Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drying a bike by machine (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269958)

fredlord 04-08-23 03:37 PM

Drying a bike by machine

I tried drying a bike with an ancient data-vac (electric handheld machine for blowing dust out oof computers). It did the job quickly and thoroughly, then died.

Now I’m in the market for a new drying machine. It will only be used for drying bikes. Small and cheap would be good. Portable (i.e. fit in a backpack) would be even better. Having to be plugged-in is fine.

Any recommendations? I'm in Sydney but will order overseas if necessary.

Cheers.

terrymorse 04-08-23 04:04 PM

An electric leaf blower ought to do the trick. I see those in use at the local car wash, before they do their final wipe down.

And who knows? Maybe you'll find a leaf that needs blowing.

fredlord 04-08-23 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22854053)
An electric leaf blower ought to do the trick. I see those in use at the local car wash, before they do their final wipe down.

And who knows? Maybe you'll find a leaf that needs blowing.

Thanks, that didn't even cross my mind. Probably because I hate those things.:)

rsbob 04-08-23 07:09 PM

No suggestion for you Lord Fred, but an interesting observation the other day after I cleaned my chain using a chain pig and Parks chain cleaner. Usually I wipe the chain as thoroughly as one can with rags. This time I used compressed air to get the remaining cleaner and rinse water out of the chain and was shocked to see how much liquid the chain was still holding as well as hidden black residue. I will be using the compressor in the future after cleaning and rinsing.

Fred you may want to check Amazon for mini-blowers. Here’s a page full of them: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mini+air+..._ts-doa-p_1_16

indyfabz 04-08-23 07:15 PM

Something wrong with a blow dryer from somewhere like CVS?

tempocyclist 04-08-23 08:07 PM

A basic multi-speed hairdryer should do the trick I would think.

Koyote 04-08-23 08:30 PM

Wipe it off with a clean soft towel and let it sit. Using forced air to dry a bike will potentially force moisture into places it should not go.

fredlord 04-08-23 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22854246)
Something wrong with a blow dryer from somewhere like CVS?

Originally Posted by tempocyclist (Post 22854296)
A basic multi-speed hairdryer should do the trick I would think.

​​​​​​​

Thanks for the suggestions, but I know absolutely nothing about hairdryers. Don't they blow hot? Wouldn't that be bad for the bike?

tempocyclist 04-09-23 01:09 AM

Yes they blow hot, and that could be an issue with frame stickers and whatnot. Some hairdryers have a "cool" setting I'm pretty sure, which would be better.

fredlord 04-09-23 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22854318)
Wipe it off with a clean soft towel and let it sit. Using forced air to dry a bike will potentially force moisture into places it should not go.

That's a pity because that "let it sit" thing really messes with my life organisation.

Chuck M 04-09-23 04:39 AM

My first thought was a small shop vac used in blower mode. But I like the leaf blower idea more. The leaf blowers can be had in cordless styles which would probably be more convenient.

dedhed 04-09-23 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by fredlord (Post 22854322)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I know absolutely nothing about hairdryers. Don't they blow hot? Wouldn't that be bad for the bike?

A bike should be able to handle temperatures your head does.

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Mid-Si...843142255&th=1

indyfabz 04-09-23 05:55 AM

Your lungs? Free, cordless and no power required.

staehpj1 04-09-23 06:19 AM

Bounce it on the tires a few times? That shakes off a lot of the major drops. I use WD40 to displace water from some parts like the retention portion of spd pedals. It leaves some minimal lubrication and doesn't leave anything that dirt clings to.

I have used a not too powerful battery leaf blower at times, but usually just a few bounces and some Florida sun.

phughes 04-09-23 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 22854501)
A bike should be able to handle temperatures your head does.

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Mid-Si...843142255&th=1

Says the guy named dedhead. :foo: :p

Pratt 04-09-23 05:22 PM

Won't fit in the dryer at the laundromat?

indyfabz 04-09-23 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 22855098)

Easier to just hang it up with the towel after showering with the bike. No quarters necessary.

Troul 04-09-23 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 22855098)

depends on how aero the bicycle is?

wolfchild 04-09-23 06:20 PM

Why speed up the drying ?....Why can't you just leave the bike alone and let it dry naturally on its own?.

terrymorse 04-09-23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22855156)
Why speed up the drying ?....Why can't you just leave the bike alone and let it dry naturally on its own?.

Water spots?
Surface rust on the drivetrain?

fooferdoggie 04-09-23 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22855192)
Water spots?
Surface rust on the drivetrain?

yes my shop in winter has no heat and if it is 99% humidity and raining for weeks on in my bike never dries. I use an electric leaf blower (because I have one) to blow the water off the chain so it wont rust. fast and easy.

zandoval 04-09-23 07:20 PM

Over the past years I have come to use my leaf blower. I wash my bikes with laundry soap and water using a soft brush. I then blow off the water and then spray the entire bike with ArmourAll tire foam. I spray everything. Seat, brakes, tires, spokes, hubs, bars... everything. I then hit it with the leaf blower again then wipe the entire bike down with a soft cloth. The emollients in the tire foam leave a nice shinny layer of protection over the paint, metal and rubber/plastic components as well a low level lubrication.

I would probably do things much differently if I was doing dirty mountain biking and bringing home a crusty bike...

JohnDThompson 04-09-23 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by fredlord (Post 22854322)

Keep the blower moving, so no spot can get overheated.

CrimsonEclipse 04-09-23 07:26 PM

Jet engine...

Or, if it's a folding bike:
coin laundry

genejockey 04-10-23 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22855156)

That works when it's warm, and dry enough outside, or even inside where the bike(s) are kept, but this winter it was always wet outside, and my bikes are kept in an unheated garage, and of course needed to be washed more frequently because they were ridden in the wet. So I would close run a space heater to warm up the garage and a box fan to circulate the air.