Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

indyfabz 04-11-22 12:24 PM

My most recent cycling related purchase.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ece414fc2.jpeg

seedsbelize2 04-11-22 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22468538)
This is a question for those who use hotels sometimes.

Mrs datlas and I are traveling to Asheville in a few weeks. Although we could do the full 9 hour drive at once, we are thinking of breaking it into two. So I got online and looked for budget hotels in Virginia.

The usual "Chain" budget hotels all look reasonable on their websites, but the online reviews are typically not good stating the places are disgusting and dirty and awful etc., do we think these are just angry Karens or is any hotel under $100/night a squalid rat's nest?? We have not stayed in a Hotel like that for several years so have no frame of reference.

I hate to have to say it, but they tend to be squalid rat's nests. You might want to consider $150 for a quality experience. The last sub $100 hotel I stayed in was almost ten years ago. It was squalid even then. Even at my low standards. Sometimes you can find a Hilton for under $150. They are never squalid, imo.

seedsbelize2 04-11-22 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22468735)
The worst one I've been in was on the outskirts of Reno.

I had to go look it up. Motel 6 Reno - Livestock NV. Never go there :)

https://www.motel6.com/en/home/motel...RoCgt8QAvD_BwE

My worst was Comfort Inn, Renton VA. See above

Velo Vol 04-11-22 01:18 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22468735)
Never go there :)

Why not?

genejockey 04-11-22 01:54 PM

Y'all are really making the idea of a road trip seem either expensive or disgusting.

Mojo31 04-11-22 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22469022)
Y'all are really making the idea of a road trip seem either expensive or disgusting.

$150 per night for a decent place to stay is not expensive these days. That's two tanks of gas.

You don't get what you don't pay for.

Velo Vol 04-11-22 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22469022)
Y'all are really making the idea of a road trip seem either expensive or disgusting.

Best to stay put, especially if you're in the Tennessee Valley. :bday:

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22468983)
Why not?

I imagine you'll default to never going anywhere near Reno, so it probably doesn't matter to you :)

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469029)
$150 per night for a decent place to stay is not expensive these days. That's two tanks of gas.

You don't get what you don't pay for.

1.125 tanks of gas

FTFM

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469030)
Best to stay put, especially if you're in the Tennessee Valley. :bday:

You might wanna go to Reno July 6th, however...


Union Pacific's famed Big Boy No. 4014 is set to return to the tracks this summer for its "West Coast Steam Tour." Kicking off June 26 from Cheyenne, Wyoming, this year's tour will celebrate Union Pacific's 160th anniversary, railroad heritage and the communities the railroad serves, visiting the Pacific Northwest for the first time since its return to service.
The Big Boy will be on display in four cities:
  • July 6, 2022: Sparks, Nevada
  • July 8-9, 2022: Roseville, California
  • July 15-16, 2022: Portland, Oregon
  • July 21-22, 2022: Boise, Idaho


genejockey 04-11-22 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469029)
$150 per night for a decent place to stay is not expensive these days. That's two tanks of gas.

You don't get what you don't pay for.

I wish that was two tanks of gas. And my tank is only 19 gal.

Mojo31 04-11-22 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469036)
1.125 tanks of gas

FTFM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22469043)
I wish that was two tanks of gas. And my tank is only 19 gal.

I was going off of the cost to fill the Jeep last week with Tejas priced gasoline.

If the price is higher, then that just supports my argument.

genejockey 04-11-22 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469042)
You might wanna go to Reno July 6th, however...

Did I ever mention that The Older Boy was completely obsessed with trains, especially steam engines, from the age of 2 till the age of 6? When he was 5, UP was running an excursion with its Challenger #3985, from Omaha to the Pacific Northwest. TOB and I flew to Seattle, rode the train for a day, road Amtrak back to Seattle and flew home. He LOVED it!!!

He doesn't remember a bit of it.

Mojo31 04-11-22 02:18 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469032)
I imagine you'll default to never going anywhere near Reno, so it probably doesn't matter to you :)

Why go to Reno if you have Roane County just a short drive away?

I'm not sure VV has ever been out of Knox County!

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22469047)
Did I ever mention that The Older Boy was completely obsessed with trains, especially steam engines, from the age of 2 till the age of 6? When he was 5, UP was running an excursion with its Challenger #3985, from Omaha to the Pacific Northwest. TOB and I flew to Seattle, rode the train for a day, road Amtrak back to Seattle and flew home. He LOVED it!!!

He doesn't remember a bit of it.

You've mentioned his love of trains as a yute, but I don't remember the part about you guys riding a Challenger excursion. That's weird he doesn't recall it, but there's a lot I don't remember from age 5 either. First steam I really remember well was at Yosemite, I must've been 9 or so.

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469048)
Why go to Reno if you have Roane County just a short drive away?

I'm not sure VV has ever been out of Knox County!

He claims to have done road trips, listening to this song over and over again.


Mojo31 04-11-22 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469063)
He claims to have done road trips, listening to this song over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXcexId5s8

A drive to Roane County could be considered a road trip.

genejockey 04-11-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469048)
Why go to Reno if you have Roane County just a short drive away?

I'm not sure VV has ever been out of Knox County!

I thought he was from Canada?

But, back where I grew up, there are a lot of people who've never left Adams County, or if they did, certainly no farther than York County. But they will tell you all about what it's like to live in California, or New York City, or any of a number of other places they've never been.

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:42 PM

Pretty breezy here right now, but I kinda like it like that.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5527ecbfd4.jpg

genejockey 04-11-22 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469057)
You've mentioned his love of trains as a yute, but I don't remember the part about you guys riding a Challenger excursion. That's weird he doesn't recall it, but there's a lot I don't remember from age 5 either. First steam I really remember well was at Yosemite, I must've been 9 or so.

His interest in trains also vanished abruptly. There was no triggering factor that we could discern, but it was like a switch was thrown and he totally lost interest in them. The next obsession was pirates. So, for his 6th birthday we'd had the party down at "Roaring Camp", near Santa Cruz, which has a Shay locomotive they take out along a track through the Redwoods. For his 7th birthday, we sailed around the Bay on the Hawaiian Chieftain.

He really had a great childhood. You'd think he'd be more grateful!

Velo Vol 04-11-22 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469032)
I imagine you'll default to never going anywhere near Reno, so it probably doesn't matter to you :)

I might go stay in the hotel just to spite you.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469048)
Why go to Reno if you have Roane County just a short drive away?

I'm not sure VV has ever been out of Knox County!

The trailer hitch broke little more than a mile from Roane County yesterday. Didn't go there, but I did go to Loudon County. #RoadTrip

genejockey 04-11-22 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469080)
Pretty breezy here right now, but I kinda like it like that.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5527ecbfd4.jpg

All our trees look like that all the time.

LAJ 04-11-22 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469103)
I might go stay in the hotel just to spite you.


The trailer hitch broke little more than a mile from Roane County yesterday. Didn't go there, but I did go to Loudon County. #RoadTrip

The trailer hitch didn't break (brake).

seedsbelize2 04-11-22 03:12 PM

My Park Tool needle nose pliers arrived today. I might wrap the handles to match rjones28 bars. I also put the Claud Butler in the stand this morning. I was waiting for the pliers, for some reason.

BillyD 04-11-22 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22468725)
How hot is that? you think average June-August Phoenix temps would do? :)

Yes.

big john 04-11-22 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469029)
$150 per night for a decent place to stay is not expensive these days. That's two tanks of gas.

You don't get what you don't pay for.

I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a few times. It's a 3 day event with multiple rides, a bike show, guest speakers, etc. in Paso Robles on Memorial Day weekend. Also that weekend is a huge car show event so the motels fill up. Nothing like riding bikes all day and passing out in your room to be awakened by drunk car show revelers @ midnight and after. The only way to do that event is to camp at the fairgrounds. Once I had the camper that's what I did.

My ex and I reserved a non smoking room for some event, a century ride. When we checked in they said only smoking rooms were open so that's what we got. It was disgusting. After that we decided to get another camper since I had sold the other one.

Staying in a campground in an RV is so much better than a motel.

big john 04-11-22 03:59 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22469127)
My Park Tool needle nose pliers arrived today. I might wrap the handles to match rjones28 bars. I also put the Claud Butler in the stand this morning. I was waiting for the pliers, for some reason.

I had 2 pair of Snap On needle nose pliers for more than 20 years and I lost both of them in about a week. I started using Harbor Freight pliers after that.

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22469190)
I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a few times. It's a 3 day event with multiple rides, a bike show, guest speakers, etc. in Paso Robles on Memorial Day weekend. Also that weekend is a huge car show event so the motels fill up. Nothing like riding bikes all day and passing out in your room to be awakened by drunk car show revelers @ midnight and after. The only way to do that event is to camp at the fairgrounds. Once I had the camper that's what I did.

My ex and I reserved a non smoking room for some event, a century ride. When we checked in they said only smoking rooms were open so that's what we got. It was disgusting. After that we decided to get another camper since I had sold the other one.

Staying in a campground in an RV is so much better than a motel.

I've wound up in a couple of "party" campgrounds before.

​​​​​​The worst is getting a spot near someone who runs their Genny til 1am +.

Jack Tone 04-11-22 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22469190)
I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a few times. It's a 3 day event with multiple rides, a bike show, guest speakers, etc. in Paso Robles on Memorial Day weekend. Also that weekend is a huge car show event so the motels fill up. Nothing like riding bikes all day and passing out in your room to be awakened by drunk car show revelers @ midnight and after. The only way to do that event is to camp at the fairgrounds. Once I had the camper that's what I did.

My ex and I reserved a non smoking room for some event, a century ride. When we checked in they said only smoking rooms were open so that's what we got. It was disgusting. After that we decided to get another camper since I had sold the other one.

Staying in a campground in an RV is so much better than a motel.

I think i've done that at least 5 times. Always stayed at a motel around the corner which was great. Lots of riders staying there, too. I LOVE riding in that area. Too bad it was cancelled last year because of Covid, and again this year because the promoters moved to New York.

big john 04-11-22 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22469196)
I think i've done that at least 5 times. Always stayed at a motel around the corner which was great. Lots of riders staying there, too. I LOVE riding in that area. Too bad it was cancelled last year because of Covid, and again this year because the promoters moved to New York.

Someone told me they moved the car show to a different weekend but I'm not sure. The car people were cool at the show and I enjoyed riding over and checking out the daily drivers people had built but the motel situation was the pits when I went.

Some of the roads around there are just great for bikes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.