Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   700 x 19 or 20 Tires (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251617)

Bianchi84 05-12-22 12:05 PM

700 x 19 or 20 Tires

Wider tires seem to be the train everyone is jumping on. Is there anyone out there, like me, who used to use 19c or 20c clinchers and never had a problem?
I have searched, but is anyone making a 19 or 20c skinwall-type tire anymore? I think I had Trek and Panaracers "back in the day". It seems "the man" is forcing everyone into blackwall wide tires!

ThermionicScott 05-12-22 01:45 PM

You skinny-tire diehards are coming out of the woodwork lately. :)

The Duro company still makes a 700x20C, not sure about availability: https://www.duro.com.tw/en/product/b...8ac0f67bb13a8/

Are you up for tubulars? There are a lot more options for ~20mm tires in that format. Maybe you could hit up Catnap for the wheels. ;)

smd4 05-12-22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchi84 (Post 22504077)
Wider tires seem to be the train everyone is jumping on. Is there anyone out there, like me, who used to use 19c or 20c clinchers and never had a problem?
I have searched, but is anyone making a 19 or 20c skinwall-type tire anymore? I think I had Trek and Panaracers "back in the day". It seems "the man" is forcing everyone into blackwall wide tires!

I know, right? I couldn't have written this better myself! I used to ride 700 x 20 Continentals back in the day. I was always curious to try the 19s, but never did. I'm riding 700 x 23 Veloflex Master skinwalls, and was happy to find those (they measure slightly narrower than 23 mm on my bike). I decided to buy a second pair while I could based on the market moving away from narrow, high pressure tires. Folks here seem more interested in "comfort" than the road feel of a nice high-pressure narrow clincher. Finding anything narrower in skinwall/gumwall has been difficult, although I do recall prior posts where some have been recommended. Good luck, and keep the faith!

Bianchi84 05-12-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22504212)
You skinny-tire diehards are coming out of the woodwork lately. :)

The Duro company still makes a 700x20C, not sure about availability: https://www.duro.com.tw/en/product/b...8ac0f67bb13a8/

Are you up for tubulars? There are a lot more options for ~20mm tires in that format. Maybe you could hit up Catnap for the wheels. ;)

Thanks! I originally had tubulars but switched to clinchers after the first few flats. I'm really not interested in reliving that pain!

Bianchi84 05-12-22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504219)
I know, right? I couldn't have written this better myself! I used to ride 700 x 20 Continentals back in the day. I was always curious to try the 19s, but never did. I'm riding 700 x 23 Veloflex Master skinwalls, and was happy to find those (they measure slightly narrower than 23 mm on my bike). I decided to buy a second pair while I could based on the market moving away from narrow, high pressure tires. Folks here seem more interested in "comfort" than the road feel of a nice high-pressure narrow clincher. Finding anything narrower in skinwall/gumwall has been difficult, although I do recall prior posts where some have been recommended. Good luck, and keep the faith!

Thanks for the support! I'll look into those Veloflex. I never understood why the switch to wider tires.. cost of manufacture? Can get away with lower thread count? Modern carbon rims need coddling? Who knows! As I said, my (now unfashionably) narrow clinchers worked perfectly!

smd4 05-12-22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchi84 (Post 22504253)
I never understood why the switch to wider tires.. cost of manufacture? Can get away with lower thread count? Modern carbon rims need coddling? Who knows!

It doesn't seem to be any of those things (although I'm not speaking from a manufacturer's perspective--maybe it is to save costs?). From what I gather, it's something about "comfort," like people want their race bikes to ride like Lincoln touring cars or something. Never understood this myself. I get this when it comes to gravel bikes or touring bikes, etc. But a thoroughbred road racer?? I won't even get in to the studies that folks use to justify wide, low-pressure tires.

Originally Posted by Bianchi84 (Post 22504253)
As I said, my (now unfashionably) narrow clinchers worked perfectly!

Yep. Same here.

shoota 05-12-22 02:15 PM

yawn

Vittoria makes several versions of their tire lineup in 23c and tanwall. 23c isn't much wider than 20.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...kaAkWUEALw_wcB

ClydeClydeson 05-12-22 02:21 PM

It's not about having a 'problem' - it's about trying different things and looking for incremental improvements. Sure, you can absolutely ride 19mm tires on any surface you can ride 25mm tires, but the prevailing wisdom is partly that 19mm tires are going to be slower because they have to deflect more to support the rider, or need be run at higher pressure, or both.

The other advantage of wider tires is suitability of the tires on rougher road surfaces - unless you are riding on a track or live in a wealthy area where the road gets repaved every time a pothole appears, you will be more comfortable on wider tires with a bit less pressure. You also get a second speed advantage on a rough road because if your tire provides more 'suspension' (absorb road irregularities better) then you don't have as much 'suspension losses' (bike and rider being pushed vertically by bumps which costs forward momentum).

The only advantage of super narrow tires is a bit of an aerodynamic benefit - especially if the tire width closely matches the rim width, and especially especially at higher speeds when riding alone. If riding in a group or at moderate speeds, wider tires are likely going to be faster, all other things being equal.

Polaris OBark 05-12-22 02:37 PM

The man also sells tan-wall tires, and even mentions the down-sides of wide tires.

Paul Waque 05-12-22 02:41 PM

michelin-dynamic-classic-wired-clincher-road-tire in 20 width

John E 05-12-22 04:16 PM

I prefer 28mm or wider, although I have to limit the Bianchi to about 26mm (28mm callout size Continentals).

smd4 05-12-22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson (Post 22504273)
the prevailing wisdom is partly that 19mm tires are going to be slower because they have to deflect more to support the rider, or need be run at higher pressure, or both.

Are you really trying to tell me my 23 mm Veloflexes at 140 psi “deflect” more than a 38 mm tire at 80 psi? If so, the “prevailing wisdom” doesn’t seem too wise to me.

Soody 05-12-22 06:35 PM

i've noticed that nice 23 road tires are often heavily discounted because no one wants them
same as gravel tires in cx widths like 30-33

smd4 05-12-22 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Soody (Post 22504525)
i've noticed that nice 23 road tires are often heavily discounted because no one wants them

I’ve noticed the exact opposite. You need to pay a premium because they are so rare. Which is why I picked up a second set while I could.

Soody 05-12-22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504528)
I’ve noticed the exact opposite. You need to pay a premium because they are so rare. Which is why I picked up a second set while I could.

just for example on wiggle conti ultrasports are NZ$30 in 23 and $40 in 25/28
Check out Soma too, they have/had some big discounts on their 23s because it's an abhorent size to their target market.

repechage 05-12-22 08:51 PM

Michelin Elan

i even have a 27" version!?!

also likes the Avocet tire too, long gone now.

Kabuki12 05-13-22 02:36 AM

I have bikes that are running different tire widths and I ride each of them according to my mood or type of ride I am planning. My Raleigh Competition GS has 700 x 23 tires and I always love riding that bike , I just make sure I have at least 100lbs in the tires before taking off on a ride. I have much wider tires on my Mondia , it came with 27” wheels so the 1 1/4’ wide tires I put on it measure 1.390” when inflated to 80lbs. If I plan on any sandy or gravely roads for long distances , I take that bike. The rest are either 25 or 28 wide 700’s or 27 x 1 . I am older now so it doesn’t matter to me too much, when I was younger I wouldn’t ride anything wider than 23’s. I always thought it was faster.

IAmSam 05-13-22 06:26 AM

Heya - would the group mind an attempt at some horse trading in the subject of this thread?

I was (and at heart still am) a skinnies-only kind of guy until age & infirmity moved me into today's "the bigger the rubber the better" mentality so I find myself left with several of what I think are really nice 23mm clinchers that I'd love to turn into some equally good 28 &/or 33/35c tires.

If such an inquiry is not permissible here I apologize and mods/admins please feel free to remove. If it is ok - thanks & let me know - I'm in the US...

BFisher 05-13-22 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504528)

You know what I love about threads like this?

I went and did some sleuthing just for grins, and discovered...

...Excel Sports has Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 two-packs on sale for $99.99. New tan-wall 23s coming my way! :thumb:

Wilfred Laurier 05-13-22 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504491)
Are you really trying to tell me my 23 mm Veloflexes at 140 psi “deflect” more than a 38 mm tire at 80 psi? If so, the “prevailing wisdom” doesn’t seem too wise to me.

No, your narrow tires at 140psi will not deflect more, but 140psi is not commonly used anywhere outside of the track. I've tried that and it rattled my water bottle bolts and my teeth loose.
However, 35mm tire at 80 psi will likely be as fast or faster than any 140psi tire on any non-smooth surface, all other things being equal (ie similar tire construction). Super hard tires roll fast over smooth surfaces, but are a liability on rough 'real world' surfaces due to 'suspension losses'. Yes, they 'feel' fast, but the perception doesn't generally match reality.

smd4 05-13-22 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 22504914)
No, your narrow tires at 140psi will not deflect more, but 140psi is not commonly used anywhere outside of the track.

Tell that to the printing on my tire sidewalls.

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 22504914)
I've tried that and it rattled my water bottle bolts and my teeth loose.

Pretty much the effect I'm looking for. It's called "responsiveness."

tiger1964 05-13-22 07:45 AM

It seems that 19's or 20's might give a "if you don't look too close" way to emulate the appearance of tubulars, without actually converting; perhaps for an infrequently ridden bike.

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504491)

Maybe someone with more grounding in math than me could calculate the # of air molecules in each at those pressures... it would be interesting to know. It seems that would have to have an impact on deflection.

smd4 05-13-22 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 22504945)
It seems that 19's or 20's might give a "if you don't look too close" way to emulate the appearance of tubulars, without actually converting; perhaps for an infrequently ridden bike.

Yep--you got me. I want my bike to look like it has sewups. Can't get one by you!

And I'm sure fooling people into believing their tires were sewups was exactly the reason why companies manufactured them. How clever!

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 22504945)
Maybe someone with more grounding in math than me could calculate the # of air molecules in each at those pressures... it would be interesting to know. It seems that would have to have an impact on deflection.

You don't need math for this one. Common sense will do.

tiger1964 05-13-22 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504954)
Yep--you got me. I want my bike to look like it has sewups. Can't get one by you! And I'm sure fooling people into believing their tires were sewups was exactly the reason why companies manufactured them. How clever!

One of my to-do projects falls into this category; to be ridden little but not quite wall art, originally sew-ups but do I really want to mess with that? Of course, a modern-looking tread pattern ruins the look.

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504954)
You don't need math for this one. Common sense will do.

Not sure one must rely on that. Anyway, every time I read "fat tires are better", I keep thinking about the movie "Sleeper" where Woody Allen's character wakes up in the future and is told "Smoke this cigarette, we've found they are good for you" :eek:

Anyway, I presume someone knows how to calculate the volume of the two toroidal shapes in question -- but it won't be me!

Wilfred Laurier 05-13-22 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22504931)
Tell that to the printing on my tire sidewalls.

Pretty much the effect I'm looking for. It's called "responsiveness."

That's the MAXIMUM pressure bro, not the ideal pressure for all riding. Veloflex gives a range and it's not '139-141 psi'

And you may be confusing 'responsiveness' for 'harshness'.

edit:
looking at the Veloflex website right now and there is a 'suggested pressure calculator'. I selected 23mm tire and 95kg rider weight (highest value in drop down list) and the reccomended pressure is 8.1 bar (117 psi). The only tire on their website with higher suggested pressure is stated in bold as being specifically for 'time trial or track racing'. 23mm is also the narrowrst tire they sell as far as I can tell.

But you know better than the manufacturer, I am sure.