Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   1980's Sintesi Crested Butte?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171538)

Bikedued 04-26-19 06:12 PM

1980's Sintesi Crested Butte??

Has anyone ever seen one of these? I can find nearly 0 info on the brand except modern stuff. This is a cool old Mountain bike that has Tange tubing, chainstay mounted center pull brake, Nice Falcon headset, Possibly updated Deore DX rear derailleur, What looks like a 1 inch threadless stem mounted on a quill adapter. Stem and bars are Specialized, Shimano front cantilever brakes. It looks to be about 84-86 year wise, and is shockingly light for a steel framed mountain bike.

It's only $60, but just worried it's so obscure I may never be able to get that much out of it again. I will go check it out again tomorrow. If it fits me I may get it anyway

Bikedued 04-26-19 09:22 PM

Nobody eh?

Secret Squirrel 04-26-19 10:01 PM

Sintesi was Alan Goldsmith brand from Bikecology sold from his stores in Santa Monica california

LesterOfPuppets 04-26-19 10:13 PM

I would guess Ubrake instead of cenerpull.

I do remember Sintesi, don't know much about them though.

Bikedued 04-26-19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 20902887)
I would guess Ubrake instead of cenerpull.

I do remember Sintesi, don't know much about them though.

Yes a U brake, still pulls from the center. ;)

Bikedued 04-26-19 11:36 PM

So yeah I'm probably going to go get it. I will take a measuring tape with me. If it's my size or close, like say a 22-23 inch, I will snag it. It's really a sharp bike, but needs some TLC.

2old 04-26-19 11:38 PM

U-Brake suggests 1986 to me, and AIR they were used only for a year or so. As indicated above, Sintesi was the brand by Alan Goldsmith for his Bikeology, then Supergo stores (he wrote that his wife (Susie?) started the bike stores; he sold to Performance when she passed away. His bikes were well spec'd for the price, so your $60 should be safe. Supergo stores were a blast to visit since there were frames galore to consider as well as parts costing far less than other bike shops.

Bikedued 04-27-19 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info! It was just unusual spec, and just looks different. In old mountain bikes anything different is good. I am wondering if that chainstay brake could have been a Suntour Rollercam possibly. I think I have seen them used in that position, when nothing else on the bike was Suntour.

Just remembered something else... Suzue "sealed bearing" hubs, Ritchey rims, and Suntour XC bear traps in surprising good condition.

metalrideroz 04-27-19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bikedued (Post 20902960)
Just remembered something else... Suzue "sealed bearing" hubs, Ritchey rims, and Suntour XC bear traps in surprising good condition.

You can easily sell the pedals for more than the asking price you mentioned, no reason not to buy it.

LesterOfPuppets 04-27-19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2old (Post 20902943)
U-Brake suggests 1986 to me, and AIR they were used only for a year or so.

For most companies. GT used 'em into the 90s - 'til V-brakes became widespread, I think. They put them on the seatstays, though. Putting cantis down there on those triple triangle frames would have you smacking the brake arms with your feet.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...117e56619a.jpg

T-Mar 04-27-19 07:27 AM

Shimano's U-brake didn't come out until the 1987 model year, so it's should be no older than that, assuming they are OEM. The fad for chain stay mounted U-brakes quickly ran it's course, so it's unlikely to be other than very late 1980s. As noted, Sintesi was a Bikeolgy house brand, along with Supergo. The serial number may allow us to determine the actual years and manufacturer.

Bikedued 04-27-19 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by metalrideroz (Post 20902974)
You can easily sell the pedals for more than the asking price you mentioned, no reason not to buy it.

Yeah I know, but I hate to sell them. I wish I could have them on all of my vintage mountain bikes. They fit my foot perfectly.

Bikedued 04-27-19 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20903155)
Shimano's U-brake didn't come out until the 1987 model year, so it's should be no older than that, assuming they are OEM. The fad for chain stay mounted U-brakes quickly ran it's course, so it's unlikely to be other than very late 1980s. As noted, Sintesi was a Bikeolgy house brand, along with Supergo. The serial number may allow us to determine the actual years and manufacturer.

Yeah it was like 1-2 years or something for bottom mounted brakes. Once they found they caked up with mud and stopped working, they nixed the idea.

TenGrainBread 04-27-19 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bikedued (Post 20903251)
Yeah I know, but I hate to sell them. I wish I could have them on all of my vintage mountain bikes. They fit my foot perfectly.

The VP bear trap pedals are basically an exact copy of the XCIIs and are cheap at $15-25 a pair!

Bikedued 04-27-19 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread (Post 20903269)
The VP bear trap pedals are basically an exact copy of the XCIIs and are cheap at $15-25 a pair!

Yeah, but they're not XC's. That's the rub.

Bikedued 04-27-19 10:19 AM

And it's a 21 inch... One inch below my minimum, and two inches smaller than my ideal. Gonna have to pass on it. If I can't fit on it, that would leave it as a strip it down and have a bare frame hanging in the garage that I can never use. It has a bunch of cool parts, but at the end of the day I'd never be able to enjoy it.

It even had a lugged unicrown fork, and the rear brake was a Scott Peterson.

NormB 09-19-21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bikedued (Post 20902666)
Has anyone ever seen one of these? I can find nearly 0 info on the brand except modern stuff. This is a cool old Mountain bike that has Tange tubing, chainstay mounted center pull brake, Nice Falcon headset, Possibly updated Deore DX rear derailleur, What looks like a 1 inch threadless stem mounted on a quill adapter. Stem and bars are Specialized, Shimano front cantilever brakes. It looks to be about 84-86 year wise, and is shockingly light for a steel framed mountain bike.

It's only $60, but just worried it's so obscure I may never be able to get that much out of it again. I will go check it out again tomorrow. If it fits me I may get it anyway

I have one - all stock. Here are some additional details:

CroMo Dubble-Butted Frame and Fork (Japan)
Full XT “Dear Head” Groupo including front/rear derailers, shifters, brakes, chain, cables, etc.
SunTour XC-II "Bear Trap" peddles
Araya RM-25 26" Wheels
Suzue sealed hubs
Specialized Nimbus EX Armidillo Tires

Mine was purchased at a high-end shop named Bikeology in Santa Monica, CA in 1986.

The bike glides effortlessly and quietly. While outfitted as a mountain bike, it could also be used as a touring bike. It was built to be a step up from Ibis.