Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Eric F 10-05-21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22258195)
Mine was good until she got older and developed Alzheimer's. Now, she's a handful for my wife, but there are some good and interesting times. Probably the most interesting thing about her current life is that Tiger Woods is assigned to her table for lunch, but she doesn't find him very talkative.

In reality, it's sad that people become afflicted with such diseases.

My 85yo step-father is rapidly deteriorating due to vascular dementia. He has been one of the most intelligent and interesting humans I have ever known. At a recent family gathering, he did not recognize my youngest daughter.

sbxx1985 10-05-21 12:28 PM

Lewis is very food motivated. I've had all the lab colors. Don't get the English reds. He also loves socks. We were told about the socks from the beginning, though.

rjones28 10-05-21 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22258041)
Just joking, I know, you're smarter than to stereotype bats like that. But most people don't realize how beneficial bats are to our everyday lives, they devour tons of insects each evening. We'd be overrun with insects if not for them, in fact I can accurately tell when my bathhouse is occupied and when it's not by the number of daytime insects flying around pestering me in my yard.

It's a good thing they don't fly during the day, all of nature's pollinators would be in trouble.

The bats haven't been able to keep up this year. Maybe, because the tree swallows seem to be slacking off. Also, lots of rain.

rjones28 10-05-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22258128)
Why not cut the reflector part off with a hacksaw, then go in with a file to clean it up?

This

sbxx1985 10-05-21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22258222)
Benson doesn't care about the apples.

Smart dog. He eats a lot of apple seeds every day. They have arsenic in them. The vet said it could be dangerous several years ago, but Lewis doesn't care.

genejockey 10-05-21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22258224)
My 85yo step-father is rapidly deteriorating due to vascular dementia. He has been one of the most intelligent and interesting humans I have ever known. At a recent family gathering, he did not recognize my youngest daughter.

Dad had dementia. It was like watching him slowly disappearing, like he was being unwritten as we watched. In the end, it seemed like the only thing that remained was that he was, at his core, a good and kind person.

datlas 10-05-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22258240)
Dad had dementia. It was like watching him slowly disappearing, like he was being unwritten as we watched. In the end, it seemed like the only thing that remained was that he was, at his core, a good and kind person.

I know it's cold comfort, but at least he did not have agitated dementia which sometimes happens. It's quite unpleasant for all involved.

Trsnrtr 10-05-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22258196)
That guitar solo on "Josie" is really something, you gotta admit.

I ain’t admittin’ nuthin’.

LesterOfPuppets 10-05-21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22257902)

Now I have to find a 1" x 2mm spacer. You'd think that would be easy - BITD, they must have been a dime a dozen. Not anymore. Now you have to buy a kit for $15-40, with spacers from 2mm to 1cm. Also, everyone's headset is now 1 1/8", so 1" are hard to find. So, I just installed the brakes and derailleurs and called it a night.

Oh, and I still haven't found my chain tool.

Another option is to cut 2mm off of a 1-1/8" steerer - that makes for good 1" spacer stock. Then adjust spacer stack on that donor steerer of course.

Mojo31 10-05-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22258245)
I know it's cold comfort, but at least he did not have agitated dementia which sometimes happens. It's quite unpleasant for all involved.

Yep, we have seen my MIL's worst traits exacerbated by it. She can be calm and nice one minute and then become very angry, mean and unpleasant very quickly. We are finding that drugs help.

bampilot06 10-05-21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22258151)
Whoa - slow down there, Sport!

Not trying to brag, but I dropped everyone. It was almost epic.

bampilot06 10-05-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22258207)
What's that slot in the stepthru area of the frame for? Cuban sandwich?

Im thinking Battery to turn it into an e bike? I’m no E bike expert though.

datlas 10-05-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22258265)
Yep, we have seen my MIL's worst traits exacerbated by it. She can be calm and nice one minute and then become very angry, mean and unpleasant very quickly. We are finding that drugs help.

Agree. We try to avoid those drugs because although they help with agitation, they might increase fall risk (because sedating) and might slightly increase risk of stroke. But usually the benefits are so necessary that we physicians and families accept the risk. There is no perfect solution.

Mojo31 10-05-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22258281)
Agree. We try to avoid those drugs because although they help with agitation, they might increase fall risk (because sedating) and might slightly increase risk of stroke. But usually the benefits are so necessary that we physicians and families accept the risk. There is no perfect solution.

The fall risk is acceptable because she has left side paralysis from a stroke. Even in the best situations, if she tries to stand up she will fall. Downside is that she is very stubborn and in a non-restraint facility, so the care providers have to be somewhat diligent to make sure she doesn't try to do things that exceed her capabilities.

You're right - there is no perfect solution. There is just angst and sadness.

Mojo31 10-05-21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22258275)

You'll be right there with VV for the office park KOM before you know it.

datlas 10-05-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22258302)
The fall risk is acceptable because she has left side paralysis from a stroke. Even in the best situations, if she tries to stand up she will fall. Downside is that she is very stubborn and in a non-restraint facility, so the care providers have to be somewhat diligent to make sure she doesn't try to do things that exceed her capabilities.

You're right - there is no perfect solution. There is just angst and sadness.

Agree. I do hope she can be kept as comfortable as possible.

datlas 10-05-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22258275)

You might want to provide some colorful details and post about it in the 41. Do it. I dare you. I double-dog dare you!

Eric F 10-05-21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22258226)
Lewis is very food motivated. I've had all the lab colors. Don't get the English reds. He also loves socks. We were told about the socks from the beginning, though.

All of them?
https://permies.com/t/6599/a/1633/labs.jpg

I have yet to meet a dog that isn't food motivated. My old Brittany-Beagle boy would eat until his feet didn't touch the floor, if he was allowed to. A recent conversation...

Me: Ranger, you need to stop eating so much.
Ranger: Why?
Me: You'll get fat.
Ranger: What's fat?
Me: That's what happens when we eat too much.
Ranger: Sounds good. Let's get fat.

Eric F 10-05-21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22258265)

What kind of drugs are you taking?

(My apologies if the attempt at humor is inappropriate.)

bampilot06 10-05-21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22258314)
You might want to provide some colorful details and post about it in the 41. Do it. I dare you. I double-dog dare you!

I think that would produce a lot of one uppers that would not understand the humor.

Mojo31 10-05-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22258327)
What kind of drugs are you taking?

(My apologies if the attempt at humor is inappropriate.)

Entirely appropriate.

I plead the 5th. That might be a 5th of rum or a 5th of rye depending on the mood.

WhyFi 10-05-21 02:00 PM

I'm thinking about doing some back yard camping with the boy this weekend, so I decided to check Target (online) to see if they still had the square S'mores-shaped marshmallows in stock. They do. :bday:

And then the fail - in the 'frequently bought together' section below: yellow mustard and peanut butter. They missed the layup. :rolleyes:

Eric F 10-05-21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22258341)
I'm thinking about doing some back yard camping with the boy this weekend, so I decided to check Target to see if they still had the square S'mores-shaped marshmallows in stock. They do. :bday:

And then the fail - in the 'frequently bought together' section below: yellow mustard and peanut butter. They missed the layup. :rolleyes:

Algorithm fail. That said, I could see marshmallows and PB. Marshmallows and mustard, not so much...but some weirdo will probably come along and tell us how good it is.

Velo Vol 10-05-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22257813)
Riding your bike isn't cheating.

Night riding shouldn't be allowed. It's dangerous.

Some bumbling west coaster is going to get hit or run off the road, then try to sue me for his reckless behaviour.

bampilot06 10-05-21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22258341)
I'm thinking about doing some back yard camping with the boy this weekend, so I decided to check Target (online) to see if they still had the square S'mores-shaped marshmallows in stock. They do. :bday:

you don’t eat your marshmallows with mustard and peanut butter**********? weird.