Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bluetooth headsets/ear pieces when riding? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=941133)

KC8QVO 04-01-14 09:27 AM

Bluetooth headsets/ear pieces when riding?

Has anyone found a bluetooth headset or ear piece that works well with a helmet and riding? I want to do my rides in the evenings but am on-call 24/7 a week a month. Havent come across a good solution yet. Ideas? Besides leave the phone at home... i have a headset and earpiece that dont work too well with a helmet.

Looigi 04-01-14 11:12 AM

FWIW: Anything I've tried generates a lot of wind noise unless it seals the ear canal the same as sound attenuating foam ear plugs. The earphones I use do effectively seal the ear canal but are wired. I assume similar bluetooth earphones can be found. Note that these greatly attenuate ambient sounds and playing any audio program will further decrease what you will hear with that ear.

Looigi 04-01-14 12:12 PM

There is this from another thread: Mini-speakers for bike helmets let riders hear more than just their music

Ludkeh 04-01-14 02:14 PM

I've got the Cardo BK-1, bluetooth intercom system for my tandem bike. It can be synced with a iphone or android phone. When the phone rings, all you have to do is speak and the phone will pick up. Stuff the phone in your back pocket and your good to go!

fietsbob 04-01-14 02:25 PM

Can't you stop the bike , pull off the road and answer your cell phone?

digger531 04-01-14 04:06 PM

I use the lg-hbs730 and use to use the 700 love them both for music and I am always annoyed when they alert me to phone calls and messages but you can not talk while you are riding.

cvskates 04-01-14 06:43 PM

I tried these Denon blue tooth headphones - returned them after one ride because of connection issues (they would drop the signal for a fraction of a second every minute or so - really irritating. Read some reviews to make sure i didn't get a bum pair, and it;s a common complaint.

WonderMonkey 04-01-14 08:48 PM

I use an LG model and it's great to have one bud in the ear to detect phone calls but I do have to go real slow or pull over (pull over for the safety) to chat. Else wind noise is too great. I have to be aware of incoming phone calls at all times so that's what I do.

Amazon.com: LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

WonderMonkey 04-01-14 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by digger531 (Post 16632766)
I use the lg-hbs730 and use to use the 700 love them both for music and I am always annoyed when they alert me to phone calls and messages but you can not talk while you are riding.

Very similar to what I have.

WonderMonkey 04-01-14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16632431)
Can't you stop the bike , pull off the road and answer your cell phone?

That doesn't always work out. I've actually given this thought I think it is safer to reach up and push the button to answer the phone and say "Hold on a second, pulling over". I've argued this with myself over and over and the times I've found my phone in a place that doesn't make it easy to quickly pull over and answer before it rolls leads me to doing the bluetooth thing. Having the ear piece in is no more dangerous than you make it.

fietsbob 04-01-14 09:01 PM

OK Im thinking ... of folks acting the same driving or cycling ... as a developed habit..

and stop 1, and answer 2. which in a car is less easy ..

but no real phone centered person my self , maybe a bit optimistic. :innocent:

marcusrojo 09-28-20 06:32 PM

I am personally using Logitech G430 and Mixcder E9 headset for my personal use specifically for riding and driving and. I would recommend you to use this because it is a very good option instead of the handfrees and It is quite affordable. They are one of the best noise cancelling headsets.

reconnaissance 09-28-20 06:55 PM

I bought a pair of Bose Sport earbuds which I’m very happy with. The sound is fantastic, can receive music from my phone or watch, have excellent pickup of my voice for phone calls. They’re sweat proof, unlike my Bluetooth hearing aids and cost a fraction of the hearing aids.

mstateglfr 09-28-20 07:19 PM

I have used these for many years- https://www.anker.com/products/varia...phone/A32600M1

I recently bought these- https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/j...reless-earbuds

I like ear buds that hook over the ear. First ear buds, then helmet, then glasses. All fits well that way for me.
Both play music well and people I talk with can hear me fine when not riding. When riding, its a struggle since wind is present.

Ah, stupid necro thread. I realized it once I saw banned Bob had a response.

branko_76 09-29-20 01:50 PM

I listen to the birds, rustling leaves and more importantly, the road.

mstateglfr 09-29-20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by branko_76 (Post 21719540)

The road speaks to you? Like literally or metaphorically? Either way, id rather tune out what it has to say. The bottom half of humans are morons, and a road won't be any smarter than them.

branko_76 09-29-20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21719863)
The road speaks to you? Like literally or metaphorically? Either way, id rather tune out what it has to say. The bottom half of humans are morons, and a road won't be any smarter than them.

Yes, half are

Wileyrat 10-01-20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by branko_76 (Post 21719540)

​​​​​​Apperently, you didn't read the op's reason for needing buds in the first place, but with the subject at hand, that's not surprising.

To the op, when I used to be on call, I'd carry my phone in my back pocket and pull over if I got a call. I ended up making a number of calk backs due to missed calls.

good luck on your quest. I have a pair of JBL's that are hit or miss on cutting out.

branko_76 10-01-20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 21723579)
​​​​​​Apperently, you didn't read the op's reason for needing buds in the first place, but with the subject at hand, that's not surprising..

Apparently, some people need everything explained to them and that's usually the other half.

rsbob 10-01-20 11:18 PM

Bought MPOW Bluetooth earbuds. They are not the stick type which fall out, but these are secure and fit nicely. Answering calls just requires a tap with good fidelity (bass) and a good microphone. And they are relatively cheap on Amazon.

i only use one in my right ear while riding so I can still cue in on traffic or birds or bakeries.

Danhedonia 10-02-20 10:10 PM

Apparently, some people think they know everything.

Galaxy 2 buds are nice, fit well and don't interfere with your ear, and have a setting you can toggle that permits / accentuates ambient noise depending on setting. They have an excellent set of sequenced taps for controlling phone functions, and I wear them when I'm not even listening to stuff because they do a fine job of cutting down wind while picking up ambient sounds.

Trevtassie 10-02-20 10:48 PM

Vertix Velo make a heap of different blue tooth intercoms and attached headsets that pair with your phone. If you can't find a headset among their range that works for you, I'd be very surprised. https://www.vertixglobal.com/collections/velo
Excellent intercoms too!

Leisesturm 10-02-20 10:55 PM

Aftershokz (sp) bone conduction (bluetooth) headphones. I have a pair that are wired but newer models only do bluetooth. Which is just as well cause Iphone 8se only does bluetooth so getting a new pair. Yes, they are that good.

Camilo 10-04-20 10:24 PM

the OP probably figured out his solution 6 years ago.

Leisesturm 10-08-20 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 21728529)
the OP probably figured out his solution 6 years ago.

Damn! You're right. WTF. How and why do people find these dead threads to resurrect?