Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

JaccoW 05-01-18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20316113)
You can get black alloy Westwoods and stainless Westrick rims here https://hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-...bike-28-1-1-2/ starting from about US$23ish, but only in 36 hole as you say. Postage from the Netherlands might be the killer. The Westricks have a textured braking surface. Ah sorry that link is only to 28 x 1 1/2 rims - I just had a look and they do have some vintage style 26 x 1 3/8 rims but they're mixed in with 559/26" rim listings. Actually there are westwoods in 559 and 590

Lots of newer retro city bikes still come with those Westwood rims over here but practically no one rides smaller wheels than 700c.

Here is another source of those rims.

They also mention they know people are looking for 32/40h versions but they simply don't have a source for wheels like that. It seems like hardly anyone still makes them.

There is another shop that sells oldtimer cargo bike partswho has several older wheels in 26 inch but no mention of other sizes or spoke holes.
They do however have some really cool older lights and grips.

BigChief 05-01-18 04:16 AM

Rims are always the first thing to give in to rust when bikes get neglected. It tends to be the biggest factor in making restoration projects uneconomical. 32/40 Westwoods and Raleigh pattern rims especially are getting more rare all the time, so we should take care to save them whenever an opportunity shows up.

paulb_in_bkln 05-01-18 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20315835)
Sometimes I wonder if all these current steel city bikes--Public, Linux, Papillionaire, Biria, etc.--might come out of the same Asian factory. But I think they should last as long as people want to use them, even though some components, like bottom brackets and pedals, and some hubs, are serviced by replacing them not cleaning, lubing, and adjusting like with the old Raleighs. Although I particularly wish pedals would be made to be serviceable. I have a Public and those Well-gos, they start clicking in no time. Pedals live a hard life.

LInus! I meant Linus!

BigChief 05-01-18 06:12 AM

This poor fella is a month late for April Fools.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...572723800.html

agmetal 05-01-18 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20316310)
This poor fella is a month late for April Fools.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...572723800.html

That's my post, it was inspired by an Astra with a dramatically bent fork and asking price of $300. The seller had been contacted numerous times and thought people were trolling him about the fork being bent. He swore up and down that it was supposed to look the way it did, and even added a note telling off all the people who were reaching out to him. Between that and the fact that people frequently ask me at work about buying used bikes from CL and this being the beginning of peak bike-buying season, I put this up as a PSA

BigChief 05-01-18 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20316494)
That's my post, it was inspired by an Astra with a dramatically bent fork and asking price of $300. The seller had been contacted numerous times and thought people were trolling him about the fork being bent. He swore up and down that it was supposed to look the way it did, and even added a note telling off all the people who were reaching out to him. Between that and the fact that people frequently ask me at work about buying used bikes from CL and this being the beginning of peak bike-buying season, I put this up as a PSA

I thought it was funny. I save stuff like that for April Fool. It's a great tradition. Good ad though

paulb_in_bkln 05-01-18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20315618)
I've had a second hand Papillionaire Classic for about a year now. Good price and low mileage, and it has a chromo frame and a nexus 8 (internal gear) hub that I really like. I've read that converting these hubs to oil will make them last a lot longer,

I have read this too. I don't believe it. (Been commuting on 8 speed Nexus five years.)

Ballenxj 05-01-18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20316874)
I have read this too. I don't believe it. (Been commuting on 8 speed Nexus five years.)

Then You would be a good person to ask about durability and how you like it. Converting them to oil? What's in them now if not oil?
Of course I realize this would be best discussed in a thread of it's own.

gster 05-01-18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20316494)

Good job! There are a lot of bent/damaged bikes out there with the seller saying there's nothing wrong with it..
Case in point,
A Kijiji bike from last year with seriously damaged forks.
Ready to Ride!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a5f83e70c.jpg

Cute Boy Horse 05-01-18 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20312748)
The downtube transfer looks the same as the Danish Raleigh we saw earlier in this thread. I think this bike has 26" wheels. Might be Raleigh pattern, but it's hard to see. Nice looking bike.

The downtube decal is just normal all-europe stuff. It's definitely Danish though, because it's front cable braked, rear coaster, that particular design of pannier rack, and they still use the gearcase decal on the current production.

I may know too much about these details.

arty dave 05-01-18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20317333)
Then You would be a good person to ask about durability and how you like it. Converting them to oil? What's in them now if not oil?

The person who gives a run down of the whys, hows, facts and figures with his oil conversion here . From what I've read they're a very well made and reliable hub that most people seem to like, with some complaints about gear spacing. Aaron's bicycle repair also have a how to change oil and grease section here . I've only put about 50 kms on to this hub, but I like it very much. I don't know if I would go to the effort of converting it (coz I may sell this bike), but I do have another used hub I was given sitting on a shelf waiting for the right bike. OK sorry, back to 3 speeds :)

arty dave 05-01-18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse (Post 20317489)
The downtube decal is just normal all-europe stuff. It's definitely Danish though, because it's front cable braked, rear coaster, that particular design of pannier rack, and they still use the gearcase decal on the current production.

I may know too much about these details.

Looks like a slightly different chaincase design and cotterless steel cranks?

SirMike1983 05-01-18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20312543)
That's why I thought they might be 28" wheel bikes. Their geometry makes them look like the top bar is proportionally longer compared to a sports. They're a nice looking bike. I favour bikes with a longer top tube as I'm a bit longer in the torso and a bit shorter in the legs than the usual male of my height. The DL-1 at 60cm - 23 & 5/8" top tube is great for me, as is my Papillionaire classic also at 60. Even with adjusting saddle set back and stem length, that extra inch in the top tube seems to make a big difference to my comfort. The large Sports I owned always felt too short in the reach :(

My belief is that Schwinn partially copied the angles from a 1930s-era Hercules or similar light roadster bike, which had more laid-back frame angles than the post-war Raleigh Sports type bikes had. Schwinn also used 24 TPI threadings on their three-piece cranks from that era, rather than the Raleigh pattern threads or the Schwinn proprietary pattern threads. In fact, I've re-built 1940s Schwinn three-piece bottom brackets using old Birmingham Hercules parts to stand-in for missing Schwinn parts.

SirMike1983 05-01-18 08:03 PM

This week's find - a set of three-piece cranks from a 1940s-era Schwinn Superior light roadster with "AS&Co" chainring. Even came with the pins. The cosmetic condition is basically "relic" but they should prove to be a workable, unique set of period-correct parts for a 1940s Schwinn light roadster.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LYVjpcLEd...%2BSet%2B2.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6h3L6dTPE...%2BSet%2B3.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T3tyLTldF...%2BSet%2B4.jpg

noglider 05-01-18 09:30 PM

@capnjohnny capnjohnny, Linus makes basic bikes like the Sports, and they're reliable and durable. I think they're around $600 or $700 which is reasonable. I hear Biria are nicer made with better paint. Both brands are popular here in NYC.

Ballenxj 05-02-18 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20317889)
@capnjohnny capnjohnny, Linus makes basic bikes like the Sports, and they're reliable and durable. I think they're around $600 or $700 which is reasonable. I hear Biria are nicer made with better paint. Both brands are popular here in NYC.

The only Bike shop that carried them local to me was asking $800. before tax for the 8 speed if I recall correctly? It sure seemed to be a sweet ride though.

paulb_in_bkln 05-02-18 07:28 AM

Then You would be a good person to ask about durability and how you like it. Converting them to oil? What's in them now if not oil? Of course I realize this would be best discussed in a thread of it's own.

I ride in the rain but hardly at all in the sort of drenchers that are almost like submersion. Shimano warn that in rain like that, water will get in. In that case, a yearly cleanout and relube seems smart, but I'm skeptical oil or grease will make any difference. But if the grease is too thick a type, it might interfere with some pivoting surfaces. Important, I've found: cable lubrication.

paulb_in_bkln 05-02-18 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20317889)

Downtown hotels here appear to like the Birias as rides for guests. Public now charging $100 less than I paid five years ago for the mixte eight speed. (Which makes me feel just great.) My friend Bike Shop Mike considers all these (Linus, Biria, Public, Tokyobike, Papillionaire, etc.) to be overpriced. Maybe, when Bikesdirect sells a steel 8 speed IGH for $500.

paulb_in_bkln 05-02-18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 20317793)
This week's find - a set of three-piece cranks from a 1940s-era Schwinn Superior light roadster with "AS&Co" chainring. Even came with the pins. The cosmetic condition is basically "relic" but they should prove to be a workable, unique set of period-correct parts for a 1940s Schwinn light roadster.

From a bike jumble sale or something like that? One crank arm appears to be in much better condition than the other. Thank goodness there are people keeping this old hardware out of the dumps. Just five bikes from the Wright Bros shop remain, which is ridiculous.

paulb_in_bkln 05-02-18 08:41 AM

Mentioned to a drinking buddy last night I'd just bought bike number 7. He likes bikes, too. But when he heard it was an old Rudge, he just groaned. He doesn't get it.

Edit: I should add, he's very prosperous and is comfortable spending much more on bikes than I am.

gster 05-02-18 09:20 AM

Another dubious bike for sale...
CCM 3 Speed.
Could be the angle of the photo but the front end looks off to me.
Ready to Ride!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a9b925f23.jpg

paulb_in_bkln 05-02-18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20317511)
The person who gives a run down of the whys, hows, facts and figures with his oil conversion here .

I wonder what's that piece of wire from his mangled hub. A spring? If a foreign object it's amazing the hub worked as long as it did.

Dewey101 05-02-18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20315836)
I emailed SunRingle to ask directly if the CR18s are being discontinued, and just received a reply. No.

Thank you for checking and posting here Paul. I like the CR18’s, must admit I didn’t have any trouble mounting the Schwalbe Marathon tires, I squeezed the bottom and tied a foot strap to keep it depressed then squeezed around the rim until it just popped on.

Re modern IGH I just replaced the derailleur on my commuter with a Nexus-8, really appreciate being able to shift down when stationary in stop and go traffic. Thought about getting a previous model year Breezer downtown-8 which uses the same Nexus-8. The old stock is currently being sold off through Performance Bike stores which means you can get a steel 8-speed IGH for just $400 which is a steal given the Nexus-8, chain tensioner, and revoshift shifter just cost me $285. This is not a popular move with local bike shop owners like the one I go to who have now dropped Breezer because of dumping by the parent company. It doesn't make much economic sense either given for 2018 the Breezer Downtown has been downgraded with the less expensive Nexus-7 IGH - who is going to buy one until the older stock is cleared out? Sadly the current owners of the Raleigh brand have similarly burned bridges with the local bike shops after their decision last year to sell the bikes on Amazon.

BigChief 05-03-18 05:55 AM

I'm surprised to learn that the new IG hubs don't have oil ports. Adding one makes perfect sense to me. Adding a few drops of oil every once in a while is far easier than tearing down a hub and regreasing and it works just fine. I'm positive that running them dry is a bad idea. Grease will dry up after a while, so that's exactly what will happen.

paulb_in_bkln 05-03-18 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dewey101 (Post 20319859)
The old stock is currently being sold off through Performance Bike stores which means you can get a steel 8-speed IGH for just $400 which is a steal given the Nexus-8, chain tensioner, and revoshift shifter just cost me $285. This is not a popular move and a lot of local bike shops like the one I go to have dropped Breezer and Raleigh because of dumping by the parent companies.

$400? You're right--that's hardly more than the price of the hub and accessories separately, and almost embarrasses what I paid for the Public mixte five years ago. Sigh.