Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Velo Vol 10-26-21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284275)
that is the plan. I don’t have a set eta of arrival. I am staying at the hampton inn at the exit we discussed.

Bike is packed and ready to go.

Oh boy. It gets dark fast at sunset, so plan accordingly.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9f84028d6b.png

DougRNS 10-26-21 11:07 AM

The words that are applicable are; "you took my joy and I want it back"

In other news I rewarded myself a slice of provolone to split on each sandwich. That half of slice of cheese is so delightful with my Dijon mustard, ham and dill pickle. #Heavenly

datlas 10-26-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284279)
we almost moved to Lewes when they closed my New Bern base. Gosh that was so long ago. I can’t remember now why we never did.

Lewes is a good little town IMO. We used to go there for a week every summer when the kids were little. At least back then, it was quiet and relaxing. Nearby Cape Henlopen Park is a gem.

DougRNS 10-26-21 11:14 AM

Roscoe has inspired me. Nap time!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f021c8fa1.jpg

Velo Vol 10-26-21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22284298)
In other news I rewarded myself a slice of provolone to split on each sandwich.

For what?

rjones28 10-26-21 11:15 AM

Cloudy and 54F is not winter weather in the Actual North.

#justsaying

rjones28 10-26-21 11:19 AM

Steady-to-heavy rain all day. Currently 52F. Definitely, rain jacket weather.

Velo Vol 10-26-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22284321)
Cloudy and 54F is not winter weather in the Actual North.

The normal high in January is 48F.

LesterOfPuppets 10-26-21 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22284029)
The rain yesterday totaled somewhere around an inch here. I hear it was over 5 inches in Sacramento. Anyway today is clear and supposed to top out in the 60s. I'm not sure where the ride is going but I'm looking forward to it.

They even got plenty of rain on the east side of the Sierras. My friend is trying to decide if she wants to fix the low spot in the driveway of her new place, since it'll probably be 10 years 'til it rains this much there again...

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...92&oe=619CB547

indyfabz 10-26-21 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22281690)
Weird

The big local MS ride passes the house every year. One Sunday he had real people dressed up and posing like mannequins. They would move when people stopped for photos.

He also decorates for the 4th of July and, I’m going to assume, Christmas.

bampilot06 10-26-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22284287)
Oh boy. It gets dark fast at sunset, so plan accordingly.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9f84028d6b.png

I have good lights.

Do you turn into a mouse when it gets dark?

indyfabz 10-26-21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22284036)
I was worried about you last night. Glad you made an adjustment.

Probably the craziest rain I’ve ever had camping. The forest sounded like it was growling at a couple of points. My tent feels twice the wait from the water and sand that splattered on it. But I had a great tailwind up the coast today.

LAJ 10-26-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22284364)
The big local MS ride passes the house every year. One Sunday he had real people dressed up and posing like mannequins. They would move when people stopped for photos.

He also decorates for the 4th of July and, I’m going to assume, Christmas.

I like the spirit, just not the execution. It's too much, for my taste. Of course, art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so there's that.

bampilot06 10-26-21 11:54 AM

So far I love the garmin and the bontrager lights. They are by far the brightest lights I have ever owned and the connection through the head unit is really neat.

Two things stand out right now though. Every ride between 6 miles and 13 miles my head light disconnects. The unit will tell me with a message this has happened but there is not aurel warning so it goes unnoticed. Today a car turned enfront of me and I was shocked until I realized my light wasn’t on
It takes me about 3/4 of a mile to get the light to reconnect if I can, today it would not reconnect so I disabled the light connection.

Second thing is more of a general idea. Rechargeable lights should come in packs of two. I find that I am having to charge my lights before almost every ride and that can’t be good for battery life. If I had two ( like my 2 night riders) I could run one light til it was completely dead and just switch them out as necessary, pro longing battery life.

Thoughts?

Mojo31 10-26-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284386)
So far I love the garmin and the bontrager lights. They are by far the brightest lights I have ever owned and the connection through the head unit is really neat.

Two things stand out right now though. Every ride between 6 miles and 13 miles my head light disconnects. The unit will tell me with a message this has happened but there is not aurel warning so it goes unnoticed. Today a car turned enfront of me and I was shocked until I realized my light wasn’t on
It takes me about 3/4 of a mile to get the light to reconnect if I can, today it would not reconnect so I disabled the light connection.

Second thing is more of a general idea. Rechargeable lights should come in packs of two. I find that I am having to charge my lights before almost every ride and that can’t be good for battery life. If I had two ( like my 2 night riders) I could run one light til it was completely dead and just switch them out as necessary, pro longing battery life.

Thoughts?

Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic

ls01 10-26-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22284200)
Last grass cut of the year I hope. Battery 1 went 30 minutes and battery 2 was going strong after 23 minutes when I got done. I went into beast mode the last 5 minutes to make sure I could complete it. Sunny but cool today high of 63 I think. I wore too much and was sweating like a feather trucker* at the end. A beautiful fall day..

*70's network editing
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...93ed99ab3d.jpg

lol made me think of Repo Man's network editing. Melon Farmer!

WhyFi 10-26-21 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284386)

Thoughts?

The light shutting off on its own is really weird - I wouldn't think that it would do that just because the connection was lost... I would think that it would stay on until an "Off" command was sent. :foo: I'd ask the LBS.

Two sets of lights is going to make the ANT+ light controls more trouble than it's worth, I think - you'd have to go in to your head unit to turn one off and turn the other on, and that's in addition to physically swapping them out. At that point, I'd just control them manually. Unless they're much smarter than I assume... I mean, it'd be cool to have light priority that automatically lights up the next in line when one dies, but I would be pleasantly surprised if the protocols were that fleshed-out.

ls01 10-26-21 12:24 PM

(Sigh) 20 minutes ago I got a message from the Derailleur seller. He ran out of Derailleurs . So, now II have a 3 to 5 day wait for a refund. And I paid $5.00 more from another vendor. Bastiges...

phrantic09 10-26-21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22284328)
Steady-to-heavy rain all day. Currently 52F. Definitely, rain jacket weather.

It was 32 on the nose Sunday AM when I was marshaling at my Daughter’s xc meet. That’s near winter…

phrantic09 10-26-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22284421)
The light shutting off on its own is really weird - I wouldn't think that it would do that just because the connection was lost... I would think that it would stay on until an "Off" command was sent. :foo: I'd ask the LBS.

Two sets of lights is going to make the ANT+ light controls more trouble than it's worth, I think - you'd have to go in to your head unit to turn one off and turn the other on, and that's in addition to physically swapping them out. At that point, I'd just control them manually. Unless they're much smarter than I assume... I mean, it'd be cool to have light priority that automatically lights up the next in line when one dies, but I would be pleasantly surprised if the protocols were that fleshed-out.

It could be a Bontrager thing, I’ve never experienced this when my headlight has dropped.

LesterOfPuppets 10-26-21 12:38 PM

About to ride up to the ballpark to catch the matinee game!

:bday: :bday: :bday:

phrantic09 10-26-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22284429)
(Sigh) 20 minutes ago I got a message from the Derailleur seller. He ran out of Derailleurs . So, now II have a 3 to 5 day wait for a refund. And I paid $5.00 more from another vendor. Bastiges...

I missed the saga, but how is a firmware / software update bricking your FD not a warranty replacement?

genejockey 10-26-21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22284124)
So much anger.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man sending back soup at a deli."

WhyFi 10-26-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22284450)
It could be a Bontrager thing, I’ve never experienced this when my headlight has dropped.

That's what I'm thinking... but it's still dumb.

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22284455)
I missed the saga, but how is a firmware / software update bricking your FD not a warranty replacement?

Bought used, IIRC. That's still dumb, too - they ******' broke it. :troll:

MoAlpha 10-26-21 01:40 PM

Third Moderna shot is in. Have to go to work tomorrow.