Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 09-01-22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22632357)
I was struggling with an internet connection. The site took so long to respond that I was directed to the page that says I can't post twice in 30 seconds. On my device it didn't even post once, that I could see anyway. At other times, with a weak signal, When I type bikeforums.net into the search bar, I'm directed to Internet Brands privacy policy.

I was just messing with you.

Tell me this didn't evoke a similar comment a few days ago.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1587b49e14.jpg

genejockey 09-01-22 11:09 AM

I ran my HR up to 172 last night, to see if I still could. Definitely not as high as it could go, but I'm not sure how long I could maintain that. I used to be able to keep it above 165 for 10 or more minutes, doing long, steep climbs. Then again, I was also doing them slower, so...?

genejockey 09-01-22 11:09 AM

Embarrassing.
Wordle 439 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 09-01-22 11:11 AM

Quattro for me. My fourth guess took a good half hour of ruminating.

Wordle 439 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 09-01-22 11:15 AM

I am still working on it. I should have it by now but frustrated. :notamused:

Mojo31 09-01-22 11:19 AM

I don't ruminate, and just do it. Kind of quite worrying about the number of guesses.
Wordle 439 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Eric F 09-01-22 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22632462)
I am still working on it. I should have it by now but frustrated. :notamused:

Me, too. Been poking at it off and on all morning. Stuck after 3rd guess, with the 2nd and 5th letter in the right place, but nothing else.

EDIT: Got it. 4/6.

rjones28 09-01-22 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22632448)
I was just messing with you.

Tell me this didn't evoke a similar comment a few days ago.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1587b49e14.jpg

What time is it?

Mojo31 09-01-22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22632551)
What time is it?

It's that time!

Trsnrtr 09-01-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22632027)
Here's how I see it: All of us probably have coronary artery disease, so the baseline risk of heart attack is significantly > zero and generally increasing over time. However, very few of us have a critical narrowing or a hot plaque that might take us out this month. People in that category (many or most of whom have symptoms with exertion) should be medicated and under close supervision and have no business riding a bike at any effort level until they're good and stable. That's an acute condition, not something you expect or screen for in random old duffers. For your unfortunate guy, yeah, he's got bad disease and is at higher risk across the board, but he knew that five years ago and is presumably getting the close follow-up he needs.

An EKG never hurts and I even think an echocardiogram might be worth doing in lifelong competitive athletes. There just seems to be a lot of apparently healthy people and casual riders who have rolled Afib, deadly arrhythmias, and heart attacks into a unitary bogey man who will devour them if they stray over some imaginary redline on the HRM.

Maybe @datlas can correct some of this.

I agree with everything that you wrote. You remember what I went through with my previous doc that sent me to my cardiologist despite me telling her my cycling history, benign arrythmia, etc.and that my cardiologist released me after a lot of testing in 2016 and declared me as a fit and healthy individual heart-wise. She had access to all of that but asked me to see him again, anyway. They can't fathom heartrates below 40 at night or 40s in their exam room and to be honest, I'm a short pudgy guy and I can see their concern. Still, they have all of my records. They're from the same medical group. :foo:

WhyFi 09-01-22 01:20 PM

What time is it?

He'll never know.

WhyFi 09-01-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22632458)
Quattro for me.

QAotD -

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ddeba27b0.jpg

Trsnrtr 09-01-22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22632383)
I have not used a HRM for about 5 years, but last time I checked, I could peg the meter at about 190. It's probably come down a few since then, but I am not really interested in such things.

I use one for hot and humid days. Even in my younger years when I weighed 145# and was racing regularly, I would easily overheat and my HR would climb and not come down even when coasting and I'd end up crawling home. Over the years, I've learned that when my HR gets stuck at anerobic threshold (154 bpm) on a hot and humid day, I need to slow down until my HR falls below a certain number (145 bpm) and coast home. It took a long time to learn it, believe it, and stick to it but if temps and humidity are up, I wear a monitor religiously.

A friend of mine, same age, history, body style, etc., had the same problems and now has a core temperature monitor and swears by it. I've thought of trying one and see how it compares to my "stuck" threshold HR.

big john 09-01-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22632631)

A friend of mine, same age, history, body style, etc., had the same problems and now has a core temperature monitor and swears by it. I've thought of trying one and see how it compares to my "stuck" threshold HR.

How would that work? How could you monitor your core temp on the fly?

WhyFi 09-01-22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22632662)

"What's his problem - does he have a stick up his ass?"

"No. Thermometer."

Eric F 09-01-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22632697)
"What's his problem - does he have a stick up his ass?"

"No. Thermometer."

Does it have a bluetooth connection to his Garmin for real-time monitoring?

datlas 09-01-22 02:14 PM

What time is it?

It's go time!

WhyFi 09-01-22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22632707)

You would hope so - I mean, they have that feature on leave-in food thermometers, these days - and keeping it plugged in with a USB cable would be a pain in the ass.

Eric F 09-01-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22632718)
You would hope so - I mean, they have that feature on leave-in food thermometers, these days - and keeping it plugged in with a USB cable would be a pain in the ass.

It might also cause some chaffing, making it a pain in other parts, as well.

Trsnrtr 09-01-22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22632662)

I have no idea as I haven’t researched them yet. I don’t even know what he uses but it seems to me that he told me that it clips on to his HRM strap or something. I assume that it’s reading skin temp.

Trsnrtr 09-01-22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22632707)

I think Garmin makes one so , yeah, probably does.

Mojo31 09-01-22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22632612)
He'll never know.

Quoted for the truth.

Eric F 09-01-22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22632743)
I think Garmin makes one so , yeah, probably does.

Garmin makes a body-temp monitor in the configuration mentioned by WhyFi??? :eek:

seedsbelize2 09-01-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22632631)
I use one for hot and humid days. Even in my younger years when I weighed 145# and was racing regularly, I would easily overheat and my HR would climb and not come down even when coasting and I'd end up crawling home. Over the years, I've learned that when my HR gets stuck at anerobic threshold (154 bpm) on a hot and humid day, I need to slow down until my HR falls below a certain number (145 bpm) and coast home. It took a long time to learn it, believe it, and stick to it but if temps and humidity are up, I wear a monitor religiously.

I use a much simpler method. If I'm working hard enough to have to mouth breathe, I back off. It's essential that my sinus passages stay clear. Robusta coffee does that for me.
Almost all my rides are hot and humid.

seedsbelize2 09-01-22 02:48 PM

And, speaking of robusta, the Italian coffee maker came in today. I tested it to see if it would boil, on the induction hotplate. It did and it did so quickly. I may have to turn it down some.