Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   US Sec. of Transportation Buttigieg (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224922)

tcs 03-02-21 07:24 PM

US Sec. of Transportation Buttigieg

The new US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg addresses the National Bike Summit tomorrow.

“We think of trains, planes, and automobiles, but what about bikes, scooters, wheelchairs for that matter?” Buttigieg said during a recent interview with Axios. “Roads aren’t only for vehicles. We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

Hopefully, by that time someone will tell him bicycles ARE vehicles.

Oh! And...Alvey Adee, call your office!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...407488f53b.png

tomato coupe 03-03-21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 21949437)
The new US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg addresses the National Bike Summit tomorrow.

“We think of trains, planes, and automobiles, but what about bikes, scooters, wheelchairs for that matter?” Buttigieg said during a recent interview with Axios. “Roads aren’t only for vehicles. We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

I suspect he meant motor vehicles.

tcs 03-03-21 08:10 AM

The Sec. of Transportation actually riding a bicycle in traffic and agreeing to speak at a bicycle conference? Promising.

BobbyG 03-03-21 09:34 AM

On the one hand I think this may be good for cyclists.

On the other hand I think of what Ronald Reagan pointed out as the most terrifying phrase there is..."I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

How long before well-meaning advocacy falls victim to bureaucratic ineptitude or malfeasance and legislates the fun and practicality out of cycling.

Car sales down? Lobby for draconian cycling statutes under the guise of "safety" and make cycling a less attractive alternative.

Marcus_Ti 03-03-21 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 21949955)
The Sec. of Transportation actually riding a bicycle in traffic and agreeing to speak at a bicycle conference? Promising.

Especially given COVID demonstrating to lots of businesses the waste of needing commuters and expensive office buildings.

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 21950088)
On the one hand I think this may be good for cyclists.

On the other hand I think of what Ronald Reagan pointed out as the most terrifying phrase there is..."I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

How long before well-meaning advocacy falls victim to bureaucratic ineptitude or malfeasance and legislates the fun and practicality out of cycling.

Car sales down? Lobby for draconian cycling statutes under the guise of "safety" and make cycling a less attractive alternative.

Simple. Don't elect people to office who think this is a true-ism. They prove themselves right. Every time.

BobbyG 03-03-21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21950109)
Simple. Don't elect people to office who think this is a true-ism. They prove themselves right. Every time.

That's true! I will remember that the next time some one offers up the Reagan quote.

I will just reiterate my point that politicians and political parties seek out movements and groups whose growth and momentum they can harness and then divert for their own purposes which are often counter to the original aim of the smaller groups.

rydabent 03-03-21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 21950130)
That's true! I will remember that the next time some one offers up the Reagan quote.

I will just reiterate my point that politicians and political parties seek out movements and groups whose growth and momentum they can harness and then divert for their own purposes which are often counter to the original aim of the smaller groups.

In other words talk is cheap.

Paul Barnard 03-04-21 06:56 AM

When I think of cycling infrastructure, I think primarily of city and state roadways. It'll be interesting to see how much money we can print to improve it at the federal level.

work4bike 03-04-21 08:06 AM

I'm very happy with all the changes in roadways here in Jax, Fl. Luckily we don't waste our money on separated bike lanes or MUPs. Give me the simple bike lanes and I'm happy, especially the ones over major waterways.

pdlamb 03-04-21 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21951495)
When I think of cycling infrastructure, I think primarily of city and state roadways. It'll be interesting to see how much money we can print to improve it at the federal level.

Remember, though, that 60-70% of U.S. highway work is done with federal funds. Those state and local projects that aren't pork-barrel funded by the feds (and there's more than meets the eye!) are made possible by state money that's available because of the huge influx of federal money to the state.

Paul Barnard 03-04-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21951641)
Remember, though, that 60-70% of U.S. highway work is done with federal funds. Those state and local projects that aren't pork-barrel funded by the feds (and there's more than meets the eye!) are made possible by state money that's available because of the huge influx of federal money to the state.

Right. Money we don't have, but will rather have to print.

Pratt 03-05-21 11:52 AM

How much more, on average, would it cost to add, say, a 4' shoulder on each side of a road when it is built?
I said "average" because we have roads, here in Vermont that have little or no shoulder before a steep wall of rock.
Relevant to the picture in the OP: Wouldn't it be safer to have that satchel on the rear rack?

mr_bill 03-05-21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 21953640)
Relevant to the picture in the OP: Wouldn't it be safer to have that satchel on the rear rack?

Have you ever used a bikeshare bike? WHAT rear rack? There are no rear racks on a Capital Bikeshare bike. You bring your own bag. If the bag is small enough, you can put it in the small front rack. Otherwise, it's safest to wear your bag on your back.

p.s. DB Call a Bike are one of the rare bikeshare bikes with a rear rack.

Pete Buttigieg is US Secretary of Transportation, so he rides a Capital Bikeshare bike in Washington DC. Andreas Scheuer is the Federal Minister of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, but he chooses to ride his own bike with a rear rack in Berlin.

-mr. bill

rydabent 03-16-21 10:36 AM

Lets be truthful, it is TAXPAYER money no matter where it comes from.

tomato coupe 03-16-21 11:23 AM

The amount varies a lot from state to state but, overall, 46.6% of road funding comes from the federal government.

Joe Bikerider 03-16-21 03:30 PM

Despite all your squawking it is good news that John Kerry (another bike rider) is in the current administration. He’s very tall and has been riding for a long time. Fully recovered now as they say.

rydabent 04-01-21 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 21970684)
Despite all your squawking it is good news that John Kerry (another bike rider) is in the current administration. He’s very tall and has been riding for a long time. Fully recovered now as they say.

That may be your opinion, but not mine.

Flip Flop Rider 04-01-21 09:39 AM

wheel chairs on the street?

BillyD 04-01-21 11:57 AM

Just a friendly reminder, the topic is fine, let’s just keep this free of partisan politics. :)

wphamilton 04-01-21 02:27 PM

I've got to agree with what Secretary Pete said about it. Make sure that we can all coexist on the roadway, that's the bottom line.

And with a push to address our infrastructure, finally, it's a perfect time to advance the interests of cyclists.

mr_bill 04-01-21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21995430)
wheel chairs on the street?

There are lots of sidewalks that are not wheelchair accessible. Hell, when I was using a knee-scooter and there were times I had to “take the lane,” because sidewalk. (Or trash day, and most days are trash day somewhere.)

And yes, people in cars have killed people using wheelchairs.

I’m sure there’s an “advocacy” sub-forum on a wheelchairforums somewhere where some people will blame the person using a wheelchair. (And I’m guessing those people are very “vocal.”)

-mr. bill

rydabent 04-03-21 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 21949437)

Oh! And...Alvey Adee, call your office!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...407488f53b.png

Facebook has now publish a picture of him unloading his bike from a huge SUV a short distance from the Capitol. All is not what it seems.

Cyclist0108 04-03-21 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21998273)
Facebook has now publish a picture of him unloading his bike from a huge SUV a short distance from the Capitol. All is not what it seems.

I always look to Facebook to get the most accurate and authentic information.

rydabent 04-03-21 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21998311)
I always look to Facebook to get the most accurate and authentic information.

There has been at least a half dozen of posts on this now. A picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry if you dont like the truth.