goggles instead of just glasses, and a full sleeve shirt instead of just a t-shirt. No snow has fallen yet, so I was still on my road bike. Might as well enjoy the speed while I can, although at these temps "speed" on my road bike means about 13 mph.

Had one brief moment of panic: I was barreling down a hill in the dark when suddenly I realized that some idiot was still running their lawn sprinkler, and the water had flowed out into the street and created about 50 yards of sheet ice. By the time I saw it there was no chance at slowing down, so I just pointed the bike straight and held on. Somehow the skinny road bike tires stayed upright the whole way. Yikes! Seriously, our lawns stopped growing a month ago; stop watering your lawn!

I also got a chance to try my birthday present for the first time. Last June my wife got me a pair of neoprene socks. They're technically made for scuba diving, but I figured they probably will work for cold weather as well. Up until today it's been too warm to use them, so they've just sat on my shelf next to my balaclava. Today was the day to give them their inaugural run! They worked pretty well at keeping most of my feet warm, but my toes were still pretty cold. I think I'm going to still need my toe warmers on top of these scuba socks. The other thing I noticed was going forward I should probably wear regular socks under them. While my toes were icy, the rest of my foot was sweaty and there was nowhere for the moisture to go as the neoprene doesn't breathe. It would be good to have an absorption layer otherwise these neoprene socks are going to get funky quick.

A few minutes after I got to the office, a co-worker who also rides walked in the door. He's fighting a rare autoimmune disease, so normally he chooses not to ride below 20°F. For whatever reason he decided to make an exception today and ride anyway. I was standing in the break room when he came in all bundled up for the weather, similar to how I had been a few minutes prior. The first thing he said to me was, "Do you ever start to wonder if we're both a little crazy?" lol

Dropped my latest bicycle commuting video:

groovestew 10-18-22 09:04 AM

We still haven't officially been below freezing yet here in Edmonton, though I saw frost on the neighbour's roof across the street this morning. It actually felt warmer than when I rode last week, and I wondered if I could have just worn shorts. Later this week we could get some snow, but it should melt right away. Pretty nice commute. Cool, crisp, and still air. Saw some geese heading south, a true sign of autumn. Have a great week, everyone.