Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Finally, Snow ! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244842)

ZIPP2001 01-08-22 05:02 PM

Finally, Snow !

Finally we have some snow to go play in, was wondering when winter would come around.

rumrunn6 01-08-22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001 (Post 22366565)
Finally we have some snow to go play in, was wondering when winter would come around

couldn't play the audio right now, so don't know if you said. looks like you did well on un-groomed trails? or is that a snow mobile track I saw?

ZIPP2001 01-08-22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22366647)
couldn't play the audio right now, so don't know if you said. looks like you did well on un-groomed trails? or is that a snow mobile track I saw?

Riding the virgin trails was much easier than the few snowmobile tracks that were out there.

rumrunn6 01-09-22 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001 (Post 22366683)
Riding the virgin trails was much easier than the few snowmobile tracks that were out there.

heh, every ride is different, huh?

ZIPP2001 01-09-22 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=rumrunn6;22366929]heh, every ride is different, huh?[/QUOSno

Snow conditions aren't always the same and the snow was better to run on virgin trails if you could. That will change with the freezing rain that's moving in as the trail conditions will change completely. Changing tire pressure is the key when trails conditions change to help with riding.

rumrunn6 11-13-22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001 (Post 22366565)
Finally we have some snow to go play in, was wondering when winter would come around.
First Snow of 2022 ! - YouTube

January last year, eh? heard we might get a light taste this week

gecho 11-15-22 12:28 PM

The local fat bike crew got our trail loop snowshoed out last week. Its broken into 8 segments and we throw about 20 people at it in parallel and get it groomed in about an hour. We had enough snow that we are mostly riding on packed snow instead of dirt / grass. Its going to be kind of warm for the next week, the trails should survive but the roads will be full of brown goop. When I rode the trail yesterday nearly the entire length had foot prints on it. At least with the snow pack so thin, it isn't post holing the trail yet.

Following the narrow foot trampled paths is fun too. But when its overcast, the lack of contrast makes the path difficult to see.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9840ec4711.jpg

gecho 11-22-22 01:08 PM

Daytime highs above freezing all week, with 9C forecast for Friday. Its going to be messy. So far the side streets and alleys have been holding up, but the brown snow is spreading.

gecho 11-25-22 12:50 PM

When the weather looks awful, I look at the hourly forecast. Got out early today to beat the heat / wind. Over the past few days most of the brown slushy snow just sort of vanished. I think it melted and got absorbed by the snow at the edge of the road. Its weird how the roads can go from good, to bad, to horrible, to great in just a few days. Early in the morning or in the evening the roads aren't even very wet the past few days as the surface crystalizes when the sun sets. 3 more balaclava free days before the cold returns.

Noonievut 11-26-22 09:44 AM

%#*^+<€ black ice!

Left my house early this morning and the roads were dry. 35 minutes into the ride I decided to take a break, turn into a parking lot and whammo! Rest of the way home those same roads were very icy. Dropped pressure and too it easy. First time I’ve seen a change like that. Usually if I get up and the roads are wet (and sub 0C) I stay home...

rumrunn6 11-27-22 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 22721674)
%#*^+<€ black ice!

w/o studs? no good. I've played & paid

gecho 11-28-22 08:14 AM

Yesterday the warm weather melting had progressed to the point where most of the side streets were icy, but they still had enough texture for studs to grab onto. We are getting fresh snow now, so that should reset things, and smooth out the ruts. Without that snow the roads would have gotten very icy over the next few days as the weather turned colder and vehicles polished the ice smooth.

gecho 12-01-22 07:57 AM

We just repacked the fat bike trails last night and now they are calling for up to 8 inches of snow overnight. I might be able to squeeze in a ride today before everything get buried.

rumrunn6 12-01-22 08:23 AM

saw a frozen puddle at Walmart this morning. walked around it. started me thinking about getting the studded tires on

MNBikeCommuter 12-02-22 10:14 AM

We got 6-8" of heavy snow Tues and 40+mph winds Wed, so yesterday was my first outing with the winter bike and studs. 20 miles was enough. It's always hit and miss this time of year as to which roads are good and which aren't after such a storm. A lot of snow initially melted and froze, so shoulders weren't so great in some areas. Slop from the lanes was thrown onto other shoulders, and some were bone-dry. I had to take the lane more than I liked, but traffic was fortunately light. Yes, 20 miles was enough for the first outing.

gecho 12-10-22 11:07 AM

Nasty weather for the first week of December so I went a week and a half without riding. Got as cold as -30C with a -50 windchill. Even the days where temperature itself wouldn't have been tolerable, high winds would have made riding miserable.

A stretch of days ranging from -5 to -11C began 2 days ago, so I'll enjoy that while it lasts. The mtb club got a second snow groomer, so the fat bike trails are in great condition now. Riding a narrow trail repeatedly shows how inconsistent the gps accuracy is on my Garmin 830. I wonder if the GNSS receiver that will be in the upcoming 840 will be much better.

Noonievut 12-10-22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by gecho (Post 22735266)
Nasty weather for the first week of December so I went a week and a half without riding. Got as cold as -30C with a -50 windchill. Even the days where temperature itself wouldn't have been tolerable, high winds would have made riding miserable.

A stretch of days ranging from -5 to -11C began 2 days ago, so I'll enjoy that while it lasts. The mtb club got a second snow groomer, so the fat bike trails are in great condition now. Riding a narrow trail repeatedly shows how inconsistent the gps accuracy is on my Garmin 830. I wonder if the GNSS receiver that will be in the upcoming 840 will be much better.

I felt cold this morning riding as low as -6C plus windchill. I couldn't imagine -30C, let alone colder than how I felt this morning. I forgot how the body feels on a cold, 2hr ride...felt like a 4hr ride. Was a good wind from NNE so I took a rail trail (mint condition) and headed NNE for first half before turning around. I actually felt worse the second half and couldn't take advantage of the wind. All good though (beats the indoor trainer)! When we do get snow I'm going to rent a fat bike at a local trail head.

TCollen 12-16-22 02:16 PM

Rule #1

The 1st rule once you're on the road is to never ride through a snowball fight, ever.

Bmach 12-17-22 08:33 PM

So where is your snow now? Mine from that storm has melted into the ground.

Noonievut 12-20-22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 22742425)
So where is your snow now? Mine from that storm has melted into the ground.

Clear roads this afternoon so I got out for an hour lunch time ride. Trails are ice covered:-(

Pugs2xLove 12-21-22 06:45 PM

Finally got some real snow this afternoon (still snowing now) and the winds are suppose to pick up tomorrow as the storm moves through this region. Currently 19 degrees right now but windchills in the negative. Going to dip down overnight into tomorrow. Co-workers think I'm crazy for riding to work and back in this condition.

gecho 12-23-22 01:33 PM

I'm sitting at 3 rides in all of December. It will have been 2 week since I rode by the time the weather is decent enough to ride again. Way too much -30C in December, January better be nice to make up for it.

rumrunn6 11-21-23 08:36 AM

looks like you'll get a taste, late tonight. for me it will be a near miss

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b94da6cfc9.jpg