Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

nlerner 01-31-15 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lousy pics, but here's what the 1955 Raleigh catalog shows:
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431709

desconhecido 01-31-15 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two kickstands. The first is on the 1951 step-through "Light Sports Roadster" and is probably a match to the catalog image above.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431714

It's a pretty nicely machined alloy piece and would probably really shine if someone put the effort into it. Note the Raleigh Industries logo.

This next is on a 1979 Sports and is probably similar to what Raleigh went to on the less expensive Sports bicycles I would guess in the 50s. I say the 50s because I have seen remarks by people familiar with Raleigh Sports bicycles of the 50s commenting on what nice kickstands the Raleigh Industries stands were. Meaning to me that the RI stands would have been uncommon on Sports bikes in the later 50s. I have an un-restored 56 but it appears to have a crappy replacement stand so I can't say anything about what it came with: RI or other.

Anyway, here's the 79 stand:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431713

Not bad, but not the finish and form of the RI stand.

Personally, either style would be acceptable and I would troll ebay. The later, plainer stands should be about as common as dirt.

dweenk 01-31-15 03:33 PM

VV

My 1970 Sports has the ESGE Pletscher kickstand, original AFAIK.

Velocivixen 01-31-15 03:37 PM

Great! I saw one on the large auction site. Unfortunately the bottoms of the chain stays are dented I suspect due to too tight of a kickstand attachment.

desconhecido 01-31-15 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 17517496)
VV

My 1970 Sports has the ESGE Pletscher kickstand, original AFAIK.


Probably the same stand on the 79 in the photo above. I think it's a Pletscher but I can't go out to the garage to check for sure as I've used up all my recess time for the day.

edited to add: some of this sort of thing is available on Amazon.

HELP, HELP, I'm being repressed!

Bandera 01-31-15 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17517506)
Great! I saw one on the large auction site. Unfortunately the bottoms of the chain stays are dented I suspect due to too tight of a kickstand attachment.

The ESGE light alloy stands that we installed "back when" were cut to fit a particular customer's machine, the stand from a Sports would not fit a Record.
If you buy an old stand that is cut too short for your machine you have an ugly paperweight.

ESGE still makes alloy single and double-legged stands and Greenfield makes a good inexpensive alloy copy.

dweenk 01-31-15 04:16 PM

+1

Greenfields are great. Period correct or not, I would get one that attaches to the seat and chain stays (they call it a stabilizer).

markk900 01-31-15 04:20 PM

For reference, the "shuresto" seems to have been a popular stand as I have this type of adjustable stand on both the 49 Humber and 56 Standard.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps8ab77efc.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd77a1862.jpg

michaelz28 01-31-15 04:41 PM

i got my bike from the original owner with 25 miles on it ...1974 sports if it matters . definitely not alloy though http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps4krihmab.jpg

markk900 01-31-15 04:54 PM

@Velocivixen: this one is modern but sure looks like the old ones:

Avenir Aluminum Bike Center Mount Kickstand 285mm Long 20"24"26" 700C Silver NEW | eBay

Ugly way to make it fit (hacksaw) but for $2 who cares?

Velocivixen 01-31-15 04:55 PM

Hey all, what a nice variety of kickstands. Lots of choices. I've got some Greenfields, although haven't measured them (off other bikes). @markk900 - I must say that your "shuresto" is very interesting and unusual. Is that original to the bike, and if not, where did you manage to find it? Very cleverly designed.

I'm attending the "Society of Three Speeds" get together tonight at Velo Cult. Apparently there will be a trivia game with prizes - so I've been studying up.:thumb: I'll post later about how it went.

desconhecido 01-31-15 05:05 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17517677)
@Velocivixen: this one is modern but sure looks like the old ones:

Avenir Aluminum Bike Center Mount Kickstand 285mm Long 20"24"26" 700C Silver NEW | eBay

Ugly way to make it fit (hacksaw) but for $2 who cares?

Maybe the guy who orders it and gets dinged with almost $44 (US) for shipping. (ouch!). You'd be bettor off ordering four of them from Dick's Sporting goods at $8 each and thus qualifying for free shipping on orders over $25. Then, you could sell the three that you don't need on Ebay for $1 each with $15 shipping and probably come out about $10 ahead. That would make the one you used free.

This reminds me of the Nando's "where's the change" commercial.

markk900 01-31-15 05:05 PM

The shuresto on both my and my wife's bikes were (to the best of my knowledge) added by the original owners. I did not add them or source them, but was showing that two bikes that made their way to Canada presumably through very different paths had the same stand - making me assume they were fairly common. I love that they are "elegantly" adjustable, with a screwdriver rather than a hacksaw.

Say hello to Shawn from Mark in Ontario for me please! And good luck on the trivia contest....

markk900 01-31-15 05:06 PM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 17517700)
Maybe the guy who orders it and gets dinged with almost $44 (US) for shipping. (ouch!). You'd be bettor off ordering four of them from Dick's Sporting goods at $8 each and thus qualifying for free shipping on orders over $25. Then, you could sell the three that you don't need on Ebay for $1 each with $15 shipping and probably come out about $10 ahead. That would make the one you used free.

This reminds me of the Nando's "where's the change" commercial.

I am in Canada and see shipping charges like that all the time - I assumed that was unique to me! However, looks readily available anyway....

Number_6 01-31-15 05:06 PM

It's interesting. My '85 Team USA road bike had what looked to be your average aftermarket alloy kickstand on it. I was mounting it on the Sirrus when I noticed "Raleigh" was stamped on the outside- so back it went on the Team USA

desconhecido 01-31-15 05:23 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17517706)
I am in Canada and see shipping charges like that all the time - I assumed that was unique to me! However, looks readily available anyway....

Ok, I apologize. When I look at the ad in US ebay it says $4.99 shipping. I didn't realize that the extra high shipping was just for shipping to Canada.

Man, those kind of rates really suck.

Reminds me of a joke my father used to tell. Over and over.

Every day the guy goes across the border on his bicycle with a bag of sand. Every day, the border agent looks through his sand for contraband and finds just sand. Finally, when the border agent is about to retire, on his last day, he says to the guy, "every day for the last twenty years you've been coming across the border with a bag of sand and every day I search it and find nothing. You've got to tell me, on my last day, you've got to tell me, what have you been smuggling."

The answer in my father's joke, was, of course, bicycles. Perhaps the updated joke answer would be kickstands.

markk900 01-31-15 05:36 PM

No worries - but with the loonie tanking (under $.80) and shipping like that it is no wonder I buy stuff from Australia and the UK rather than the US. Even my CR18s and tires cost me almost $50USD ($75 CAD) shipping....

michaelz28 01-31-15 09:28 PM

did sports and the such come with kick stands or was it a dealer add on ? mine looks a little generic . I'm looking at the 74 sales brochure and i don't see on on the bike .

desconhecido 01-31-15 09:59 PM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17518306)
did sports and the such come with kick stands or was it a dealer add on ? mine looks a little generic . I'm looking at the 74 sales brochure and i don't see on on the bike .

Judging from what I've seen on bikes (though, my experience is not broad and deep, as is the experience of some others here), what's in the catalogs, and what Bandera remembers, I'd guess that it changed over the years and maybe depended on the model. Our 51 appears to have the genuine Raleigh Industries stand, which probably came with the bike, but the 56 I recently acquired has a crappy after market stand and I'm guessing it was probably shipped without and the stand was installed by the dealer. But, of course, this is speculation.

michaelz28 02-01-15 12:09 AM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17517646)
i got my bike from the original owner with 25 miles on it ...1974 sports if it matters . definitely not alloy though http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps4krihmab.jpg

the top of the clamp is on wrong ... some assembly required ...i fixed it .

michaelz28 02-01-15 12:21 AM

in reality ..http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psmii4rsyo.jpg

Velocivixen 02-01-15 12:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a nice time at the Society of Three Speeds meeting at Velo Cult tonight. I've never been to one so not sure what the usual turnout is, but tonight there were about 7 people. I met @jyl there too and spent some time catching up. He hosted a fantastic C & V bike ride last summer.

Anyway there was a trivia game and I won some swag! The answers I got were specifically about Sturmey Archer & their 3 speed hubs! The map to the gorge and Portland were free.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431819 Velocivixen with her Phillips http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431820 Top tube protector from Black Star bags, toe clips, a thermos with an a Sturmey Archer hub diagram and some shaving cream & brush (no, It's not for my mustache!) http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431821 Here's a map with bike routes to the Columbia Gorge and some nice info on Portland.


I also won a free membership into the Society of Three Speeds. I had to plead my case as to why I should get a free membership. The others had to agree that my reason would suffice. I said that I bought my first 3 speed recently and disassembled/reassembled my dynohub. That must be true love right? I got a card, some pins and other swag for being a member. I even had to take a 3 part oath!

All in all it was a fun evening.

Oh, I almost forgot. I got to see some stunning Raleighs. I got to see two bronze green Raleighs - a Superbe, which had the fork lock/key and a rear wheel lock/key! So lovely. Then I spoke to a fellow about his Raleigh Sport that he bought from the original owner, who maybe rode it 20 miles. The chrome rims were pristine. Really fantastic bike.

michaelz28 02-01-15 12:53 AM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17518541)
Had a nice time at the Society of Three Speeds meeting at Velo Cult tonight. I've never been to one so not sure what the usual turnout is, but tonight there were about 7 people. I met @jyl there too and spent some time catching up. He hosted a fantastic C & V bike ride last summer.

Anyway there was a trivia game and I won some swag! The answers I got were specifically about Sturmey Archer & their 3 speed hubs! The map to the gorge and Portland were free.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431819 Velocivixen with her Phillips http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431820 Top tube protector from Black Star bags, toe clips, a thermos with an a Sturmey Archer hub diagram and some shaving cream & brush (no, It's not for my mustache!) http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431821 Here's a map with bike routes to the Columbia Gorge and some nice info on Portland.


I also won a free membership into the Society of Three Speeds. I had to plead my case as to why I should get a free membership. The others had to agree that my reason would suffice. I said that I bought my first 3 speed recently and disassembled/reassembled my dynohub. That must be true love right? I got a card, some pins and other swag for being a member. I even had to take a 3 part oath!

All in all it was a fun evening.

outstanding . i wish i could find 1 person local to school me on these things now that in own a few ( the hubs are english SA, not the bikes ) ..http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...pstlo9vtrm.jpg

michaelz28 02-01-15 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17518526)

and then i see this .. which is it .. perpendicular or parellel.http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431824

wahoonc 02-01-15 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17513126)
Do they still make fly paper? :roflmao2:

Seriously, no. Highly doubtful.

Yes they still make fly paper. I can buy it at my locally owned been in business for 90 years hardware store.:thumb: Though I have found that pennies in a ziploc bag full of water do a better job and not nearly as messy.

Aaron:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.