Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Skoolin' (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1262214)

velojym 10-30-22 05:42 PM

Skoolin'

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e2aebe12b5.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...554dea4ea6.jpg
At QBP in Colorado ...U of Q bike repair institute, formerly Barnett. When I get home, I'm gonna have a LOT of work to do on my bikes.

Bogey Speedwell 10-30-22 05:51 PM

Looks like fun!

new career? Continuing education? Or just something you wanted to do for yourself?

velojym 11-18-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell (Post 22695759)
Looks like fun!

new career? Continuing education? Or just something you wanted to do for yourself?

A little of all 3. At 52, I still haven't found my niche professionally, and the bike was so fun for me, that it countered my Dad's pounding in "If it's fun, it ain't WORK!" through my youth. I know better, sure, but it can be hard to break that kind of conditioning. I don't think I could stand all day every day in the same spot working on bikes anymore, but with my mix of experience, and a little training here and there, I'm sure I can find some way to keep the mortgage paid and have a bit of fun doing it.

The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business, with a side of coaching in "Proficient Cycling". The latter would be a 'catch up' course for those who learned to ride as kids, and need a little help getting back on without looking like a complete noob. I'd leave the race coaching to race coaches, and concentrate on road safety, brake/shifter operation, basic owner performed maintenance, etc.

Dan Burkhart 11-18-22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by velojym (Post 22714496)
A little of all 3. At 52, I still haven't found my niche professionally, and the bike was so fun for me, that it countered my Dad's pounding in "If it's fun, it ain't WORK!" through my youth. I know better, sure, but it can be hard to break that kind of conditioning. I don't think I could stand all day every day in the same spot working on bikes anymore, but with my mix of experience, and a little training here and there, I'm sure I can find some way to keep the mortgage paid and have a bit of fun doing it.

The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business, with a side of coaching in "Proficient Cycling". The latter would be a 'catch up' course for those who learned to ride as kids, and need a little help getting back on without looking like a complete noob. I'd leave the race coaching to race coaches, and concentrate on road safety, brake/shifter operation, basic owner performed maintenance, etc.

I attended Barnett’s 18 1/2 years ago at age 50. I was the oldest in the class but not by a lot. John Barnett was still hands on at that time.
Well worth it to me.

Schweinhund 11-18-22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by velojym (Post 22714496)
The thing that comes to mind, for me, is a mobile bike repair business,

I've considered this, and while a great idea, it limits you to one customer at a time. To me it seems that a rescue ride and repair would be the best of both worlds.
Contract with a person(s) (wife?) for the rescue pickup and you stay at the shop and pay the bills.
If you're picking up roadies they are going to be thankful either way.

TiHabanero 11-18-22 05:34 PM

Velojym, was the school run by former Bartlett employees or are they all QBP people now. I imagine that is the case at this point.

IcySwan1 11-20-22 06:03 PM

I am a scheduled to take a 2 week class at United Bicycle Institute in October 23. I will be 72 then and no doubt the oldest student. I am not looking for another career, just some structured experience in working on all aspects of bikes. I think it will be worth it, but won’t know until I do it.

Mike

Andrew R Stewart 11-20-22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Schweinhund (Post 22714698)
I've considered this, and while a great idea, it limits you to one customer at a time. To me it seems that a rescue ride and repair would be the best of both worlds.
Contract with a person(s) (wife?) for the rescue pickup and you stay at the shop and pay the bills.
If you're picking up roadies they are going to be thankful either way.

Not always so. When looking to expand one's customer list it can pay to service event rides and offer business place (as it is post C19...) visits. I've done event service quite a few times and one goes from being bored to totally overwhelmed way quickly. The few mobile guys I've talked to have suggested they couldn't survive on single customer visits. But we can dream. Andy (who would rather have his shop out of sight of the customer)

velojym 11-27-22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 22714707)
Velojym, was the school run by former Bartlett employees or are they all QBP people now. I imagine that is the case at this point.

Both. They've moved the operation to the new QBP building in Broomfield, and I think they're trying to stay true to BBI's method. Still using the DX for most of it as well.