Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Masi Photos Denied!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1210928)

John R Smith 08-21-20 01:40 PM

Masi Photos Denied!!

Dear Friends

Your Forum refuses to let me post photos of my beautiful Masi. I have spent many hours photographing it in the soft Cornish afternoon light, more long hours writing a piece of deathless prose describing it, and when I try to post - all I get is an error message saying I am not allowed to post attachments because I have not yet made ten posts. Cicloamatori from Denver to Dubai are waiting, crouched by their screens in anticipation for this gem of Italian craftsmanship, but it is denied to them - and you - by this harsh policy of the Forums's moderators, who clearly have hearts of stone.

What do you suggest I do? Make ten posts of an single exclamation mark? Or abandon this venture, and depart into the long night unfulfilled?

Very best regards

John

thinktubes 08-21-20 01:45 PM

Yep - post away. And welcome!

clubman 08-21-20 01:46 PM

Have a bit of patience, we all had to do it. Better to talk about your bike, describe in in detail. Arbitrary posts are frowned upon, that may be in the rules somewhere.
Oh and you only get 5 posts per day. Comment on someone else s bikes, lavish them with praise and bank some karma.

squirtdad 08-21-20 01:55 PM

Well after this build up....... the bike had better be drop dead gorgeous, with photos that Ansel Adam, Edward Weston, Annie Leibovitz, et al would be blown away by :) (pretty clear the decriptive prose will be ....florid)

there is a practical reason for your damnation until 10 post....... the hideous scum of the earth known as scammers

cb400bill 08-21-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by John R Smith (Post 21653404)
Dear Friends

Your Forum refuses to let me post photos of my beautiful Masi. I have spent many hours photographing it in the soft Cornish afternoon light, more long hours writing a piece of deathless prose describing it, and when I try to post - all I get is an error message saying I am not allowed to post attachments because I have not yet made ten posts. Cicloamatori from Denver to Dubai are waiting, crouched by their screens in anticipation for this gem of Italian craftsmanship, but it is denied to them - and you - by this harsh policy of the Forums's moderators, who clearly have hearts of stone.

What do you suggest I do? Make ten posts of an single exclamation mark? Or abandon this venture, and depart into the long night unfulfilled?

Very best regards

John

John, We've all been there. You need 10 good posts before you can post pictures or links. This is an anti Spam system that has served us well. Simply publish 5 good posts per day for two days. Please don't make junk posts as those will be deleted. Many here just say hello to other new forum members in our Introductions Forum.

John R Smith 08-21-20 02:07 PM

Oh well, I always knew Americans didn't have a sense of humour . . . .:)

Fahrenheit531 08-21-20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by John R Smith (Post 21653458)

That's three! :lol:

BucksFanPedalin 08-21-20 02:14 PM

Maybe there should be a "build up your cred" forum in which one can practice one's deathless prose until one is allowed to illuminate it with the soft Cornish light.

(I'm starting over from zero having been away from bikes and my account here for a couple of years due to various circumstances and now morphing from an SS/FG into more of a C&V rider.)

daverup 08-21-20 02:20 PM

OP Album,
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18903463

thinktubes 08-21-20 03:06 PM

Sweet!!!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0467cbdda2.jpg

merziac 08-21-20 04:09 PM

Dear Friends

Very best regards

John

Dear John, welcome aboard, glad you found us. Your pics are now available for all to see.

The 10 post rule is anti-spam/scam and serves us very well so that we can school, drool and carry on ad nauseam till the Cornish light fades from view. ;)

squirtdad 08-21-20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BucksFanPedalin (Post 21653477)
Maybe there should be a "build up your cred" forum in which one can practice one's deathless prose until one is allowed to illuminate it with the soft Cornish light.

(I'm starting over from zero having been away from bikes and my account here for a couple of years due to various circumstances and now morphing from an SS/FG into more of a C&V rider.)

that a great idea a C&V bulwer-lytton thread (he is the author famous for "it was a dark and stormy night" which has inspired this https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

It was a dark and stormy ride, through desolation of suburbia, on his trusty, but not rusty, classic velocipede, showing the vintage ethos, as he pedaled to the hiss of chain an chirping of crickets, he was content writing via his quill stem and the path of the tires, the smoothness of tubular, giving a floating wraith like feel to the experience.

Clyde1820 08-21-20 04:13 PM

Your Forum refuses to let me post photos ... What do you suggest I do? Make ten posts of an single exclamation mark? Or abandon this venture ...

Participate in several other discussions until you reach the minimum-post mark for adding images. Just one of those things to aid in limiting spammers and scammers, which many forums do. No need to abandon anything.

Looking forward to whatever pics you put up, once you've done so.

bikingshearer 08-21-20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by John R Smith (Post 21653458)

Sure we do. If you don't believe me, google "Ford Edsel."

ascherer 08-21-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21653661)
that a great idea a C&V bulwer-lytton thread (he is the author famous for "it was a dark and stormy night" which has inspired this https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

It was a dark and stormy ride, through desolation of suburbia, on his trusty, but not rusty, classic velocipede, showing the vintage ethos, as he pedaled to the hiss of chain an chirping of crickets, he was content writing via his quill stem and the path of the tires, the smoothness of tubular, giving a floating wraith like feel to the experience.

Suddenly, a shot rang out.

repechage 08-21-20 09:06 PM

Nice- Alberto era. Seatlug extension and saw cut crown point that way.
resolution of the images falls apart when I try and review the seat tube bands off drive side have something but not the typical rectangle.
no signature
my guess restored paint.
Might have the short duration heralds too.

I have a fondness for Masi.
own A baker’s dozen.

RiddleOfSteel 08-22-20 12:50 AM

Breathless praise may be much more fitting to describe a dear Masi than deathless prose, which would do it great disservice. Deathless prose and British Leyland, however, would be a riot. ;)

diphthong 08-22-20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21653435)
Well after this build up....... the bike had better be drop dead gorgeous, with photos that Ansel Adam, Edward Weston, Annie Leibovitz, et al would be blown away by :) (pretty clear the decriptive prose will be ....florid)

there is a practical reason for your damnation until 10 post....... the hideous scum of the earth known as scammers

underrated...

John R Smith 08-22-20 02:32 AM

Many thanks for all your good-humoured replies. Actually, to be serious for a moment, my completely wasted evening yesterday and my resulting angst could have been avoided by two simple things -
  1. There could have been a mention in the charming welcome email which the Forum sent to me that there would be a restriction on the posting of photos.
  2. Making sure that the information panel at the bottom of my screen did NOT say -
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

Which it is still doing now. And I did check it very carefully before spending some considerable time writing my introductory text and uploading seven photos and writing interesting captions for each one, all of which promptly disappeared when I hit the post button. I did feel a little bit tetchy, I must admit, hence my post.

Yours, John

merziac 08-22-20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by John R Smith (Post 21654290)
Many thanks for all your good-humoured replies. Actually, to be serious for a moment, my completely wasted evening yesterday and my resulting angst could have been avoided by two simple things -
  1. There could have been a mention in the charming welcome email which the Forum sent to me that there would be a restriction on the posting of photos.
  2. Making sure that the information panel at the bottom of my screen did NOT say -
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

Which it is still doing now. And I did check it very carefully before spending some considerable time writing my introductory text and uploading seven photos and writing interesting captions for each one, all of which promptly disappeared when I hit the post button. I did feel a little bit tetchy, I must admit, hence my post.

Yours, John

No worries, we get that a lot here.

I'm no huge Masi fan or expert by any stretch but they are beautiful and yours is no exception, very nice. ;)

Keep plugging away so you can immerse yourself and enjoy the full obsession that is BF C+V. :twitchy:

Kabuki12 08-22-20 04:17 AM

Yea, Nice Bike , I love the color, and , although I too have had my share of frustrations with the way this forum works, I have had great information. There are folks here that are extremely well versed in all things bicycle.

unterhausen 08-22-20 08:30 AM

Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike

The 10 post/2 day limitation on posting pictures is something the UN should look into.

I admire people that are so reserved in offering their opinions that this is a burden. I, along with many others here, could probably learn something from their example.

We have an introductions forum where you can say something like, "Hi, welcome to the forum. But I'm only here greeting you so I can post pictures" Also, you could go find one of the many threads in the user assistance forum where someone was complaining about this and agree with them that it's an injustice.

The Golden Boy 08-22-20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by John R Smith (Post 21654290)
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

Yours, John

I guess you could post 6 more posts complaining about the photo posting rule and couch them all in some sort of "humor" about "yanks" or something.

John R Smith 08-22-20 10:18 AM

Er - how do I leave the Forum and delete my profile?

John

Essthreetee 08-22-20 11:04 AM

This is the strangest post I think I have read in a while.

You are new to the forum, you come here to show us your great photos (which are always appreciated)...but then complain about the rules that help to keep the forum from spammers and scammers.

Then hit Americans for not having a sense of humor.

All while people of the forum have tried to give you suggestions, and actually posted your photos FOR YOU...

and now you want to leave?

Bye. Good day. Have a great ride.