Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   29 degrees & snowing hard vs 10 degrees & sunny (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1245561)

rumrunn6 01-22-22 08:45 AM

29 degrees & snowing hard vs 10 degrees & sunny

I'd take the 29 degree snow storm

Inusuit 01-22-22 10:12 AM

I would need to know condition of the road surface in the snow storm and the prevailing wind. Sun and no wind would tempt me, but 10 degrees is not tempting.

Rage 01-22-22 10:41 AM

I did 14 degrees the other day. It kinda sucked. Sign me up for 29 degrees and snowing.

MNBikeCommuter 01-24-22 06:43 AM

10F and sunny, speaking from personal experience. My biking is on roads, and the 29F and snowing features clueless drivers, narrow roads, snow plows, briny spray,...

MinnMan 01-24-22 08:23 AM

I was out yesterday morning with beautiful sunny skies, almost no wind, and a light coating of excellent fresh snow on plowed trails for much of the ride. At the outset it was -8 °F, but 3 hours later, at the very end, it got up to 0° F.

It was genuinely GLORIOUS.

29 *F and hard blowing snow wouldn't have been nearly as much fun, particularly if there was significant ground accumulation.

Hypno Toad 01-24-22 10:00 AM

I mean .... I ride both, all the time, but my pick is totally 10 degrees & sunny (or even -10F & sunny)

29F and snow is likely gonna get you wet with melting snow, and it's much harder to stay warm as the melting snow soaks your clothing.

ClydeClydeson 01-24-22 01:26 PM

Most of the world looked at this question and thought "huh... snow at 29 degrees? It doesn't snow in the middle of summer..."
Anyhoo, once I recalibrated my brain to read caveman units, I prefer colder and not snowing. The closer to the freezing mark, the wetter the snow and so the wetter the rider will get.
10 degrees F, which is... ummm .... colder?... (F - 32) x 5/9 = ~-12C. That's not so cold that you will have trouble staying warm, generally speaking, as long as skin is covered and hands and feet are kept warm.
Riding in 2 degrees below zero in heavy snow will be difficult, uncomfortable and wet.

ZIPP2001 01-24-22 03:45 PM

I'll take the sunny cold temps. It only takes me a short time to get warmed up and by a 1/2 hour in I'm already de-layering.

MinnMan 01-24-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson (Post 22385506)
Most of the world looked at this question and thought .....

Most of the world didn't see the question.

"huh... snow at 29 degrees? It doesn't snow in the middle of summer..."
Anyhoo, once I recalibrated my brain to read caveman units, ....

Guilty as charged.

Hypno Toad 01-25-22 07:40 AM

I had to go out and prove my point yesterday, temps a little below 10F/-12C and clear skies ... Lovely ride and you'll never get a massive snotsicle at 29F/-2C :lol:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...efab911fb5.jpg

rumrunn6 01-25-22 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 22386317)
I had to go out and prove my point yesterday, temps a little below 10F/-12C and clear skies ... Lovely ride and you'll never get a massive snotsicle at 29F/-2C

so gross but we believe you now! :D

cyccommute 02-03-22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 22385174)
29F and snow is likely gonna get you wet with melting snow, and it's much harder to stay warm as the melting snow soaks your clothing.

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

And do you know why it’s harder to stay warm? Could it be (I need a Church Lady gif:rolleyes:)…Wind Chill!

Nah. Couldn’t be that. “Wind chill” isn’t a “thing” according to some guy on the Intertubz.

Good thing I was done with my coffee!

cyccommute 02-03-22 12:06 PM

Most of the world looked at this question and thought "huh... snow at 29 degrees? It doesn't snow in the middle of summer..."
Anyhoo, once I recalibrated my brain to read caveman units, I prefer colder and not snowing. The closer to the freezing mark, the wetter the snow and so the wetter the rider will get.
10 degrees F, which is... ummm .... colder?... (F - 32) x 5/9 = ~-12C. That's not so cold that you will have trouble staying warm, generally speaking, as long as skin is covered and hands and feet are kept warm.
Riding in 2 degrees below zero in heavy snow will be difficult, uncomfortable and wet.

Let me apologize for my country’s backward ways;)

Hypno Toad 02-03-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 22397487)
:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

And do you know why it’s harder to stay warm? Could it be (I need a Church Lady gif:rolleyes:)…Wind Chill!

Nah. Couldn’t be that. “Wind chill” isn’t a “thing” according to some guy on the Intertubz.

Good thing I was done with my coffee!

Ummmm ... really ... :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see you made yourself laugh, but I know you know that a person can be wet and cold without any wind; being wet and cold has nothing to do with wind or wind chill factor.

cyccommute 02-04-22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 22397543)
Ummmm ... really ... :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see you made yourself laugh, but I know you know that a person can be wet and cold without any wind; being wet and cold has nothing to do with wind or wind chill factor.

Yep. Being wet may not have a lot to do with wind chill but the “being cold” certainly does. You do know that being wet makes cold a whole lot worse with wind, don’t you?

What am I saying, of course you don’t!

Hypno Toad 02-04-22 10:44 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d9a002f13.gif