Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

rjones28 03-28-22 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22453198)
I get it.

The Habanero is straight-gauge Ti so it's not an issue. I almost think that it's SAFER to clamp the TT than the seatpost which is crabon fiber and could assplode. So in this case, I am pretty sure it's ok to clamp the top tube. I understand that may still be a trigger to others so I will try to be sensitive.

#woke

You asked the question...

datlas 03-28-22 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453211)
You asked the question...

And your answer was spot on. :thumb:

I had wanted to be sure I was not missing some other reason.

LAJ 03-28-22 08:01 AM

Just another average Monday

Wordle 282 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

big john 03-28-22 08:15 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22453146)
Not me brother.. Ive broken more of them than I care to think about. The last one was the Trek post on the cross bike. I always break them in the rear, right at the clamp. Thomson and kore seat posts ftw.
I don't want to think about having carbon shards removed from that area.

I've broken at least 4 posts so I am reluctant to try a cf post. Since I started using Thomson posts on everything except the mtb, I have not had a problem.

genejockey 03-28-22 08:35 AM

I was told not to clamp to the tubes when I got my very first "grown up" bike - Cannondale aluminum. I think for most stuff, it's not a big deal, but if you're exerting force, like tightening BBs or crank bolts, it's more of an issue. I've noticed in several of the 'bike build' video series, the first thing the do is put in the seatpost and clamp by it. OTOH, that British guy, BikeIt UK, clamps by the top tube, but he's generally working on old steel stuff.

genejockey 03-28-22 08:36 AM

But, yeah - your seatpost is built for clamping forces, and it's also built a lot stronger than the tubes. Imagine how heavy a bike made out of seatposts would be!

genejockey 03-28-22 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22452945)
It's nice to see someone at least make an attempt at besting me in the messiest work bench category.

I only take pictures of my work bench after I spend at least some effort to make it presentable. Normally it's worse than that.

seedsbelize2 03-28-22 09:08 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22453133)
Not if you have a carbon seat post and everyone does nowadays, unless one is a cycling tech curmudgeon. :innocent:

Raises hand
The reason you don't clamp the top tube is because there are some out there to whom the paint job is god. No scratches allowed. No insert/excert marks on the seatpost. No indication whatsoever the the bike has ever been ridden, let alone touched by human hands. It is an idol to be bowed down to.

BillyD 03-28-22 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22453263)
Just another average Monday

It felt so much like a Sunday early this morning for some reason.
#retireeproblems

BillyD 03-28-22 09:15 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22453385)
Raises handThe reason you don't clamp the top tube is because there are some out there to whom the paint job is god. No scratches allowed. No insert/excert marks on the seatpost. No indication whatsoever the the bike has ever been ridden, let alone touched by human hands. It is an idol to be bowed down to.

You're saying this like it's a bad thing.

BillyD 03-28-22 09:17 AM

Snow flurries are in the air. :bday:

datlas 03-28-22 09:19 AM

Hmmm.....I wonder if I should do a thread with a poll regarding top-tube clamping and reasons why/why not to do it....

Nah.

LAJ 03-28-22 09:20 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22453388)
It felt so much like a Sunday early this morning for some reason.
#retireeproblems


Soon. Soon. Get my 20 in, and I'm outta here.

LAJ 03-28-22 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22453385)
Raises hand
The reason you don't clamp the top tube is because there are some out there to whom the paint job is god. No scratches allowed. No insert/excert marks on the seatpost. No indication whatsoever the the bike has ever been ridden, let alone touched by human hands. It is an idol to be bowed down to.

My **** is clean, and I ride carbon. Two strikes against me already. I have no issue putting the top tube in my bike stand clamp, but I do use a micro fiber towel in the clamp. Is the towel the third strike? Or is it best that we all ride **** that looks like it came out of the back of Fred Sanford's truck?

datlas 03-28-22 09:28 AM

Parody thread idea of the day: "Cleanest Way To Exit Bikeforums."

I won't do it, of course. But if someone else takes up the cause.... :innocent:

Mojo31 03-28-22 09:37 AM

I use a Hirobel. No clamp on the bike, nosiree.

rjones28 03-28-22 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22453413)
My **** is clean, and I ride carbon. Two strikes against me already. I have no issue putting the top tube in my bike stand clamp, but I do use a micro fiber towel in the clamp. Is the towel the third strike? Or is it best that we all ride **** that looks like it came out of the back of Fred Sanford's truck?

People pay a lot of money to make it look like they've got a clapped out heap.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...28305faf44.png

LesterOfPuppets 03-28-22 09:52 AM

Even with straight gauge Ti I'd only clamp the top tube for a quick derailleur adjustment or the like. No way in hell I'd try to remove pedals with that clamp arrangement.

LesterOfPuppets 03-28-22 09:55 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22453466)
Even with straight gauge Ti I'd only clamp the top tube for a quick derailleur adjustment or the like. No way in hell I'd try to remove pedals with that clamp arrangement.

Most of my home wrenching is done with the bike flipped upside down on a clean carpet remnant I have out in the garage, though.

Then I'll put 2x4 chunks under the ends of the handlebars for MTBs with gripshifts or thumbshifters.

Mojo31 03-28-22 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453456)
People pay a lot of money to make it look like they've got a clapped out heap.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...28305faf44.png

Indeed. This one has been "restored." To what I don't know.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...11a5cd9f34.jpg

big john 03-28-22 10:30 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453456)
People pay a lot of money to make it look like they've got a clapped out heap.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...28305faf44.png

For a 70 year old car that looks pretty good. Not the same as a road bike of recent vintage.

I'm not obsessive about my bikes but someone knocked my Gunnar over into a curb and scratched the seatstay for about 6 inches. One of the guys ridiculed me for getting upset.
I don't have a bike stand so I don't worry about that part.

Trsnrtr 03-28-22 10:34 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22453441)
I use a Hirobel. No clamp on the bike, nosiree.

Same. I bought one because of owning three carbon bikes and it holds my tandem well, also. I like it.

BillyD 03-28-22 10:45 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9cfc15384.jpeg

Jack Tone 03-28-22 10:47 AM

For you Ti guys, I have too many bikes, but, you know, N + 1. I keep looking at this on Craigslist for $750 with older Dura Ace. I've never owned or ridden Ti.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6dafd61d0a.jpg

datlas 03-28-22 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22453558)
For you Ti guys, I have too many bikes, but, you know, N + 1. I keep looking at this on Craigslist for $750 with older Dura Ace. I've never owned or ridden Ti.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6dafd61d0a.jpg

If it's your size, you should try it!

p.s. ask the seller where he clamps it. :innocent:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.