Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Did you ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=555896)

BluesDawg 08-15-09 03:44 PM

Planned to get up early and ride 40-50 miles before it got hot. As I was about to head out, FedEx arrived with the replacement satellite DVR receiver for the one that died a few days ago. By the time I got it hooked up it was 11:00 and the heat was getting bad. :(

So I got on the bike and rode the hilliest 50 miles I could find. Now I can't stay awake long enough to watch TV. :rolleyes:

sal 08-15-09 04:21 PM

I rode

I left about 7:40 AM. It was 63F. I rode 53.6 miles. Some hills some flat, wind from the west as the morning wore on. I finished with average 16.8 mph and temperature at 78F. The high went to 87F this afternoon and I'm drinking wine after steak dinner. What a great Saturday.

Road Fan 08-15-09 05:05 PM

Friday 32 miles RT from Ann Arbor to Chelsea, Michigan, 13.8 mph average. Sounds slow, don't it, but it is a PB, at least since I've been noticing!

John Bailey 08-15-09 05:10 PM

My boss and I did 50K as a business meeting. We had a big meeting yesterday and she suggested we debrief as we rode. It work out well, but, because we were talking and doing business the whole way we only averaged 15K. Still, a good day on the job.

John

Road Fan 08-15-09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by John Bailey (Post 9493096)
My boss and I did 50K as a business meeting. We had a big meeting yesterday and she suggested we debrief as we rode. It work out well, but, because we were talking and doing business the whole way we only averaged 15K. Still, a good day on the job.

John

any openings? Sounds perfect!:love:

dguest 08-15-09 05:48 PM

Yes my wife and I rode a ride down here that is known as the bakery ride. It starts in Winston Salem and goes to an Amish Bakery out in the country. ( Well we only live 5 miles from that Bakery) so we drove the truck to Winston at 6 this morning and got on the bikes at 7. The round trip from Winston to the Bakery and back is 62 miles. My wife is so proud of herself for doing the round trip and we did it with a 14.8 MPH average. It is our longest ride to date.

BikeWNC 08-15-09 05:58 PM

75 miles and 5300' of climbing in beautiful Ashe County NC.

cyclinfool 08-15-09 06:15 PM

Rode a 45 mile club ride. Rolling hills. Actually cut it short - the rest of the group rode 67 but since I am doing a hard 75 tomorrow I decided to cut it short - it was cutting hot. Tomorrow we start out at about 8:30 AM in the Adirondacks - 6500' of climbing.

cruzMOKS 08-15-09 06:45 PM

I rode over to see my Mom then on to see my sister then home. 31 miles.

McQz 08-15-09 07:04 PM

We left for Flagstaff at 5:00 so that the bride could participate in the "Climb to Conquer Cancer." I didn't go this year since my knee still doesn't like long walks/hikes yet. I brought my Roubaix and did an hour ride on the bike path along Rt 66 - 20 minutes out and 40 back uphill and into a ferocious headwind! Big chainring all the way out and small one all the way back.
Really good ride! I'm learning to appreciate the hills and headwinds.:thumb:

DnvrFox 08-15-09 07:27 PM

Rode with the wife. Just exactly the right number of miles - otherwise I wouldn't be home. If our average speed had been more or less, I would not be here either. The elevation went up and down just the right amount. I would hate to end the ride lower than I started. Then I would need a ladder to get into the house!

eshvanu 08-15-09 07:28 PM

Rode to meet with some friends before school starts, about 15 minutes away. Then took the usual long-road home for Saturday, about 1 1/2 hours. Bit breezy, especially on one uphill.

Barrettscv 08-15-09 08:06 PM

112 miles today in 6 hours and 40 minutes of saddle time.

The trip started at 10AM in Chicago and wrapped up at 6:45PM. I rode from my home to the Wisconsin border and back. Nice roads, we had a 10-15 mph tailwind heading up and had to push against the same wind coming home. From mile 25 to 55 we held 21+ mph.

My second ride of this route and distance in 3 weeks. I have 427 miles for August so far.

Michael

Bud Bent 08-15-09 08:07 PM

It was an epic 200k brevet for me today, on the Rio Vista Rumble route. For the first time since my lung surgery, I finished a 200k in less than nine hours. Long winded report here.

Red Rider 08-15-09 11:12 PM

Dunnigan Hills Road Race. Spent all week alternatively pyching myself up for it, and psyching myself out of it. Desptie an overwhelming urge to vomit during the first 20 or minutes of the race, I hung on, passed a number of women in my group, and finish strong. I won't know my final placement for a few days, but no matter: I began with the end in mind, and I finished as strong as I had envisioned. I'm very, very happy.

BluesDawg 08-15-09 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Bent (Post 9493923)
It was an epic 200k brevet for me today, on the Rio Vista Rumble route. For the first time since my lung surgery, I finished a 200k in less than nine hours. Long winded report here.

Way to go, Bud. :thumb: Amazing to finish in such good time despite the problems. How's the finger?
You continue to inspire me to make a strong recovery from the disease and the treatments.:giver:

stillcom 08-16-09 07:44 AM

early...early

back from a meandering, easy 25 on my Bad Boy, the day after the Woodward Dream cruise here in southeast michigan. Started with full lights before sunrise, enjoying the quiet and calm before the heat of the day. It's better than therapy....wait....it is therapy.

wrafl 08-16-09 11:10 AM

No ride Saturday 8/15/09 but did work on the bike to oil every moving parts to get rid of all the squeaks. Did 40 miles this morning before it got real hot and humid. It was windy but manageable to ride. The forecast is for afternoon storms so I ended the ride early before noon.

jppe 08-16-09 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Red Rider (Post 9494845)
Dunnigan Hills Road Race. Spent all week alternatively pyching myself up for it, and psyching myself out of it. Desptie an overwhelming urge to vomit during the first 20 or minutes of the race, I hung on, passed a number of women in my group, and finish strong. I won't know my final placement for a few days, but no matter: I began with the end in mind, and I finished as strong as I had envisioned. I'm very, very happy.

Way to go RR!

jppe 08-16-09 11:23 AM

Rode 100 miles with 8000 ft of climbing in the NC mountains Saturday and a short recovery 20 miler today.

cyclehen 08-16-09 11:25 AM

40 miles on the W&OD in Virginia. A lovely morning. Nap after :)

bobthib 08-16-09 12:00 PM

8/15 - 6AM. Woke to the sound of my alarm and rain pounding on the roof. Weather report called for 60% chance of rain. Rather than get up for the 7am club ride, I fell back to sleep. Drempt of riding. Planned on riding the tandem with my son, but he went out late and wants to sleep in.

Woke at 6:45. Peeked out side to clear skys. Jumped into my Hammer Kit, shoved a banana down my throat, packed up and called my buddy to wait for me. Rolled the bike out the front door and.... Holy Shrimp! Flat tire on the front. Barnacles! Grabbed my spare wheel from the garage and off I go. No spoke magnet so no speedo. Arrived at the meeting place at 7:10. Scanning the skys, we opt to head north.

THe small group of 5 soon splits into a B and C. I'm torn between my friends in the C and my need to go faster. About 6 miles in, I sprint ahead and join the B group which has picked up another rider. I hang with them until we get to the end of the loop and I tell them to go on and I wait for the c group (2 people) to emerge. When the don't show, I ask a solo rider if he saw them. "Nope"

I head out on my own and got in 35 miles. The decision to go north was wise. Dark clouds persist to the south. I'm about 8 miles from home, to the south no less, and the winds pick up and the menacing clouds grow darker and appear closer. I opt to pull in at the near by Starbucks, an alternate meeting place for our bike club, and several others. There are about 8 bikes parked under the portico. I call me wife to bring the van and pick me up. It proves to be a wise decision as the downpour commences. The guy I'm sitting with comments "a good day to go home and clean my bike." I concur.

kenkayak 08-16-09 12:43 PM

bluesDawg/now that is single track attitude at its finest:bang:Kenneth

kenkayak 08-16-09 01:08 PM

BudBent there are cycle folks in this group doing some incredible rideing Here in Maine there are riders in small groups smokin down the road./people carrying gear road side camping[Ive chatted with 6 in the past two weeks.Yesterday I came on to a man struggling down the road with an oversized tricycle We chated a bit//He had broken his neck IN A CYCLING accident and would never be any better but he enjoyed struggling down the road with that awful iron trike.///Makes me humble to report my 25 mile dog and trailer ride ///IVE BOUGHT a used bike for the tow bike Ill tell more next time/Kenneth

BikeWNC 08-16-09 01:08 PM

Rode 24 miles with NealH today with 2500' of climbing. Got caught out in a downpour but we waited out the worst of it in the forest. We basically rode down the mountain then back up so we got in a good hour of climbing.