Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Shop says "you cyclist ruin everything" C&V too! Lol (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1286230)

chain_whipped 12-07-23 01:14 PM

Shop says "you cyclist ruin everything" C&V too! Lol

Right out the backyard of corp. Trek

https://youtu.be/X39c6YuYVCI?si=DH0IkRmBAKjZADfL

bikingshearer 12-07-23 01:35 PM

Fun video. (Trying to pry one inch of dick from behind two inches of diaper? Priceless.) I especially enjoy the idea that somebody is bound to be butt-hurt about it.:popcorn

Bad Lag 12-07-23 01:42 PM

"Scathing critique"? I think not.

To me, it seems more like a statement of harsh facts, delivered with a smile and a sense of humor. Harsh facts are often best delivered in that way.

sloar 12-07-23 01:50 PM

Great video,

TenGrainBread 12-07-23 03:34 PM

Oh I know exactly which shop this guy worked in in college

john m flores 12-07-23 04:13 PM

I feel seen

steelbikeguy 12-07-23 04:14 PM

Hmmm... I tend to agree with the final argument that manufacturers are pushing a lot of unnecessary tech at consumers, although consumers still have some choice to buy mid or low level tech. I'm not sure why he spends at least half of the video complaining about cycling subcultures that he doesn't agree with.
I do sympathize with the idea that dealing with customers is (or can be) a form of torture. :)

Steve in Peoria

Moe Zhoost 12-07-23 04:30 PM

Loved it. I suspect that many of us are mongrel cyclists with a little bit of all of those categories mixed into our two-wheeled identities.

Sedgemop 12-07-23 04:36 PM

OK, now this is how you make fun of cyclists.

SurferRosa 12-07-23 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy (Post 23093810)
I'm not sure why he spends at least half of the video complaining about cycling subcultures.

Less blowback for the misanthrope than talking about blacks or Asians.

john m flores 12-07-23 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 23093830)

What does this mean?

SurferRosa 12-07-23 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by john m flores (Post 23093840)
What does this mean?

Just what it says. It's "easy pickins" and no one will "cancel" him.

steelbikeguy 12-07-23 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 23093830)

after reading some of the comments on the video, I'm wondering if his characterization of cycling types wasn't just an extension of his general dislike for dealing with customers? There is a long tradition of identifying cycling subcultures and their traits, but there's usually no further division into the "good" and "bad" types. I think he could have saved time and just said "competition is bad, while just riding around and seeing the sights is good".

Steve in Peoria

john m flores 12-07-23 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 23093843)
Just what it says. It's "easy pickins" and no one will "cancel" him.

Are you suggesting that it's wrong to be "canceled" for making fun of blacks and Asians?

zandoval 12-07-23 05:08 PM

It would appear I fit most of those categories at one time or another?

So what am I now? "Geriatric Cyclist" for sure.More than that I am a DIY cyclist. So that keeps me with the older type bikes for sure. Curmudgeon?

I just wish I had done Touring before I got all worn out...

SurferRosa 12-07-23 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by john m flores (Post 23093860)
Are you suggesting that it's wrong to be "canceled" for making fun of blacks and Asians?

Dude, come on.

I'll say this ... if it were a cartoon of cyclists killing each other with bags of granola, that gets a hearty laugh.
If the cartoon were Asians killing each other with bags of rice, that only gets a laugh from racists.

john m flores 12-07-23 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 23093917)
Dude, come on.

I'll say this ... if it were a cartoon of cyclists killing each other with bags of granola, that gets a hearty laugh.
If the cartoon were Asians killing each other with bags of rice, that only gets a laugh from racists.

You're as clear as mud. Why the hell did you bring Blacks and Asians into this discussion about cyclists in the first place? Why are you trying to equate them?

SurferRosa 12-07-23 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by john m flores (Post 23093943)
You're as clear as mud. Why the hell did you bring Blacks and Asians into this discussion about cyclists in the first place? Why are you trying to equate them?

Some groups are off limits. Not cyclists, though. They're open game. I wonder how many were run over today without any consequence. :foo:

smd4 12-07-23 07:07 PM

Bet the Bike Farmer enjoys Jef the Cyclists.

Awesome video! I like this guy. Would be fun to grab a cold one with him.

Piff 12-07-23 07:23 PM

As someone who is Asian, what discomfort I have felt as a cyclist is simply not comparable. Just weird to bring up, honestly.

For the record, I'm someone who enjoys going to comedy clubs so I can take a joke.

smd4 12-07-23 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 23093971)
For the record, I'm someone who enjoys going to comedy clubs so I can take a joke.

Unfortunately, SurferRosa lacks that particular skill.

gugie 12-07-23 08:08 PM

Dude had only good things to say about cyclo and adventure touring.
My kinda guy.

Spaghetti Legs 12-07-23 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 23093995)
Dude had only good things to say about cyclo and adventure touring.
My kinda guy.

Enjoyed that. He didn’t say anything about psycho-touring though.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6625cf93a.jpeg

Polaris OBark 12-07-23 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 23093957)
Some groups are off limits. Not cyclists, though. They're open game. I wonder how many were run over today without any consequence. :foo:

I think the significant difference is that "cyclist" is not a genetic/racial characteristic. Instead, it is a recreation/transportation choice that you can take up or leave at your choosing.

79pmooney 12-07-23 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 23094022)
I think the significant difference is that "cyclist" is not a genetic/racial characteristic. Instead, it is a recreation/transportation choice that you can take up or leave at your choosing.

And we can put the bike away, dress in regular street clothes and fool everybody.