Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Master Worlds 2021 LA (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1229542)

Clythio 05-01-21 10:03 PM

Master Worlds 2021 LA

Confirmed.
https://mastersworldsla.com/

My point is with "The Championship will consist of three sprint events (match sprints, 500-750-1000m time trial, team sprint) and four endurance events (pursuit, scratch race, points race, and team pursuit."
1) You need to join two other guys to practice the Team Sprint - same age bracket (10 years) and same nation, of course. Less than 1/3 of sprinters can match these conditions. In my case, I'll never have another two track Brazilian masters same age bracket, Never.
2) The short TT (500m, in my age case) have repeated or very similar results for years and years. It's a kind of watts/kg competition, low emotion, etc.
3) So, I'm one of these "sprinters" that pay for an expensive trip just to race on the Sprint Race.
4) Why don't we have Keirin on masters? Using same F200 Quali times, max 12 racers forming 2 semis, 1 only final to define 1 to 6, fast to organize, and not so predictable.
Than we'd have better balance between "sprint" and "enduro" races. 4 x 4..

Baby Puke 05-02-21 05:06 PM

Clythio , I think they feel Keirin is too dangerous for old people. And they may be right, given the number of people who ride like they have never been on a track before that I've seen rock up at big-level masters races in the US. That said, we have keirin for old farts here in Japan, no issues that I've seen, but in general the track manners are better across the board here.

Clythio 05-02-21 08:17 PM

I've heard that kind of justification before.
But having raced Master Worlds 2017/18/19, and having raced Sprint and Scratch in all of them, including making the semis and final on Scratch, and having watched the points racers, for example, I don't think Keirin would bring any different level of risk, considering the racers I've seen on the Sprint Match races.
I'm among those that don't like to crash, but wouldn't be afraid of racing a Keirin against the top 10 of the Sprint Match quali (even on the 60-64 age group we're more than 20 entries).

topflightpro 05-03-21 09:30 AM

I wouldn't buy any plane tickets yet. I've heard rumors that the dates may still change.

Clythio 05-04-21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 22042402)
I wouldn't buy any plane tickets yet. I've heard rumors that the dates may still change.

I've heard the same, about November, but now it seems to be confirmed at October 2-9.
Booked hotel - can be canceled - but not plane tickets.
And..... there will be a Keirin "Demo" race for top Quali times!! Will train harder to be on it!! ;-)

brawlo 05-05-21 06:00 PM

I don't think it's going to be much of a "worlds" this year. Still, it's a good chance to race against some higher level riders

Dfarlow 05-06-21 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by brawlo (Post 22046788)
I don't think it's going to be much of a "worlds" this year. Still, it's a good chance to race against some higher level riders

You think? Given the end of year date, and Covid more under control (well, most places), coupled with a year+ off with no racing for many, I was thinking the opposite....that turnout might be greater. But you may be right, time will tell.

topflightpro 05-06-21 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by brawlo (Post 22046788)

This is what I've heard in regards to rumors around the date. They may push it back to assure more people can travel to the US, but it remains unclear whether many people will be ready to travel internationally this year.

brawlo 05-06-21 05:09 PM

It's not so much about what the US offers, but what other countries have as restrictions. A LOT of countries, even if you can manage to fly to the US, will be putting returned travellers into quarantine which is time off work and potentially increased costs and I would bet a lot of money on that being the case right through to the end of 2021 and beyond. Here in Oz, they're still throwing around the prospect of limited travel OS at best right through 2022

carleton 05-11-21 02:55 PM

It’s not worth it.

We are still knee-deep in a pandemic. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but we aren’t through this yet.

There are too many ways for people to get infected by hosting an international event.

On a related note: The Olympics will be a sh*tshow if they proceed as planned. It should be canceled.

Acting like things are back to normal too soon is how this thing has lasted so long. It’s like a kid that rips off every scab that forms over a scrape then wonders why it’s not healing.

The fastest way out is to do as little as possible. As odd as it sounds, this shouldn’t be that hard.

Baby Puke 05-11-21 05:31 PM

Meanwhile, the World Masters Games is supposedly happening in Japan this month? With conditions on the ground here it looks to be more like a much reduced national masters field. I don't even think riders from other Asian countries will be able to attend. At the moment I'm a lot more worried about landing that backside disaster at my local mini-ramp...

carleton 05-12-21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 22055421)
Meanwhile, the World Masters Games is supposedly happening in Japan this month?

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Baby Puke 05-12-21 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 22056525)
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Agreed. Basically meaningless to hold them now.

Clythio 05-17-21 08:05 PM

Schedule.
https://mastersworldsla.com/uploads/...m_05122021.pdf
Entries ending first week of August, in less than 3 months.. don't know if conditions will allow me - even already vaccinated - lets say, 15 extra days quarentining in another country (like Mexico) before being admitted in USA required for Brazilians..

carleton 05-18-21 10:14 AM

(Nothing against you personally, Clythio, but you bring up the topic...)

Part of keeping the virus in check is about being vaccinated and making sure that oneself doesn’t get it to spread it. But, another part is to not promote situations where others might get it.

It’s a reasonable certainty that someone will spread the virus at this event and someone will catch it, be that person an athlete, coach, spectator, husband/wife/significant other, vendor, official, or child.

In the U.S., it’s the attitude of, “I’m healthy. If I catch it, I’ll be fine!”, attitude that have the virus raging...and killing. It’s selfish.

It’s my understanding that the virus needs a new host within approximately 2 weeks to keep living. Social events is how it spreads.

carleton 05-27-21 02:06 PM

Regarding the Olympics: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...okyo-olympics/

First few paragraphs:

The head of a doctors union in Japan warned Thursday that holding the Olympic Games in Tokyo this summer, with tens of thousands of people gathered from around the world, could lead to the development of a new “Olympic” strain of the coronavirus.

Although Japan has repeatedly pledged to hold a “safe and secure” 2020 Olympics in Tokyo after a yearlong postponement, it is struggling to contain a fourth wave of the pandemic and preparing to extend a COVID-19 state of emergency that covers much of the country.

Japanese officials, Olympics organizers and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have all vowed the Games will go ahead, albeit under strict virus prevention measures. Foreign spectators have already been banned, and a decision on domestic audiences is expected next month.

But even with these steps in place, worries remain about the influx of athletes and officials into Japan — where the vaccination process remains glacially slow and just over 5% of the population have been inoculated.

With people from over 200 nations and territories set to arrive in Tokyo, it will be dangerous to host the Games in July, said Naoto Ueyama, head of the Japan Doctors Union.

“All of the different mutated strains of the virus that exist in different places will be concentrated and gathering here in Tokyo. We cannot deny the possibility of even a new strain of the virus potentially emerging after the Olympics,” he told a news conference.

“If such a situation were to arise, it could even mean a Tokyo Olympic strain of the virus being named in this way, which would be a huge tragedy and something that would be the target of criticism, even for 100 years.”

Minion1 05-31-21 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 22078399)
Regarding the Olympics: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...okyo-olympics/

First few paragraphs:

Interesting point that the only organisation that can cancel the Olympics is the IOC. (shakes head emoji). Very unlikely that they will call it off, regardless of the situation on the ground in Japan.

Morelock 06-01-21 09:56 AM

Yeah at this point the Olympics is going to happen almost no matter what.

carleton 06-03-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 22083629)
Yeah at this point the Olympics is going to happen almost no matter what.

Yeah. At this point, the health authorities would be remiss if they didn't fulfill their duty to warn...the world.

Maybe this will at least convince some who are on the fence about attending or participating.

Clythio 08-16-21 03:43 PM

Officially cancelled

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press...4T7LDUVSL3u7Ys