Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 07-18-20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594567)
I think that there should be a law that you need to explicitly disclose the inclusion of raisins in any baked goods. Whilst out on our day of family fun, I got a peach crisp only to find friggin' raisins mixed in with the peaches. Damn savages.

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21594576)
Actually, if I looked up and saw a meteor, I might just raise a glass of champagne to it.

There's a song about that. I'll see if I can find it. Here it is:

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594602)
offer is in, multiple offers have to be in by Monday at 5, so now we wait but Iím pretty sure we outbid everyone.

Mrs. H and I got a 2L growler of a nice strawberry rhubarb sour tonight from our local brewery, itís incredible.

What exactly is a strawberry rhubarb sour?

DougRNS 07-18-20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594735)
Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

you forgot raisin cookies. Farrell Baking Company* made the best. They were sublime.

*A scant few miles from Sharpsville.

I like Raisins in any form.

rjones28 07-18-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594567)
I think that there should be a law that you need to explicitly disclose the inclusion of raisins in any baked goods. Whilst out on our day of family fun, I got a peach crisp only to find friggin' raisins mixed in with the peaches. Damn savages.

:cry:

DougRNS 07-18-20 07:43 PM

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

You also forgot to add "in my opinion "

MoAlpha 07-18-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594720)
Thanks again. I'm pretty happy. 2 minutes off the podium, so I'm not setting the world on fire, but they're TT only guys, for the most part. Some of us upper middle aged guys don't actually like crits, and other mass start stuff, and just do TT's. I tried that after I went down, and I couldn't do it. Vo2 on a TT bike is a world that needs to be lived in. It's crazy hard, and you wonder why in heavens name you're messing about like that.

I hadnít done a TT in about 33 years before this season and Iíve found I sort of like the discipline, even though Iím slow and it hurts. Life is unpredictable, but I will never be even slightly tempted to consider thinking about the concept of possibly riding a crit again in this one.

Velo Vol 07-18-20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21594764)
you forgot raisin cookies

I did not forget.

MoAlpha 07-18-20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21594753)

Sounds like something my no-good daughter and her neíer do well man would drink.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21594734)
+1

Thanks!

WhyFi 07-18-20 08:04 PM

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

No.
No.
.....eh, okay. But I'd prefer blueberries or cranberries.
No.
No.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21594788)
I hadnít done a TT in about 33 years before this season and Iíve found I sort of like the discipline, even though Iím slow and it hurts. Life is unpredictable, but I will never be even slightly tempted to consider thinking about the concept of possibly riding a crit again in this one.

It's the drug of choice. I'm not great, and have no sprint, but I still find them fun. If they could go hard for like 3-4 laps, instead of surge, I stand a better chance. I can hang with the surges, but have little left for the end.

WhyFi 07-18-20 08:05 PM

A sour is a type of beer, very tart. They're often flavored with various fruits.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594723)
I looked at TT bikes the other day. :o I mean, online. But still. Yeah, I kinda want one.

Ohhh.... The schwag factor is stupid high on those. So much expensive speed to be bought.

kissTheApex 07-18-20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594602)
offer is in, multiple offers have to be in by Monday at 5, so now we wait but Iím pretty sure we outbid everyone.

Mrs. H and I got a 2L growler of a nice strawberry rhubarb sour tonight from our local brewery, itís incredible.

Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21594636)
I do not, and I have had a power amp failure twice before with two other amps so I'm always a little suspicious of that. My Traynor was such a PITA about that.

It's a good idea to check, but I'm pretty sure the issue is between the preamp and effect loop send. Everything sounds great with the P2 acting as a preamp going straight in to the effect loop return, and if I take everything out of the loop and plug directly into the amp everything sounds fine as well.

Very frustrating.

phrantic09 07-18-20 08:51 PM

a sour ale brewed with strawberry and rhubarb

it looks like:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c0ba29e6.jpeg
my kid made the coaster

Velo Vol 07-18-20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594810)
No.
No.
.....eh, okay. But I'd prefer blueberries or cranberries.
No.
No.

No.

WhyFi 07-18-20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594871)
No.

Incorrect.

seedsbelize 07-18-20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594864)
a sour ale brewed with strawberry and rhubarb

it looks like:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c0ba29e6.jpeg
my kid made the coaster

Beautiful coaster

Heathpack 07-18-20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594414)
Well hell. My watts were pathetic, but I'm sveldt, and I've pulled a crap ton of spacers, so I'm looking a little more like something that may be slightly more aero than a brick. I must have looked like I was using one of those stair stepper/elliptical type bikes prior, because I pulled a lot out... I finally broke an hour on a 40k TT, even though I was begging for a flat tire with 40 minutes gone... Oh my oh my was it hot. 58:43. I'll take it.

well done, thatís a serious achievement

its doubtful we will be racing any time soon with COVID spikes

which is an ok thing by me right now actually

im wondering if Iíll ever get back to it

Heathpack 07-18-20 10:03 PM

We went to Yosemite last week. They are limiting admissions due to COVID, only about 50% capacity. I figured nowís the time to go, if I ever wanted to see it in summer. So we packed up the dogs and rented a cabin and took off for 4 days. Iíd never been before.

Day 1 we arrived early and ran smack dab into a deer-in-a-meadow cliche

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...102fd719f.jpeg

Trip got off to a fine start.

Then we hiked to the top of Vernal Falls. I read the trail was only a mile, I was figuring on 45 min. Lol, yeah itís a mile straight up. Literally stairs hacked into the granite for a mile. And we had to hike 2 miles to get to the trailhead, on account of COVID changes to parking access and also no shuttles running. And I fully understood that you had to go down John Muir Trail and couldnít come back down the Mist Trail (to/from) Vernal Fall. But I didnít know that the John Muir Trail went up more before it came down. There went 4 hours. But: totally worth it. The waterfall is majestic.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b3765091c.jpeg

Day 2 started with Puppy Love snatching a vole right out of its burrow, killing it instantly, and then Baby Ash trying to grab it and me stepping in dog doo trying to break up the tug of war. Then off to Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. Where we were able to drive right up to the trailhead (on account of arriving so early) and hike the grove with only two other people in it. It was so serene and beautiful.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e91df75c3.jpeg

Then we hiked out to Taft Point, where you can walk right to the edge of the cliff that makes up the wall of Yosemite Valley and plunge 3500 feet to your death, should you so choose. We saw some cool rock formations called the Fissures in which ginormous cracks were present in the rock all the way to the valley floor. 3500 ft deep cracks, they were hard to capture in a photo, in part because itís terrifying to get too close to them.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7638e06ea.jpeg

Then we drove out to Washburn overlook and Glacier Point. From which you get a great view of Yosemite Valley and begin to understand the scale of the place. In the pic below, you can see Half Dome, To the right, note Nevada Falls. Thatís the waterfall *above* Vernal Falls, that we chose not to hike too on account of being wiped from just getting to Vernal Falls. Then zoom way way in on the pic and the tiny waterfall below Nevada Falls is the majestic Vernal Falls from Day Oneís hike. Yosemite is positively epic. Giant things dwarfing other giant things dwarfing still other giant things.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d36613c00.jpeg

When we got back, we took the dogs down to the Merced River for a swim (well wade actually). They liked being with us, and thought the River was semi-cool but mostly they liked the tortilla chips that a picnicking family spilled on the beach.

Day three we got up super early to drive out to Tioga Pass Rd to see a few alpine forest type of sights. Puppy Love I guess expected to come with, on account of the river trip the afternoon prior maybe. She starts barking furiously when we left the cabin, we turned back to look and through the window we see he jump out of her ex pen onto the TV console from which sheís watching us depart in barking disbelief. We sorted her out (crate time, baby!) and off we went.

Saw a marmot and deer and carbonated water bubbling from the ground at Toulmne Meadows but no flowers, so: no pics. Then we hiked alongside the beautiful alpine Tenaya Lake. Hello gorgeous.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...909ea784f.jpeg

We were kind of hiked out at this point. Did a half mile more at Olmsted Point (epic views of the back of Half Dome) and a picnic lunch by Yosemite Creek, dipping our toes in the water that would soon enough be Yosemite Falls.

The Cabin we were renting had a sleeping porch, so I thought it would be cool to sleep there on our last night with the dogs to ďpracticeĒ camping. Lol Mr H was a hard no, he preferred the king bed inside with air conditioning. The dogs thought it was fun, for an hour. Then they wanted in too. So in the end I slept out there by myself (I had made up the bed, no way was it ok for no one to sleep in it, lol).

Next morning at dawn, the dogs wanted back out on the porch. Turns out the cabin has a bat problem, Baby Ash was mesmerized by the bats landing on the house and then disappearing into the eaves. Puppy Love really likes to sleep in. Not even fluttering bats could stir her.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3323c913.jpeg

It was a great trip, so glad we went. Crowds were minimal, and non existent early. It was an old fashioned trip- we hiked, picnicked, cooked dinner at the cabin, hung out. So nice!

We bought an annual pass for all the NPs. Who knows what will happen with COVID, but right now weíre planning (to the point of having reservations) on Sequoia and Kings Canyon in Aug, Bryce Canyon NP in late Aug (on the way to Park City), Arches and Canyonlands NPs in early October (Continuing Education meeting for me in Moab), Joshua Tree NP late October, and the Grand Canyon (on the way to Sedona) in November. Thinking about Yosemite again next June and maybe Lassen Volcanic NP/Redwood NP/Crater Lake NP/Bend OR next July. No specific 2020 plans though.

datlas 07-19-20 04:02 AM

Looks fantastic Heathpack. Kudos!

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594723)
I looked at TT bikes the other day. :o I mean, online. But still. Yeah, I kinda want one.

Do please get a very good TT fit before you even fall in love with one model.

datlas 07-19-20 04:53 AM

News Flash: zero percent chance datlas will get a TT bike.

datlas 07-19-20 04:54 AM

Heat/humidity even worse today. Plan is to be home before 10:30.