Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What do you do to avoid bike boredom? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183317)

robnol 09-09-19 09:23 PM

What do you do to avoid bike boredom?

this last Saturday I was feeling bored with biking so I decided I needed to jump start my git r done.so I decided I would ride 38 miles and jump off the bike and run 10 miles.....it was just the kick in the pants I needed....what do the rest of the bf world do to avoid bike boredom

Wildwood 09-09-19 10:02 PM

See sig line.
Plus 3 current projects = worthy.
AD Vent Noir
Frejus from late 60s.
Mixte for wifey, also AD (Michelle).

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9e3ac221ef.jpg

Machka 09-10-19 02:17 AM

See thread in Road:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ke-routes.html

But yes, cross training is good too.

wolfchild 09-10-19 03:39 AM

I am so busy I don't have time to feel bored.

Jim from Boston 09-10-19 05:11 AM

What do you do to avoid bike boredom?

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21115706)
this last Saturday I was feeling bored with biking so I decided I needed to jump start my git r done.so I decided I would ride 38 miles and jump off the bike and run 10 miles.....it was just the kick in the pants I needed....

what do the rest of the bf world do to avoid bike boredom

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21115728)
See sig line.
Plus 3 current projects = worthy.
AD Vent Noir
Frejus from late 60s.
Mixte for wifey, also AD (Michelle).

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 21115826)
See thread in Road:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ke-routes.html

But yes, cross training is good too.

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 21115843)
I am so busy I don't have time to feel bored.

I too posted to that thread cited by @Machka. Is the query of this thread what to do to avoid bike boredom, i.e boredom with the bike(s), or boredom with biking? :foo:

Kapusta 09-10-19 05:58 AM

Buy more bikes :)

I am only half-joking. If you mostly ride paved roads, try gravel/dirt road riding. Or off-road trail riding. Or if you are already trail riding, try it on a very different sort of bike.

I ride on the road and also mountain bike. Sometimes I get kind of board with one and I won’t do it at all for a while and just focus on the other.

Back when I was mountain biking several times every week, riding the same local trails over and over on my full suspension bike started to get a little boring. So I got a rigid single speed, and it was like riding a whole new trail system.

Flip Flop Rider 09-10-19 06:03 AM

bored with riding, don't ride

Rje58 09-10-19 07:01 AM

I have lots of interests. If cycling was my only "hobby", or if due to location I was restricted to only one or two route options, I might get bored with it. As it is, life is full of variety - and full!

BobbyG 09-10-19 07:12 AM

Pedal harder.

Lemond1985 09-10-19 07:14 AM

Slim Jims. YMMV.

rumrunn6 09-10-19 08:08 AM

I troll the bike forums ... :D

Spinay70 09-10-19 08:29 AM

this last Saturday I was feeling bored with biking so I decided I needed to jump start my git r done.so I decided I would ride 38 miles and jump off the bike and run 10 miles.....it was just the kick in the pants I needed....what do the rest of the bf world do to avoid bike boredom

Pretty much same for me, but i ride for 50 miles then run 20. Sniff...just sayin.

😆

Spinay70

downhillmaster 09-10-19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21115944)
bored with riding, don't ride

This.

trailangel 09-10-19 08:54 AM

When someone says to me they are bored, my response is...no, you are boring.

robnol 09-10-19 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spinay70 (Post 21116147)
Pretty much same for me, but i ride for 50 miles then run 20. Sniff...just sayin.

😆

Spinay70

Wow. ...Much respect ...that would kill ur average bike rider for sure

billyymc 09-10-19 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21116187)
Wow. ...Much respect ...that would kill ur average bike rider for sure

Riding 50 miles would kill the average runner :)

If you're bored with your regular routes but still want to ride get a mountain bike. Or get a gravel bike and hit some dirt roads. Or get a single speed and ride those same routes (if you can).

Spinay70 09-10-19 09:28 AM

My response was tongue in cheekie breeki. I dont post classified data like that.

Seriously if you are bored on a ride/with a ride change it up. Go for a walk instead. Take a day or two off. Also slowing down on rides, especially if you are in scenic areas is cool...just to look around.

Spinay70

Tamiya 09-10-19 09:35 AM

Try a Raleigh Chopper :love: riding never gets boring on that.

crazyravr 09-10-19 09:39 AM

Go for a walk.

xroadcharlie 09-10-19 09:51 AM

I have a wide range of scenic (and sometimes not so scenic) routes I take 2 - 3 days per week. Often when I ride, after a rest I will walk the bike. Sometimes for 10 - 15 minutes. I feel great after that to finish a 1 - 1.5 hour outing. Some days I just walk for 45 - 60 minutes around the local pond and up the hill. I also do some resistance training with dumbbells 3 days per week. For people over 60 like myself who don't otherwise do much physical work, Resistance training is at least as important as cardio, Not only for general fitness and health, But for recreational cycling too.

robnol 09-10-19 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by billyymc (Post 21116213)
Riding 50 miles would kill the average runner :)

If you're bored with your regular routes but still want to ride get a mountain bike. Or get a gravel bike and hit some dirt roads. Or get a single speed and ride those same routes (if you can).

It would kill their butts

I-Like-To-Bike 09-10-19 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I listen to audio books while I ride. Attached is a list of books I have listened to while riding my bike, with a few of them listened to while driving my car. The trick is to select authors and/or subjects that are not boring or uninteresting to me. For those titles that I cannot find in audio book format, the library has been my good friend, but they are not good for enriching a bicycle ride. Not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.

robnol 09-10-19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21116365)
I listen to audio books while I ride. Attached is a list of books I have listened to while riding my bike, with a few of them listened to while driving my car. The trick is to select authors and/or subjects that are not boring or uninteresting to me. For those titles that I cannot find in audio book format, the library has been my good friend, but they are not good for enriching a bicycle ride. Not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.

Yeah I’m not doing that I don’t want to be aware of cars coming and anything else when I ride

I-Like-To-Bike 09-10-19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21116399)
Yeah I’m not doing that I don’t want to be aware of cars coming and anything else when I ride

Fine, maintain 100% awareness of how boring your rides have become for you. As previously stated, not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.

robnol 09-10-19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21116533)
Fine, maintain 100% awareness of how boring your rides have become for you. As previously stated, not recommended for those unable to chew gum while riding.

And live to ride another day