Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New to Moisture - XL KHS Flite 720 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242207)

WhyFi 12-05-21 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22329696)
I get tired after 30 min, but can ride up to an hour before i really gotta stop. With some simple changes, that is fixed.

Possibly, but this thread, with all of the changes that you've pondered and/or acted upon, make it clear that you haven't got the foggiest idea of what simple changes need to be made. I'm fairly certain that this'll fall on deaf ears, but you need to slow your roll and get more methodical, rather than continue to blindly throw darts at the board.

shelbyfv 12-05-21 03:07 PM

Moisty, I suggest you set the bike aside for the winter. Join a gym and work on building some muscle and endurance. From the pics you posted awhile back, you look "soft" and overweight. Having to rest after 30 minutes means you have the aerobics of a senior citizen. You seem to be very unfit for someone so young. That may be the source of your many problems. Work on your fitness and try the bike again in the spring.:thumb:

Moisture 12-05-21 03:48 PM

Thank you for the advice. So breath takingly helpful and full of wisdom.

Maelochs 12-05-21 04:15 PM


Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22329319)
A shorter stem would be compensating for a too-long top tube .... and News Flash---That is why you would use a shorter stem.


Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22329456)
Shame you bothered to give advice without even checking my previous posts.

110mm is stock. Actually, I read somewhere that stock on this bike was 120mm for the 2012 model year. Mine is a 2008.

I'll stick to 90 or maybe 100 for now.


Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22329696)
Maelochs im sorry, but I didn't read any of your nonsense.

guy I bought it from was 6ft 1.

The bike def isn't to big for me. With a shorter stem its a good fit im sure. Haven't tried riding yet because weather not permitting.

I get tired after 30 min, but can ride up to an hour before i really gotta stop. With some simple changes, that is fixed.

Say, Moisture .... does the country you come from have the concept of "irony"?

How about "ignorance"?

I say your bike might fit with a shorter stem, you tell me I am full of nonsense .... then you say your bike would fit with a shorter stem.

Is English not your first language? Nor logic?

Anyway .... keep riding. It keeps you from posting.

Maelochs 12-05-21 04:16 PM

(BTW .... we all appreciate the comedy.)

Maelochs 12-05-21 06:09 PM

See, Mr. Moisture? Now you have made Mr. Hazetguy sad and disappointed.

I hope you are satisfied now.

:D :D :D

mstateglfr 12-06-21 08:38 AM

This is like an early Christmas.

mprince 12-06-21 09:13 AM

:popcorn

Maelochs 12-06-21 01:21 PM

Snot. I typed a way too long but very eloquent post to Mr. Moisture .... and lost it.

Man, that guy is lucky.

Maelochs 12-06-21 01:44 PM

But not lucky enough .... because i have near zero learning ability. :D

Mr. Moisture:

Nobody is criticizing you as a person (mostly) when we point out obvious issues with what you say.

You say, for instance that the guy before you was shorter than you, but obviously the bike didn't fit him---which is made plain by the position of the saddle.

I have spent decades riding bikes, building bikes, adjusting bikes .... I have learned from my errors and the errors of others.

I know when I see a saddle tilted way down like that, I know the rider is reaching too far forward, his pelvis is tilted too far, and he has to drop the nose of the saddle or it will crush his gonads. When a rider reaches too far forward the center of gravity is no longer over the legs, but out ahead of the saddle, which puts too much weight on the arms---plus, the hips cannot deliver maximum power when tilted too far. That is a clear sign of the bike being too long for the rider.

You say he was 6'1" and you are taller, but you also say you have abnormally long limbs and a short torso. That means that even a bike which fit him perfectly might be too long for you.

I am shrinking--due to age---from nearly 6'2' but I ride a 56 frame on most bikes, or a 58 with a short stem. Because I have really long limbs and a comically short torso, I need a short reach---because to be efficient, I need to have my hips more upright and my center of gravity over the saddle, so my pedals bear most of my weight. That is just human physiology.

Look at the pro riders, who do ride long and low. They have flat or almost flat saddles----because they make sure their bikes are the right size. They tend to use small frames and long stems because a smaller frame is lighter and stiffer but the same proportions and positions apply---they have their weight over the saddle, their legs support most of the weight, and their hips are not tilted way forward. They use core strength and flexibility to support the upper body, not resting on the bars.

Hey, you can set up your bike any way you want. Time trial bikes are set up for maximum aero efficiency for an hour---and no one could ride one well for much more than an hour, but for an hour, the riders sacrifice some comfort for a little speed. (Even so their saddles are level and their reach is correct for their bodies.) If you Want to set up your bike so that it hurts you, just so you can "look like the pros," go for it. You have that option.

No one here is trying to say you are bad person .... but we are saying that after years of seeing good and bad set-ups, sometimes a really compromised set-up just screams out at you. But as I say ... it is your bike. Keep riding it .. or don't. Whatever.

I generally encourage people who seem to like cycling to keep at it, so don't think I am trying to control you or something. And I am sure, over time, you will come to learn different things ..... so yes---keep riding. And if you need to hate me for saying that, go ahead.

Badger6 12-06-21 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22330841)
.... because i have near zero learning ability. :D

Or, a similar love for bicycles that many of us also possess and a desire to really help this kid out. Now, if only he'd help himself by shutting his suck hole and opening his ears and mind to what he's been told, because as far as BF threads go, this one has been a pretty consistent in the advice given by the collective group explaining how to fix his fit problems, despite his belief that he is the only dude in the world with a short torso and long arms.

Moisture 02-05-22 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by Badger6 (Post 22330900)
Or, a similar love for bicycles that many of us also possess and a desire to really help this kid out. Now, if only he'd help himself by shutting his suck hole and opening his ears and mind to what he's been told, because as far as BF threads go, this one has been a pretty consistent in the advice given by the collective group explaining how to fix his fit problems, despite his belief that he is the only dude in the world with a short torso and long arms.

I'm sure you feel super comfortable writing something like this from the comfort of your own home.

Guys, I've sold the KHS and am now sticking to gravel

tomato coupe 02-05-22 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22399776)
I'm sure you feel super comfortable writing something like this from the comfort of your own home.

Guys, I've sold the KHS and am now sticking to gravel

Two months to ponder your response, or do you have a really slow internet connection?

shelbyfv 02-05-22 01:18 PM

Wi-fi kind of sketchy down in the basement and Mom won't pay for a booster.:( Good call on the sale, Moisty. Thin the herd. Waay down.:thumb:

mstateglfr 02-06-22 10:17 PM


Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22399776)
Guys, I've sold the KHS and am now sticking to gravel

I don't think anyone was looking for an update, but since you provided one, your update has been noted

Koyote 02-07-22 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22401425)
I don't think anyone was looking for an update, but since you provided one, your update has been noted ignored.

fify.

mprince 02-07-22 09:28 AM

Seeing the bike is gone, shouldn't the thread be closed? :)

shelbyfv 02-07-22 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by mprince (Post 22401774)
Seeing the bike is gone, shouldn't the thread be closed? :)

Nah, he'll probably want to give an update. "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

Koyote 02-07-22 11:33 AM


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22401975)
Nah, he'll probably want to give an update. "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

Damn. I'm old enough to get that reference.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.