Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Trsnrtr 07-21-22 06:17 AM

Wordle 397 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

abshipp 07-21-22 07:05 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22581793)
Years ago 3 of us went on a 5 day tour to Julian in the hills above San Diego. I think it was the fourth day and we were following a canyon road back to the coast. There was a gravel facility of some kind up there so there were gravel trucks buzzing us all the way. It was truly terrifying. In a right curve there was a truck inches away on my left using his Jake brake and a mountain on the right. A damn bee chose that moment to sting me on my forearm. I couldn't even reach over to flick it away until there was a turnout after the curve.

It was one of my longest days on a bike, about 11 hours. When we reached the coast it was almost dinner time and we had 40 miles to go into a stiff headwind. Part way through this ordeal I was following my friend and I realized he was trying to catch guys out on their evening rides while we were on loaded touring bikes.He got us close but couldn't close the deal so I went around to finish the bridge up. I couldn't do that now.

I ended up with a headwind on the way back as well, which is rare around here.

The last hour was pretty miserable, I'm wondering if the sting knocked something out of me or whether I just bonked.

Maybe a combination of the two. I wasn't exactly feeling fresh before I got stung.

datlas 07-21-22 07:07 AM

One of my patients has ADD and has been on the same exact medicine for years and years. Last year, his insurance declined to cover it. I had to spend 10 minutes talking to their "doctor" to convince them to cover it.

They sent a letter a year ago stating it was approved through 2039. Nice!

Now they sent me a letter saying it's NOT covered and if I want to try to get it covered again I have to waste my time talking to their "doctor" again. WTF??

datlas 07-21-22 07:10 AM

So a group of about 10 guys I know went on a cycling trip to Vermont last week.

So far, 3 of them have come down with Covid. I suspect more will fall. Luckily, all of them are having mild symptoms.

big john 07-21-22 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582063)
:bday:, Carlos Santana!


Mojo31 07-21-22 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22582108)
So a group of about 10 guys I know went on a cycling trip to Vermont last week.

So far, 3 of them have come down with Covid. I suspect more will fall. Luckily, all of them are having mild symptoms.

Bernie is up there pushing BigVax.

indyfabz 07-21-22 07:32 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22582108)
So a group of about 10 guys I know went on a cycling trip to Vermont last week.

So far, 3 of them have come down with Covid. I suspect more will fall. Luckily, all of them are having mild symptoms.

A lot of people have some misconceptions about VT. It's not all touchy-feely liberal in a lot of places like it is in Burlington. Sort of like OR in that way. You've got the Portland, Bend and Eugene areas, and there is everywhere else.

During the height of the pandemic it actually had some relatively high infection rates at times. I have ridden there twice during the last two years. Both times I got some looks when I wore a mask in public places like grocery stores.

big john 07-21-22 07:41 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22582037)
Sure, me too, on a burger, or a sandwich. Not straight out of a packet during a bike ride.

I haven't done it, but I've seen it done. I have been known to have a shot of pickle juice once at home.

rjones28 07-21-22 07:53 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22582105)
One of my patients has ADD and has been on the same exact medicine for years and years. Last year, his insurance declined to cover it. I had to spend 10 minutes talking to their "doctor" to convince them to cover it.

They sent a letter a year ago stating it was approved through 2039. Nice!

Now they sent me a letter saying it's NOT covered and if I want to try to get it covered again I have to waste my time talking to their "doctor" again. WTF??

In other healthcare BS news; back in June, Mrs. rjones28's surgery had to get rescheduled because of COVID. New date is this Monday. We are now in a new fiscal year for BC/BS. So, naturally, the R&C for her procedure doubled. And the billing department can't seem to keep track of payments -- they asked for the pre-pay (that we paid in June) again this week. Good times.

Bah Humbug 07-21-22 07:58 AM

TIL air flows from AGís office to mine. Sweating went insane when she started her ride.

phrantic09 07-21-22 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22582150)
In other healthcare BS news; back in June, Mrs. rjones28's surgery had to get rescheduled because of COVID. New date is this Monday. We are now in a new fiscal year for BC/BS. So, naturally, the R&C for her procedure doubled. And the billing department can't seem to keep track of payments -- they asked for the pre-pay (that we paid in June) again this week. Good times.

Wow- Iím surprised they donít make an exception for that. We kept cost share / YTD deductibles for anyone who had a procedure rescheduled at end of year last year into 2022. My understanding was that itís pretty standard in the market.

phrantic09 07-21-22 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582133)
A lot of people have some misconceptions about VT. It's not all touchy-feely liberal in a lot of places like it is in Burlington. Sort of like OR in that way. You've got the Portland, Bend and Eugene areas, and there is everywhere else.

During the height of the pandemic it actually had some relatively high infection rates at times. I have ridden there twice during the last two years. Both times I got some looks when I wore a mask in public places like grocery stores.

Yah, VT is weird.

datlas 07-21-22 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22582150)
In other healthcare BS news; back in June, Mrs. rjones28's surgery had to get rescheduled because of COVID. New date is this Monday. We are now in a new fiscal year for BC/BS. So, naturally, the R&C for her procedure doubled. And the billing department can't seem to keep track of payments -- they asked for the pre-pay (that we paid in June) again this week. Good times.

That is messed up. In my area, all the hospitals/physicians/facilities pretty much "accept assignment" and won't balance bill. So patients who have surgery done usually don't pay anything other than maybe a deductible.

That is also one reason why one of my former partners moved from SEPA to NC, she said she makes twice what she made here.

The system is clearly dysfunctional.

genejockey 07-21-22 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582133)
A lot of people have some misconceptions about VT. It's not all touchy-feely liberal in a lot of places like it is in Burlington. Sort of like OR in that way. You've got the Portland, Bend and Eugene areas, and there is everywhere else.

During the height of the pandemic it actually had some relatively high infection rates at times. I have ridden there twice during the last two years. Both times I got some looks when I wore a mask in public places like grocery stores.

You find that in a lot of states. PA springs to mind. Last year visiting near Gettysburg, I would be the ONLY person in the little grocery store in Biglerville wearing a mask. At the Giant in Gettysburg, it was maybe 50:50.

Mojo31 07-21-22 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22582178)
That is messed up. In my area, all the hospitals/physicians/facilities pretty much "accept assignment" and won't balance bill. So patients who have surgery done usually don't pay anything other than maybe a deductible.

That is also one reason why one of my former partners moved from SEPA to NC, she said she makes twice what she made here.

The system is clearly dysfunctional.

You need to move. NC is nice.

WhyFi 07-21-22 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582133)
A lot of people have some misconceptions about VT. It's not all touchy-feely liberal in a lot of places like it is in Burlington. Sort of like OR in that way. You've got the Portland, Bend and Eugene areas, and there is everywhere else.

During the height of the pandemic it actually had some relatively high infection rates at times. I have ridden there twice during the last two years. Both times I got some looks when I wore a mask in public places like grocery stores.


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22582184)
You find that in a lot of states. PA springs to mind.

MN, too - very much so. Broadly speaking, once I get out of the interstate loop surrounding the Twin Cities, it's easy to see that leanings change pretty sharply. Well, that and there's Duluth and (surprisingly to most) the Iron Range.

rjones28 07-21-22 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22582171)
Wow- Iím surprised they donít make an exception for that. We kept cost share / YTD deductibles for anyone who had a procedure rescheduled at end of year last year into 2022. My understanding was that itís pretty standard in the market.

I'm not surprised. I think, administratively, it was a cancellation and a new scheduling.

datlas 07-21-22 08:42 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22582187)
You need to move. NC is nice.

I am aware. But aging family members on both sides of the family in NJ mean moving is not happening anytime soon.

rjones28 07-21-22 08:42 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22582178)
That is messed up. In my area, all the hospitals/physicians/facilities pretty much "accept assignment" and won't balance bill. So patients who have surgery done usually don't pay anything other than maybe a deductible.

That is also one reason why one of my former partners moved from SEPA to NC, she said she makes twice what she made here.

The system is clearly dysfunctional.

They require the expected copay upfront.

rjones28 07-21-22 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22582217)
They require the expected copay upfront.

Current fiscal year copay, in bike terms, is about a new Emonda SL7.

indyfabz 07-21-22 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22582184)
You find that in a lot of states. PA springs to mind. Last year visiting near Gettysburg, I would be the ONLY person in the little grocery store in Biglerville wearing a mask. At the Giant in Gettysburg, it was maybe 50:50.

When I rode across PA in 2020 I stopped for groceries in Everett, which is between Bedford and Breezewood. The grocery store was really crowded. There were signs on the door encouraging mask wearing but also reading that if you are not wearing one the management would assume you have an underlying health condition. Must have been a lot of people unhealthy people because maybe 80% of shoppers, if not more, were unmasked. I got in and out as quickly as possible.

genejockey 07-21-22 09:21 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582239)
When I rode across PA in 2020 I stopped for groceries in Everett, which is between Bedford and Breezewood. The grocery store was really crowded. There were signs on the door encouraging mask wearing but also reading that if you are not wearing one the management would assume you have an underlying health condition. Must have been a lot of people unhealthy people because maybe 80% of shoppers, if not more, were unmasked. I got in and out as quickly as possible.

Well, in that store in B-ville, a lot of them looked kinda unhealthy. A lot of them had caught obesity.

big john 07-21-22 09:48 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22582284)
A lot of them had caught obesity.

Probably because they bought un-aerodynamic bikes.

Eric F 07-21-22 10:08 AM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22581886)
sweet vintage receiver

my kids have a vintage Kenwood and vintage Sansui

Thanks. Both my daughters have vintage vinyl rigs, too. It's kind of a thing in our family.

BillyD 07-21-22 10:13 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22582133)
A lot of people have some misconceptions about VT. It's not all touchy-feely liberal in a lot of places like it is in Burlington. Sort of like OR in that way. You've got the Portland, Bend and Eugene areas, and there is everywhere else.
[size=13px]

[/size]
I feel that way about a lot of places. Sad.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.