Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

datlas 04-01-22 02:02 PM

Good afternoon Velo Vol !

WhyFi 04-01-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458514)
Mixing is what intermediate rums are for.

The wife and I picked up some food at Shake Shack the other week, and saw that they were offering a limited-time fruit juice based beverage of some sort - lychee and something else. I turned to my wife and commented, "that sounds like it'd be pretty good... if it had rum in it..." Then I remembered that I had rum at home. So we got the beverage, brought it home, and put rum in it. I was right - it was pretty good with rum in it. :D

ls01 04-01-22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22458467)
I have heard coca-cola is worth considering.

"specially with Rum

ls01 04-01-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22458540)
Nope, still two weeks of winter left.

Regardless, the fact that Knox County has turned into a perpetual wind tunnel pretty much dooms any notion of serious cycling again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbtZzouBSc

He has returned...

genejockey 04-01-22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458564)
"specially with Rum

Careful. I caught some s**t for suggesting that.

genejockey 04-01-22 02:42 PM

A friend of mine, who loved good food and good booze, and loved to share both, told me about one of his friends, for whom he poured a glass of a very nice single malt Scotch. The friend took a sip, and said, "Do you have any coke?" Said friend was never offered the top shelf booze again.

Reminds me of my Grandfather. My Dad had his eyes opened, or perhaps more accurately his palate, on a trip to France back in 1971, and after that became an avid oenophile. So you can imagine his reaction when my Grandfather asked if we had any sugar he could add to the very nice Bordeaux Dad served with dinner......

Velo Vol 04-01-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22458540)
Regardless, the fact that Knox County has turned into a perpetual wind tunnel pretty much dooms any notion of serious cycling again.

I've also been thinking about traffic. Suburban sprawl blows. It used to be, even five years ago, on one of my old favourite routes, that once you got beyond the last stop light in Hardin Valley, you were out in the "country." Maybe get passed by a few vehicles/mile, maybe not even that.

But now they are building, or have built, hundreds of houses out west. Empty fields are turning into subdivisions. And with that comes more and more blow-by buzzings with SUVs and monster trucks. Where's the enjoyment in that?

I'm thinking about retiring from road cycling and moving to a safer recreation, like seedsbelize did. It used to be that when people talked about off-road cycling, they meant mountain biking. There's a pretty good place to ride one 10 or so miles away. Now I guess gravel bikes are popular. Not sure where I'd ride that. On the MUP? Either way, I need to get off the roads.

Same spot in the Hardin Valley.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ac4d8070fb.png

2022 :(

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c9f1ab131d.png

Mojo31 04-01-22 02:52 PM

I was interested to read that the original recipe for a Cuba Libre wasn't "A jigger of rum + a can of coke", but rather 1 1/2 oz of rum to 3 oz of coke (plus lime juice, of course). That's a very different drink.

And of course you don't desecrate a good rum that way. Mixing is what intermediate rums are for.

I'll let it slide if you use Bacardi.

Mojo31 04-01-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458579)
A friend of mine, who loved good food and good booze, and loved to share both, told me about one of his friends, for whom he poured a glass of a very nice single malt Scotch. The friend took a sip, and said, "Do you have any coke?" Said friend was never offered the top shelf booze again.

I have a friend like that. He gets the Bacardi.

WhyFi 04-01-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458579)
So you can imagine his reaction when my Grandfather asked if we had any sugar he could add to the very nice Bordeaux Dad served with dinner......

Is adding sugar to wine a thing? I've never heard of that. :foo:

genejockey 04-01-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22458581)
I've also been thinking about traffic. Suburban sprawl blows. It used to be, even five years ago, on one of my old favourite routes, that once you got beyond the last stop light in Hardin Valley, you were out in the "country." Maybe get passed by a few vehicles/mile, maybe not even that.

But now they are building, or have built, hundreds of houses out west. Empty fields are turning into subdivisions. And with that comes more and more blow-by buzzings with SUVs and monster trucks. Where's the enjoyment in that?

I'm thinking about retiring from road cycling and moving to a safer recreation, like seedsbelize did. It used to be that when people talked about off-road cycling, they meant mountain biking. There's a pretty good place to ride one 10 or so miles away. Now I guess gravel bikes are popular. Not sure where I'd ride that. On the MUP? Either way, I need to get off the roads.

Interesting. Sad, too. I feel for you, VV.

Funny thing is, on the mid Peninsula, most of the land West of I-280 is either "Where The Rich People Live" - and thus not going to be developed, or it's park land, or it's Open Space held by the Open Space district. Go a little farther West and you have to go over fairly steep hills with narrow, winding roads that can't carry much traffic. As a result, the area where I've been riding since about 1995 has stayed much the same - no new developments, no conversion of country lanes to big commuter routes, etc.

Mojo31 04-01-22 03:02 PM

Agree with VV on the traffic. It's to the oint where my road riding is limited to early Sunday mornings.

I recently discovered a series of 3 MUPs that start close to my house. Can do 25 miles round trip with maybe 2 of those on roads thru subdivisions. These MUPs are hardly used by anyone. This morning I saw 10 others at the most out there.

genejockey 04-01-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458594)
Is adding sugar to wine a thing? I've never heard of that. :foo:

Well, Pap was born in 1889, and Dad in 1918, and the incident took place maybe 50 years ago, so....

But you may remember Wine Coolers from more recently.

genejockey 04-01-22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22458586)
I'll let it slide if you use Bacardi.

Generally I use Flor de Cana for that.

genejockey 04-01-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22458600)
Agree with VV on the traffic. It's to the oint where my road riding is limited to early Sunday mornings.

I recently discovered a series of 3 MUPs that start close to my house. Can do 25 miles round trip with maybe 2 of those on roads thru subdivisions. These MUPs are hardly used by anyone. This morning I saw 10 others at the most out there.

This may explain why so many people ride on MUPs, which I always avoid. The MUPs around here don't go anywhere I want to go, and as I mentioned, the roads aren't getting worse here. Just the real estate prices.

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458602)
Well, Pap was born in 1889, and Dad in 1918, and the incident took place maybe 50 years ago, so....

But you may remember Wine Coolers from more recently.

Ah, so way back. Way, way back.

Yeah, wine coolers were training wheels for underage drinkers. Ick.

Mojo31 04-01-22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458606)
This may explain why so many people ride on MUPs, which I always avoid. The MUPs around here don't go anywhere I want to go, and as I mentioned, the roads aren't getting worse here. Just the real estate prices.

None of the MUPs here go anywhere. They are just a place to stretch your legs.

BillyD 04-01-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458474)
And even if it doesn't work, it makes a great mix with rum and a bit of lime juice.

And after a couple of those you won't care about the seat post. :D

indyfabz 04-01-22 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458613)
Ah, so way back. Way, way back.

Yeah, wine coolers were training wheels for underage drinkers. Ick.

Remember Zima?

BillyD 04-01-22 03:20 PM

And of course you don't desecrate a good rum that way. Mixing is what intermediate rums are for.

Same with all whiskies, IMO.

I rarely make a cocktail, I'm a straight guy.

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22458581)

What's the population of the metro area? Where are other serious cyclists in the area riding? Does the terrain compound issues with funneling traffic and whatnot? And do you not have shoulders in the quasi-north?

There's been a lot of development in the Twin Cities, but it really hasn't impacted riding that much - plenty of roads with ample shoulders so that the 40+ mph roads without shoulders can be avoided. It does take a while to get out to some open roads, but you can still string together some decent rides within the metro. Then there's the extensive network of MUPs (which I tend to avoid) and the gravel roads (which are fun, but I don't like to drive for a ride).

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22458626)
Remember Zima?

Yes. Yes, I do. :banned:

genejockey 04-01-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22458630)

I like cocktails, but I have to be in the mood to make them. At one time I thought The Older Boy might learn how to make them, but he lost interest, and he also decided to be a teetotaler.

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:26 PM

I like the occasional cocktail. It's a hard pass on most mixed drinks, though.

Mojo31 04-01-22 03:27 PM

There are a few that we make, but enjoy the good stuff straight. We do make a lot of Old Fashioneds with bourbon, rye or rum.