Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254449)

AJW2W11E 07-01-22 09:12 PM

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Now that it's finally warmed up here in the PNW, I have sweat coming down from my helmet like a waterfall Wasn't a problem last summer because I was still a beginner.
Now that I can finally handle longer faster rides, it's a big issue. The sweat is a different pH then the eye, and I end up with scary red eyes after every ride. Tried a headband and it didn't solve the issue.
After 30 days of pain, today I actually rode today without my helmet. That same helmet prevented mee from a concussion or worse last month when I lost control and hit a wall head on. I also ditched my goggles so I could a hanky on my eyes once in a while More than once those goggles keep branches on a trail from hitting my eyes.
Anything I can do?

Rolla 07-01-22 09:18 PM

Wear a wicking cycling cap under your helmet (not cotton). The material helps move sweat from the skin so it can evaporate, and the edge of the brim directs sweat away from your face.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64903148e8.jpg

*Sweat droplets are for illustration purposes only. Rider is on a closed course.

Camilo 07-01-22 09:20 PM

I wear a lightweight skull cap. It has a front absorbent strip built in, but the whole thing, I thnk, soaks up and/or facilitates evaporation and therefore keeps the sweat from running down my face. I have several, of various weights, with some being extremely light weight. But none of them make my head feel hotter.

Assuming you use sunscreen on your face, maybe try a different brand. We use a specific variation for "faces" and it definitely doesn't sting as much (not at all) when I sweat compared to when I use regular sunscreen on my face. My stinging eyes is almost exclusively from the sunscreen being washed into my eyes from sweat.

dedhed 07-01-22 09:31 PM

https://www.rei.com/product/184486/p...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

rsbob 07-01-22 09:32 PM

I use a Halo headband which has moisture absorption plus a channel to divert remaining moisture away from your eyes. As opposed to a skull cap, your head can still breathe. Great product. https://store.haloheadband.com/

roadcrankr 07-01-22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22561165)
I use a Halo headband which has moisture absorption plus a channel to divert remaining moisture away from your eyes. As opposed to a skull cap, your head can still breathe. Great product. https://store.haloheadband.com/

Another endorsement of the Halo here. Been using for more than ten years.
Sometimes tuck a spare in my jersey pocket to swap out midride.
Keep these washed - like every couple rides - and routinely wash your helmet, as well.
The only downside is the indentation it leaves on my forehead for up to an hour. lol

Camilo 07-01-22 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22561165)

I'm going to check out the Halo. But not to be argumentative but lightweight cycling skull caps don't inhibit "breathing" of the head. The ones I use freely wick sweat to dissipate through the helmet's vents, probably more than without, and aren't noticeably hotter than without - to me. But I rarely ride warmer than 80-85F. I also wear them to protect my thinning pate from the harmful rays of the sun. :thumb:

This is one example. I have a couple of even lighter ones but can't remember the make/model.
PEARL iZUMi Transfer Lite Skull Cap (competitivecyclist.com)
https://content.competitivecyclist.c...PLZ00PX/WH.jpg

Oooh, oooh, while searching for this link, I see halo makes a skull cap. I'm going to try one!

rsbob 07-01-22 10:56 PM

You can be argumentative. Appears to be a BF tradition.

Hope that skull caps works for you.

koala logs 07-02-22 04:44 AM

Wear sunsleeves and use it to wipe the sweat off your face. Ofc, it only works if you're not wearing anything over your eyes.

wolfchild 07-02-22 06:00 AM

I just can't believe that people can't solve a simple problem without going on internet and starting a thread about it...Hats, bandanas, skull caps...you have tons of options out there.

easyupbug 07-02-22 06:22 AM

In Southern Arizona as rsbob says a Halo can keep your glasses clean, it and the Helmet get a lite spay of mild cleaner and a rinse every ride.

GhostRider62 07-02-22 07:10 AM

I cannot stand skull caps. Wearing a hat under a helmet in the sun is just stupid. Bandana? Only on dumpster diving days.

I found the Lazer G1 Mips helmet pad in the front to absorb a lot of sweat. Periodically, I push the helmet into the forehead to squeeze the sweat out letting it fall to the ground.

Or get a recumbent.

BobbyG 07-02-22 07:17 AM

Been wearing a Halo headband for a few years...The 'rubber' barrier strip works great. On long rides on really hot days I also wear a wicking head cap on top of that. It helps keep my head cooler through evaporation and keeps my bald head from getting burnt through the helmet vent holes.

BTW DO NOT DRY THE HALO HEADBAND IN THE DRYER...especial on high...the 'rubber' strip will detatch.

kahn 07-02-22 07:35 AM

I, too, went with the Halo after someone here recommended it in some thread or other. But I have also overwhelmed it when out hiking like this last week. I perspire (polite for SWEAT!!!) profusely and it can overwhelm even the Halo. I stop remove, wring out, reapply and keep SWEATING.

After I get home I wet it down, add a drop of dish soap, massage and thoroughly rinse.

I do have the sun screen problem mentioned so I tend to apply below the eyes. If someone has a recommendation for a non-stinging version, I'd appreciate that. My dermatologist frowns at my forehead.

mstateglfr 07-02-22 07:54 AM

Cycling cap. Pretty old school and simple.

The Chemist 07-02-22 08:20 AM

I have a very thin headband that works to keep sweat out of my eyes as long as I make sure it's down just above my eyebrows. And the weather here in Shanghai is hot and humid, so I sweat a LOT in summer.

Iride01 07-02-22 08:49 AM

SweatVac is what I use, but a Halo, the PI skull cap, even a dew rag or anything else probably works just as well. I like the full head covering though as before I started using the SweatVac my scalp was getting tanned in the pattern of the holes in my helmet. I found that I was actually cooler with the full head covering too.

It looks stupid, but it seems to help if the front edge of it is pulled right down to the eyebrows. Also it seems that riding with glasses that have a narrow height to them seems to also help. Maybe that promotes better airflow to aid in evaporation of the sweat instead of big wide lenses blocking the airflow.

rsbob 07-02-22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22561392)

I do have the sun screen problem mentioned so I tend to apply below the eyes. If someone has a recommendation for a non-stinging version, I'd appreciate that. My dermatologist frowns at my forehead.

Nothing too terribly wrong with being polite. I have been known to slip up and be nice.

One thing I have learned about sweat and skin oil is to:

First thoroughly wash your eye lids and forehead (especially the lids) with soap and water before applying sunscreen.
Second, I use Trader Joe’s sunscreen spray on face, arms, legs, neck. It is always one of the top rated sunscreens for effectiveness and lack of harmful chemicals. Best part is that is super easy to apply and rub in.

Good luck

79pmooney 07-02-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by roadcrankr (Post 22561182)
Another endorsement of the Halo here. Been using for more than ten years.
Sometimes tuck a spare in my jersey pocket to swap out midride.
Keep these washed - like every couple rides - and routinely wash your helmet, as well.
The only downside is the indentation it leaves on my forehead for up to an hour. lol

I get headaches from that indentation so I flip the cap around. Fortunately I don't sweat tons.

Two tricks to eye comfort on hot and humid days - Aloe Gator Gel sunscreen which doesn't run at all and a low salt diet. Eat little enough salt and you don't put salt in your sweat. That sweat in your eyes doesn't sting. (This isn't a short term solution. You have to start the low salt many months before those hot days or you simply keel over from sodium depletion. It is also virtually impossible in the US eating standard foods. I did it as a racer 45 years ago with a very careful diet and virtually no processed foods. This doesn't work for potassium so you still have to eat those bananas.)

Edit: That Aloe Gator Gel - I've applied it on my eyelids and all around my eyes. Only ride issue - remember to be careful rubbing those eyes! But with that and good sunglasses (not wraparound riding glasses) my eyes and area around feel like they haven't even seen the high summer sun.

CliffordK 07-02-22 10:27 AM

I just like plain cotton sweat bands. Generic Branded. My preference is the smooth T-Shirt material.

If I'm commuting or doing errands, I'll just hang it on the handlebars when I stop. Nobody seems to bother them. Then at every stop, rotate to get a dry spot above the forehead.

frogman 07-02-22 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22561379)
I cannot stand skull caps. Wearing a hat under a helmet in the sun is just stupid. Bandana? Only on dumpster diving days.

I found the Lazer G1 Mips helmet pad in the front to absorb a lot of sweat. Periodically, I push the helmet into the forehead to squeeze the sweat out letting it fall to the ground.

Or get a recumbent.

"just stupid" ?
Mocking the suggestion because you don't agree is "just stupid"

MattTheHat 07-02-22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22561335)
I just can't believe that people can't solve a simple problem without going on internet and starting a thread about it...Hats, bandanas, skull caps...you have tons of options out there.

I know. It’s almost like some people want to just get other people’s wisdom…without expending any effort or without wasting time trying solutions that don’t work. Some people! Sarcasm off.

Pinelander 07-02-22 11:08 AM

+1 on Halo, and I keep plain ice water in my second bottle for an occasional squirt thru the helmet vents. The insulated Camelbak bottles hold ice for 2+ hours.

Rolla 07-02-22 11:14 AM

Online tough-guy posturing is probably among the most harmless ways to compensate for one's real-life impotence. Still laughable, though.

spelger 07-02-22 11:33 AM

apparently i am a dumpster diver. oh well.