Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gloves with no padding / unpadded glove (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208087)

shaun3000 07-21-20 12:52 AM

Gloves with no padding / unpadded glove

This thread is several years old, now, so I figured it’s time for a new one.

I hate padded gloves. The padding never sits where I want it and ends up just being uncomfortable. I want something to give my sweaty hands a little extra grip and to wipe the snot and sweat off my face.

Recently, I bought a pair of Giro Zero CS gloves. I love them: they’re thin, breathable, wick moisture, cool, WHITE (see: cool), and they are completely UNPADDED! But, they’re already starting to fall apart. Based on the reviews I’ve read, this seems to be a common issue with this glove.

So, I’m looking for recommendations. An UNPADDED glove made of a thin material that is available in white or a light color. Must have some kind of terry cloth or similar snot absorber on the thumbs. Something than won’t fall apart in two months is a huge plus.

mac_flyer9 07-21-20 06:29 AM

I've had really good luck with Pedal Industries gloves. Very light and for me, have lasted 2 seasons. Good Luck :)

Pedal Industries Gloves

Sy Reene 07-21-20 06:41 AM

Maybe at your local Trek store?
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...glove/p/22779/

rubiksoval 07-21-20 06:47 AM

Pearl Izumi Pro Aero Glove.

No padding.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ove/p/14341807

WhyFi 07-21-20 06:49 AM

They're not cheap and I haven't used them, but the Rapha Pro Team Mitts fill the bill - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/m...uct/PTM07XXDGN

I do have some of the full-fingered Classic Gloves - they do have some minimal padding, but they're awesome.

_ForceD_ 07-21-20 07:20 AM

Golf cloves. Cut the fingers off yourself (unless you want full-finger gloves).

Dan

noodle soup 07-21-20 08:41 AM

Giro Zero CS gloves

https://www.giro.com/p/zero-cs-road-...100000026.html

genejockey 07-21-20 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21599078)

I love these, and in fact just ordered two more pair, because during the Pandemic we're prohibited from spitting or snot-rocketing on rides, so I need to switch off and not wear the same pair all week. However, the OP mentioned that's what he has now and they're falling apart, so he wanted suggestions for other gloves.

I know from my own recent experience that unpadded gloves are hard to find, and paradoxically, more expensive than the overpadded kind that I actually find CAUSE numbing, for me anyway. I spent the last few days checking every online bike store I could think of, going through every glove maker, and unpadded gloves these days are like hen's teeth. Louis Garneau doesn't seem to make unpadded gloves anymore, for example. Everything's got gel these days.

colnago62 07-21-20 10:17 AM

Most Castelli gloves are not padded.

noodle soup 07-21-20 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=genejockey;21599146]I love these, and in fact just ordered two more pair, because during the Pandemic we're prohibited from spitting or snot-rocketing on rides, so I need to switch off and not wear the same pair all week. However, the OP mentioned that's what he has now and they're falling apart, so he wanted suggestions for other gloves./QUOTE]I've had a totally different experience with these gloves. I even machine wash and dry them weekly, and they have about 14k miles of use.

genejockey 07-21-20 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=noodle soup;21599385]

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21599146)
I love these, and in fact just ordered two more pair, because during the Pandemic we're prohibited from spitting or snot-rocketing on rides, so I need to switch off and not wear the same pair all week. However, the OP mentioned that's what he has now and they're falling apart, so he wanted suggestions for other gloves./QUOTE]I've had a totally different experience with these gloves. I even machine wash and dry them weekly, and they have about 14k miles of use.

Yeah, so far mine seem to be holding up okay, though there is a seam splitting where the thumb joins the back. Not enough to stop me wearing them!

Carbonfiberboy 07-21-20 12:40 PM

I've been using Bontrager RXL for long hot rides, but they're not made anymore. The replacement seems to be their Volocis: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

My RXLs are great gloves, have held up very well.

DrIsotope 07-21-20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21598872)
Pearl Izumi Pro Aero Glove.

No padding.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ove/p/14341807

A virtual high-five to you sir, as I have two pairs of the fingerless and one of the full finger-- but my banana hands go through gloves fast. Just ordered three pair of XXL at PI's sale price. :love:
Have been browsing for decent unpadded gloves for several months now, as my old Giro Zeroes, Zero CS, etc. are all pretty much worn out and/or falling apart.

genejockey 07-21-20 01:20 PM

Nice to know I'm not alone in liking gloves with no padding!

jrobe 07-21-20 01:44 PM

I stumbled on some Craft summer gloves at one time and loved them. They are thin with minimal padding and are very well built. I can wear a pair of these for several years even with washing machine cleaning regularly. I eventually saw that eBay had a bunch of the best Craft gloves from the Novo Nordisc cycling team for sale at a reduced price. I have stocked on these for my future use. I couldn't care less if they have the team logo on them. They sell multiple sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2017-Mens-Craft-Team-Novo-Nordisk-Tresiba-EBC-Summer-Gloves-White-Size-XL/192863467715?hash=item2ce78ef8c3:g:DC8AAOSwt8JZ3fns

jimmyodonnell 07-21-20 07:36 PM

Specialized GRAIL gloves have very little padding, almost none . . . and they're not expensive, I think I paid about $30.
I've had them over 3 years and they're in great shape. I don't wear them for every ride, but really happy with them.

canklecat 07-21-20 09:36 PM

I've gotten good wear from the Giro Zero CS gloves after more than a year of a lot of use. A frayed hem that I could have stopped if I wasn't so lazy and caught the loose thread earlier. But nothing serious. The hi-vis yellow wrist faded to white, which suits me anyway. I'm surprised they lasted this long. They seemed flimsy when I bought 'em for half price at the LBS -- I forget if it was a demo, or because nobody really likes hi-vis yellow anything. They'll probably last another year.

Ditto, Bontrager RXL. Little or no padding, just a tough material on the contact surface. Really durable. The full finger RXL Thermal gloves were great, too bad they discontinued them. Maybe too well made and nobody needed replacements. Mine are going on five years of regular wear, including some sliding falls with minimal abrasion to the palm.

But I might order a pair of those PI Pro Aero gloves too. I just want the little added grip when my hands are sweaty, I don't need the padding. I use "cork" foam wrap on one bike, and Arundel Synth Gecko grippy rubber wrap on the other.

shaun3000 07-21-20 10:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting that y’all have had better luck with the Giro gloves. Only one of mine has an issue so perhaps it’s defective. I’ll check with Giro about a warranty replacement.

Someone suggested the Specialized Grail glove. I tried it, really liked it, but the padding in the palm bunched up after one ride. Reading online, it seems they used to stitch the padding in place but have since moved to a cheaper adhesive method which doesn’t seem to work too well. I contacted Specialized about my issue and what my research showed, they basically told me, “sucks, feel free to return them.”

I like the Pearl Izumi. I’ll check those out if I don’t have any luck with Giro.

cp88mb1 07-21-20 10:47 PM

I’m also looking for non padded gloves. In warmer months I usually ride without gloves but sometimes on longer rides they’re nice to have. I’ve been eyeing the Castelli Competizione gloves, another one to add to the list here.

caloso 07-21-20 11:28 PM

Castelli Aero Race gloves. No velcro either, so that’s a double bonus for me.

79pmooney 07-21-20 11:33 PM

I keep my eyes out for unpadded long fingered gloves for fix gear mountain riding. (For protection for my fingers under the brake levers when I am pulling hard, maybe for miles.) Good thing is that I am not fussy about color. The MTB crowd uses exactly what I need. I've used the Dankines and Giants and can say both are good gloves. Sometimes I see black but they are usually camouflage.

noodle soup 07-22-20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21600499)
Castelli Aero Race gloves. No velcro either, so that’s a double bonus for me.

+1

Padded or unpadded, velcro is a hard no for me.

blacknbluebikes 07-22-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 21598917)
Golf cloves. Cut the fingers off yourself (unless you want full-finger gloves).

Dan

They make my bike fly off into the woods.

JS41989 07-22-20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell (Post 21600261)
Specialized GRAIL gloves have very little padding, almost none . . . and they're not expensive, I think I paid about $30.
I've had them over 3 years and they're in great shape. I don't wear them for every ride, but really happy with them.

I second these gloves. I don't like gloves with padding either, and these were a nice inexpensive compromise. Padding is very light and is not intrusive.

Sy Reene 07-22-20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JS41989 (Post 21601441)
I second these gloves. I don't like gloves with padding either, and these were a nice inexpensive compromise. Padding is very light and is not intrusive.

Are these well ventilated? IOW, are they Holey Grails?