Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   How many bugs do you eat? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=292132)

TheAdmiral 04-27-07 11:57 AM

How many bugs do you eat?

Just curious... The other day I was bombing along and as usual had my mouth open for air intake, when I consume what was probably a pound of Grade A Lean gnats that had been swarming in a cloud. Disgusted, I vowed that I would finish the ride with my mouth shut. As I'm opening my mouth to curse the gnats, I see a butterfly hovering right in my line of travel a (very) short distance ahead. I was like "Nooooooooooooooo!" as it flew right in my mouth! Couldn't dodge the damn thing in time. Since I couldn't cough it up I had to swallow it. Then I realized my water bottle was empty. Lumpy butterfly throat is enough to make you cringe.

Any good stories?

DieselDan 04-27-07 03:03 PM

Ever had a wasp/bee/hornet in your helmet? Thankfully my new helmet has a bug screen in it.

Air 04-27-07 03:27 PM

Had a yellow jacket land on my forehead while riding. Of course my first and widly stupid impulse was to smack it...into my forehead. Which hurt. And I did it again. It's funny what your body does with adrenaline.

It was over 15 years ago but when the weather gets weird I still get a small pain right where that sucker nailed me.

TheAdmiral 04-27-07 03:39 PM

That's my worst nightmare, bees/hornets/yellowjackets in the helmet. I'll stick to the gnats, thanks.

(51) 04-27-07 03:40 PM

I had a flying bug (unknown variety) hit me in the neck today. Damn thing left a lump!

Last year I had something hit me in the eye. I nearly crashed from the pain and blindness.

Tom Stormcrowe 04-27-07 05:24 PM

I rode through a swarm of mayflies on a downhill last weekend and had enough bug splat on me that I looked like a car that needed a carwash badly. I actually had to run my glasses through the dishwasher to get the bug splat off of them!

TheAdmiral 04-27-07 11:50 PM

I'm not sure which makes me laugh more, the thought of so many bugs you couldn't chisel them off or putting your glasses in the dishwasher.:lol: Nothing wrong with that, just not a solution I would've thought of!

Kid-Cycle 04-27-07 11:59 PM

I've had one bee sting in the crotch which nearly made me crash and I have had a number of bugs get into my eyes. Not sure how the bugs in the eyes happens while wearing sun glasses but they sure feel much larger than they actually are.

I've been riding after work recently and have had dealt with gnats. Somehow they seem to get in the back of my throat and the only way to deal with them is to wash em down. I have also tried to ride with my mouth closed but that just doesn't seem to work for me.

Have you ever noticed how many gnats you have stuck in your leg hair when you get home? My kids notice!!!!

(51) 04-28-07 04:12 AM

I actually had a moth go up my nose once. I snorted him in and coughed him out of my mouth in a loogey. Good fun!

TheAdmiral 04-28-07 09:11 PM

hahahahahaha! No good, on both stories!

v1k1ng1001 04-29-07 11:49 PM

I usually get a bug in the mouth every 15 miles or so. I usually just spit them out. But every so often I get one that releases a noxious chemical that tastes like sh1t. Not good.

My other pet peeve is that little bug that gets on the inside of your glasses and crawls around.

Tom Stormcrowe 04-30-07 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
I usually get a bug in the mouth every 15 miles or so. I usually just spit them out. But every so often I get one that releases a noxious chemical that tastes like sh1t. Not good.

My other pet peeve is that little bug that gets on the inside of your glasses and crawls around.

That's not a noxious chemical that tasted like Sh1t, the bug took one on your tongue!:eek:

CliftonGK1 04-30-07 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by (51)
I actually had a moth go up my nose once. I snorted him in and coughed him out of my mouth in a loogey. Good fun!

:roflmao:

Last summer I caught a hornet in my helmet and ended up with a sting welt on my head that made it difficult to wear my helmet for the next week. Hurt like all get out. I'm making a no-see-um netting helmet cover for this summer.
I got a crane fly in my mouth last week. I can't understand why my puppy likes to chomp on them; they taste horrible.

Alasdair 05-04-07 02:51 PM

I've heard it said that June Bugs crawl around in your stomach for several minutes after swallowing them... yech. :eek:

(51) 05-04-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alasdair
I've heard it said that June Bugs crawl around in your stomach for several minutes after swallowing them... yech. :eek:

Oh, God, if I ever ate one of those things I think I'd puke for days. How can something that big even get in your mouth in the first place?http://www.myspacedev.com/img/smilies/sick/sick0022.gif

bravozulu 05-06-07 12:02 PM

Do you have a source for low-calorie or low-fat bugs?

Wino Ryder 05-06-07 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheAdmiral
I was like "Nooooooooooooooo!" as it flew right in my mouth! Couldn't dodge the damn thing in time. Since I couldn't cough it up I had to swallow it. Then I realized my water bottle was empty. Lumpy butterfly throat is enough to make you cringe.

Any good stories?

Man thats funny. You should patent a new line of gatorade, called Gatorade 'Hard Core', in all your favorite flavors, like 'Butterfly Yellow', 'Gnat Green', etc. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

kaw 04-08-22 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by (51) (Post 4331113)

You are quoted in an academic article and in a text book. Maybe you know this already, but if not, check out:

Goldberg, Adele E. “Corpus Evidence of the Viability of Statistical Preemption.” In Cognitive Linguistics: The Quantitative Turn, edited by Laura A. Janda. Berlin, Boston: DE GRUYTER, 2013.

and

Janda, Laura A. Cognitive Linguistics - the Quantitative Turn: The Essential Reader. Berlin/Boston, GERMANY: De Gruyter, Inc., 2013. (Page 58)

257 roberts 04-08-22 09:25 AM

I have eaten a few bugs and snorted a few.

grizzly59 04-08-22 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kid-Cycle (Post 4330745)
I've had one bee sting in the crotch which nearly made me crash

That be hardcore right there

Route 66 04-08-22 09:56 AM

On a more positive note, think of all the free protein we're ingesting. :)

rumrunn6 04-08-22 11:12 AM

ancient thread alert

boozergut 08-04-22 07:41 AM

I notice that when I wear a yellow jersey in the summer the bug strikes I receive are much more frequent....

m.c. 08-04-22 11:25 AM

In the evenings next to some oak and cypress trees along the river there are swarms of little bugs that will get in your eyes and nose. You can see them in advance and keep your mouth closed. There are some other trees where deer flies will dive bomb your head.

The only wasp I've been close to lately was the one crawling up my leg while I was using my computer. I felt like bugs were crawling on me for weeks after that.

rumrunn6 08-05-22 03:42 PM

BPM = bugs per mile