Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 09-27-21 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22247579)
It can be done with a bit of tape.

Tape adds time and just ensures that you're wound up in whole number revolutions.

datlas 09-27-21 02:09 PM

Thread idea: "The death of the death of rim brakes."

Too meta??

genejockey 09-27-21 02:10 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22247568)
I will say this on spokes: if I build another set of wheels in the future, I'll pay the premium for bladed spokes; to me, the visual for wind-up is worth it, alone.

I've heard of using Magic Marker on one side, especially on butted spokes. I worry about wind-up when I'm truing the old, old wheels on my C&V bikes, so I always hold the spoke between my fingers while tightening - or loosening for that matter.

I don't think I can fit bladed spokes thought the round holes on a pair of 7400 hubs, however.

WhyFi 09-27-21 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22247591)
I've heard of using Magic Marker on one side, especially on butted spokes. I worry about wind-up when I'm truing the old, old wheels on my C&V bikes, so I always hold the spoke between my fingers while tightening - or loosening for that matter.

I've done both - sharpie on black spokes doesn't work very well, though I suspect you'd be looking at silver. I found pinching while tightening to be pretty imprecise, though I'm sure experience helps. Again, prolly moot for your hubs, but for my money and ease of use, I'll happily pay the premium in the future.

Besides, bladed spokes are *way* faster. ;)

genejockey 09-27-21 02:20 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22247601)
I've done both - sharpie on black spokes doesn't work very well, though I suspect you'd be looking at silver. I found pinching while tightening to be pretty imprecise, though I'm sure experience helps. Again, prolly moot for your hubs, but for my money and ease of use, I'll happily pay the premium in the future.

Besides, bladed spokes are *way* faster. ;)

I suppose I could buy some needle files and file slots in all 64 holes.... :roflmao2:

genejockey 09-27-21 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247589)
Thread idea: "The death of the death of rim brakes."

Too meta??

Interesting idea. I suppose if the internet existed in the late 19th Century, bicycle forums would have lamented the death of the highwheeler as the safety bicycle took over.

datlas 09-27-21 02:25 PM

Fun fact: you can still "like" posts in a closed thread. Not sure it's supposed to be that way, but you can.

genejockey 09-27-21 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247613)
Fun fact: you can still "like" posts in a closed thread. Not sure it's supposed to be that way, but you can.

I imagine it's more of a feature than a bug. If a thread were THAT bad, "they" would delete it.

LesterOfPuppets 09-27-21 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22247579)
It can be done with a bit of tape. And then you're not stuck with those ****** bladed spokes. I don't know what it is about bladed spokes, but we don't see eye to eye.

They are visually unappealing to me as well. I'll keep using Scotch tape when I want to watch the spokes wind up.

sbxx1985 09-27-21 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247586)
I've never heard that as a legitimate excuse for non-prosecution. Few criminals ever pay restitution or fines.

Inability to pay would certainly be a reason not to file a civil suit.

Big nice Ford diesel, so the cyclists will sue with Johnny Juvenile driving daddy's truck. Shouldn't be enough, but maybe they settle at the insurance policy limits. Meanwhile Johnny gets charged with a couple counts of vehicular assault with a ton of restitution that goes away when the civil case gets settled. Johnny doesn't go to detention and the cyclists, broken and damaged, feel a sense of injustice.

The end.

genejockey 09-27-21 02:46 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22247628)
They are visually unappealing to me as well. I'll keep using Scotch tape when I want to watch the spokes wind up.

To me it depends on the wheel. Bladed spokes on a classic 32 spoke wheel with a 25 year old polished aluminum hub would just look strange. With a modern, black, 24 spoke hub, they work.

seedsbelize2 09-27-21 02:51 PM

I passed a largish solar farm on my ride on Sunday. I found myself thinking that guy would make a pretty penny selling it off to the grid. Looking around, I saw no wires. No wires for miles around. This morning, while returning from Merida by the back way, on a stretch of road I frequently ride in the winter, same thing. I will be paying more attention in the future.

seedsbelize2 09-27-21 02:54 PM

With all this Ironman talk, I've begun to think about building mine back up. It could be my dedicated nighttime bike. I have two(count'em) dynamo wheels sitting unused, and two sets of lights. And now that I think about it, a bb dynamo with it's own set of lights.

genejockey 09-27-21 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22247658)
With all this Ironman talk, I've begun to think about building mine back up. It could be my dedicated nighttime bike. I have two(count'em) dynamo wheels sitting unused, and two sets of lights. And now that I think about it, a bb dynamo with it's own set of lights.

Dynamo Hub? Wasn't that a Frank Zappa song?

Velo Vol 09-27-21 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22247512)
I am not kidding when I say that I was in the building or about 20 min. and with the doctor for maybe 5 min.

Doctors bill by the minute?

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22247582)
Note:
The area around 6 flags is a "food desert" so it might be a last resort thing. It doesn't make sense to us but it might work for reasons unknown.

Usually when people are talking about food deserts they're talking grocery stores/markets.

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22247634)
cyclists, broken and damaged, feel a sense of injustice

Since the day I started.

sbxx1985 09-27-21 03:09 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22247512)
I am not kidding when I say that I was in the building or about 20 min. and with the doctor for maybe 5 min.

When I used to have to bill hours I would always wrestle with questions like "Should I knock off a couple of minutes because I went to the bathroom even though I was thinking about what UI was working on? We used to bill in 15 min. increments. That all changed, at least at larger firms, when federal bankruptcy courts got annoyed at how much of a debtor's assets were going to legal fees in bankruptcy proceedings. They started changing their rules to require billing in 6 min. increments. Other clients then said "Hey. If your billing system can do that for debtor clients it can do it for me. You want to keep my business, you have to bill in 6 min. increments."

Interestingly, I and a former colleague once billed part of a Saturday morning bike ride. We were discussing a brief we had to write on a novel issue and actually came up with a good outline and arguments during the ride on Forbidden Drive.

I bill in six minute increments. Maybe it's changed, but that was the least our billing company would allow when we opened in 2005.

Mojo31 09-27-21 03:13 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22247673)
I bill in six minute increments. Maybe it's changed, but that was the least our billing company would allow when we opened in 2005.

I used to do quarter hour minimums, but not long ago switched to tenths. There are pros and cons to both.

sbxx1985 09-27-21 03:16 PM

I had a couple cases involving cyclists one summer. Careless driving resulting in death/serious bodily injury. Tough cases, but I was the right person for them.

Mojo31 09-27-21 03:17 PM

A lawyer approached the Pearly Gates of Heaven

“I’m only 45 years old! Why is it already my time to depart? Send me back to Earth right now or I’ll sue you!” he angrily snapped to the gatekeeper.

“Based to the records of your billable hours, Mr. Lawyer, you’re 98 years old.”, replied the gatekeeper.

sbxx1985 09-27-21 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247678)
I used to do quarter hour minimums, but not long ago switched to tenths. There are pros and cons to both.

I could never justify talking to someone on the phone for a few minutes and charging them a boatload for it.

MoAlpha 09-27-21 03:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247586)
I've never heard that as a legitimate excuse for non-prosecution. Few criminals ever pay restitution or fines.

Inability to pay would certainly be a reason not to file a civil suit.

It came up in a case here a couple of years ago, where the defendant had considerable income and there was supposedly some kind of deal to keep him out of jail so he could continue to work for the victim(s).

On another subject, how do you feel about Ray vs. Garmin vs. B&G? My electrician likes Garmin, which I've never used. He just sent me a link to his Strava feed.

MoAlpha 09-27-21 03:24 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247589)
Thread idea: "The death of the death of rim brakes."

Too meta??

"I'm not pro disc, I'm just anti-anti disc."

Probable BF quote.

WhyFi 09-27-21 03:25 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22247688)
I could never justify talking to someone on the phone for a few minutes and charging them a boatload for it.

Look at you - being a decent human being and stuff!

;)

Mojo31 09-27-21 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22247688)
I could never justify talking to someone on the phone for a few minutes and charging them a boatload for it.

When I was using quarter hour minimums, I would often no-charge those short calls even though I would show them on the bill. I changed to tenths so I could capture some of that back.

Mojo31 09-27-21 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22247693)
It came up in a case here a couple of years ago, where the defendant had considerable income and there was supposedly some kind of deal to keep him out of jail so he could continue to work for the victim(s).

On another subject, how do you feel about Ray vs. Garmin vs. B&G? My electrician likes Garmin, which I've never used. He just sent me a link to his Strava feed.

I had Raymarine on my last boat, but nothing very sophisticated - speed, depth, and logs. Had a simple autopilot. Being on a lake, there was no need for wind, chartplotter, or more sophisticated speed instruments in my mind. I just sailed it like a dinghy. The stuff I had worked very well for over 10 years.

Things had changed a lot over that 10 years, but I didn't keep up with it.

On the little racing boat I had TackTick.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.