Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Delboy Avenger 08-02-16 10:22 AM

yep looking at the frame again I found 296096T = 1952 on the seat tube doh!!
thanks for the info.
Obviously the front and rear hubs are not original.
Why did people paint their bikes black ?
Thanks again.

Delboy Avenger 08-02-16 10:44 AM

Could be mostly of a Lenton Tourist?
b66 saddle, 4 speed all specified.
Same chainset as a Lenton.

Stadjer 08-02-16 11:17 AM

Is this of any help with the hub an shifter?

http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanc...gersjuly06.pdf

rhm 08-02-16 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Delboy Avenger (Post 18955139)
Could be mostly of a Lenton Tourist?
b66 saddle, 4 speed all specified.
Same chainset as a Lenton.

I don't know if they had the same frame details, but @nlerner or @photogravity might be able to say.

nlerner 08-02-16 03:08 PM

I'd vote for Lenton Sports. My Lenton Tourist doesn't have cut outs in the lugs.

BigChief 08-02-16 05:08 PM

What a great find. Looking forward to seeing this project progress. Nice to know that another Lenton will be back on the road.

gster 08-02-16 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Delboy Avenger (Post 18954826)
Another three/four speed has showed up.My brother had it in his shed for the last
15 years.
The Dynohub says its 1960, rear hub date gone as the chrome has peeled just in the wrong place !
However, the lugs on the frame look older to me and the frame number is stamped
on the bottom bracket and reads 911252 although the 1's look like I's.

From Sheldon Brown this frame number is from 1925.

Rear hub says three speed, but the shifter and chain selector is 4 speed.

Rear pannier looks older than 1960 too.

Also comes with wing nuts on wheels, brookes b66,
Looks like green original with black overpaint.

What does the panel think ?

No input on date, but a good find and project.

BigChief 08-02-16 07:43 PM

@gster speaking of good projects...What did you decide about that beautiful red Herc?

gster 08-02-16 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18956531)
@gster speaking of good projects...What did you decide about that beautiful red Herc?

I've made a commitment with the seller but haven't found the time to meet. Hopefully this thursday.
I bought another bike from him a few years ago.
1937 Hercules Falcon (modified).
Worked on it and liked it but way too small for me.

BigChief 08-03-16 05:01 AM

Wow, nice bike. Years ago, I had a system for making 21" frames work for me. Lately I haven't bothered with it, but I'm hoping to have time for longer rides later this year, so I'm planning to do it again. I had a long, 10" stem with bars, levers, grips and trigger shifter all mounted on it. I made up custom cables so it would fit the smaller bike. That way, I could take off the cables, put em aside, swap the whole assembly, hook up the longer cables, raise the seat and have a taller bike without making any permanent modifications. It somehow got lost over the years. My plan is to use a SunLite 10" stem and SunLite alloy bars. It's on my list of things to do.

homba 08-03-16 10:34 AM

How to price my DL-1?

I'm in need of some cash so I'm reluctantly looking to sell my DL-1. How do you all go about pricing and selling one of your babies? I've got around $500 into it over the last 4 years which includes kool stop brake inserts and aluminum alloy rims imported from Austria to replace the rusty steel ones and so that the brakes are more than a suggestion. :rolleyes:

I have it on craigslist in my area (NE Ohio) for $400, but there are 3-4 other 3-speeds (sports models) for sale in varying need of repair for $75-$300. I've seen one other Tourist in this area ever (60's ladies purchased for an ex-gf), so it's pretty rare around here. I've only ridden it a dozen or so times in the last few years after refurbishing it. Any ideas for getting the most out of it?

SquidPuppet 08-03-16 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by homba (Post 18957960)
I'm in need of some cash so I'm reluctantly looking to sell my DL-1. How do you all go about pricing and selling one of your babies? I've got around $500 into it over the last 4 years which includes kool stop brake inserts and aluminum alloy rims imported from Austria to replace the rusty steel ones and so that the brakes are more than a suggestion. :rolleyes:

I have it on craigslist in my area (NE Ohio) for $400, but there are 3-4 other 3-speeds (sports models) for sale in varying need of repair for $75-$300. I've seen one other Tourist in this area ever (60's ladies purchased for an ex-gf), so it's pretty rare around here. I've only ridden it a dozen or so times in the last few years after refurbishing it. Any ideas for getting the most out of it?

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries - Bike Forums

SirMike1983 08-03-16 07:37 PM

An American 3 speed variation: 1954 Schwinn World Traveler.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xaaEOkyNk...731_153537.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j_DS5xdvB...731_145556.jpg

DQRider 08-04-16 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 18959314)

I had no idea Schwinn made such beautiful 3-speeds. I see they did not use lugged construction. Is that fillet brazed? Or some other process?

BigChief 08-04-16 09:16 AM

@SirMike1983 Wow, that's a beauty. The older, shark fin front fender, Schwinn New World, World Traveler have always been on my watch list. Nice bikes. Very rare these days.

gster 08-04-16 10:56 AM

1950 Hercules Sports

3 Attachment(s)
Picked it up today, Quite nice but needs some work.
Full set of photos here:
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...rcules-sports/

gster 08-04-16 11:01 AM

Hercules Question

1 Attachment(s)
The bike came with this odd cable stop which I think is homemade. Any thoughts from the experts?

gster 08-04-16 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by homba (Post 18957960)

I think $400 is reasonable but it's always a case of supply and demand in your area.

gster 08-04-16 11:14 AM

more

1 Attachment(s)
The drive side crank has been deliberately bent and filed to clear the chain case.
I suspect the spindle has been installed backwards.

Salubrious 08-04-16 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18960714)
The bike came with this odd cable stop which I think is homemade. Any thoughts from the experts?

I viewed your photos. This is a rare bike! That cable stop may be stock. The shifter is correct for the period and may also be stock. The cable stop on the front brake needs work so that the cable doesn't bend! Otherwise the cable may fail. This type of brake cable is a bit more of an assembly as I think you will find that the cable stop on the brake is part of the assembly. The handlebar grips are newer replacements (I suspect the originals were white) and the brake blocks are replacements also. It looks like the pedal clearance panel on the chainguard has been replaced; I would expect it to be red like the rest of the chain enclosure.

SquidPuppet 08-04-16 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 18959881)
I had no idea Schwinn made such beautiful 3-speeds. I see they did not use lugged construction. Is that fillet brazed? Or some other process?

"Electroforged". It was Schwinn's attempt to imitate (successfully?) a filet brazed join. I call it a Faux Filet.

The first paragraph here explains the process in basic terms.

Chicago Schwinns

Then this article on the Varsity (same construction) goes into detail and includes picture and drawings.

Inside the Varsity

That head tube join, the flat forged forks, and the seat stay-seat-seat-tube join are my favorite quirky features on older Schwinns.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/caramel-coaster-21856_24.jpg

BigChief 08-04-16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18960714)

Congratulations!!! I love this bike. Looks like you will have to deal with the bottom bracket though. If reversing the spindle doesn't work, I see all sorts of NOS spindles on eBay. I think, with patience, you could find one that fits with a longer drive side. I'd be interested to see the measurements of the existing spindle when you have it apart. I have a couple spindles around here that don't fit my Raleigh Sports or Roadsters. Ya never know.

gster 08-04-16 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 18960774)
I viewed your photos. This is a rare bike! That cable stop may be stock. The shifter is correct for the period and may also be stock. The cable stop on the front brake needs work so that the cable doesn't bend! Otherwise the cable may fail. This type of brake cable is a bit more of an assembly as I think you will find that the cable stop on the brake is part of the assembly. The handlebar grips are newer replacements (I suspect the originals were white) and the brake blocks are replacements also. It looks like the pedal clearance panel on the chainguard has been replaced; I would expect it to be red like the rest of the chain enclosure.

Thanks for the input and encouraging words.

arex 08-04-16 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18960695)
Picked it up today, Quite nice but needs some work.
Full set of photos here:
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...rcules-sports/

I like those old brake levers.

dweenk 08-04-16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 18959314)

I had a ladies World Traveler several years ago. It was very well made and had a Sturmey Archer rear hub and shifter. I think the frame was Electro-Forged. As nice as it looked, it was one heavy beast of a bike. I sold it to a young lady so she could be properly equipped for a tweed ride with her husband.