Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   You know you are old when... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244351)

TiHabanero 12-29-21 07:33 AM

You know you are old when...

You know you are old when your wife only shops the grocery store on senior discount Wednesdays. She still makes me smile!

andrewclaus 12-29-21 08:40 AM

...and she never buys green bananas?

Carbonfiberboy 12-29-21 09:59 AM

We don't have that here. MY WIFE volunteers at our food coop and gets a volunteer discount. To make life easier, she shops once every 2 weeks. She buys yellow bananas, but just barely. Organic of course.

freeranger 12-29-21 12:32 PM

When your bicycle(s) are older than the person waiting on you in the store.

rumrunn6 12-29-21 12:44 PM

mine has always been "frugal" but we'll have to look into senior discount Wednesdays. never heard of it

TiHabanero 12-29-21 08:01 PM

"mine has always been "frugal" but we'll have to look into senior discount Wednesdays. never heard of it"

We are fortunate enough to have a "local grocer" where everyone literally knows your name and conversations are had at the checkout, over the meat counter, and in the produce aisle. Wednesdays for seniors is quite a hoot as the local old folks home brings in a bus full of gray hairs and a senior aisle party is had by all. A very nice place to purchase grocery items.
The man that owned it for about 40 years had to retire and his children had no interest in taking over, so he sold it to a very large grocery corp. We customers talked to the former owner before he sold (yes, he let all us customers know of the pending sale) to make sure the corp keep the culture of the store. For the most part, they did. I suppose someone at HQ realized the goldmine the store is and decided not to screw up a good thing. We customers also talked directly with the corporate suits that visited the store during the purchasing process and told them "Don't screw this up!"

Lazyass 12-30-21 02:31 AM

When your grandchild sees a land line telephone and asks what it is. That happened yesterday. And when someone calls a bike made in 2008 "vintage". Read that on a sale ad.

Dolanarc1 12-30-21 10:36 AM

When your speaking with a group of young track cyclists who have never even heard of a Velodrome larger than 250m and heaven forbid "outdoor"

tkamd73 12-30-21 10:42 AM

When your 23 year old daughter says “ dad, I think your old enough to buy a new corvette now”.
Tim

WGB 12-30-21 10:56 AM

When you stop to fix a flat and young women in the twenties stop "incase you need help" and "so you don't get hurt":eek::mad:

CAT7RDR 12-30-21 11:03 AM

I know I'm getting old when I am considering printing a checklist to keep next to my bikes.

Let's see. In recent weeks I've forgotten my bottles, pump, snacks, gloves and most recently my helmet.
I cannot make this stuff up.

rumrunn6 12-30-21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 22355431)
"mine has always been "frugal" but we'll have to look into senior discount Wednesdays. never heard of it"

We are fortunate enough to have a "local grocer" where everyone literally knows your name and conversations are had at the checkout, over the meat counter, and in the produce aisle. Wednesdays for seniors is quite a hoot as the local old folks home brings in a bus full of gray hairs and a senior aisle party is had by all. A very nice place to purchase grocery items.
The man that owned it for about 40 years had to retire and his children had no interest in taking over, so he sold it to a very large grocery corp. We customers talked to the former owner before he sold (yes, he let all us customers know of the pending sale) to make sure the corp keep the culture of the store. For the most part, they did. I suppose someone at HQ realized the goldmine the store is and decided not to screw up a good thing. We customers also talked directly with the corporate suits that visited the store during the purchasing process and told them "Don't screw this up!"

heartwarming story :thumb:

gobicycling 12-30-21 12:30 PM

And when people start calling you "young man," "Dearie," and "sweetie."

John E 12-30-21 04:35 PM

That happens frequently to me, because my bicycles range in age from 33 to 62 years.

rsbob 12-30-21 09:30 PM

I know I am old when talking to 30 and 40 year olds and instead of calling me dude, they call me sir.

Joe Bikerider 12-30-21 10:28 PM

I do realize when I’ve forgotten my helmet. The air feels different around my ears. I always turn around and get it.

downtube42 12-30-21 10:34 PM

... you can't get out of a chair without grunting, no matter how hard you try.

Jtmav 12-31-21 05:45 AM

As I age I think of the line “ Happiness is good health and a bad memory” seems, as of today, I am enjoying both.

Carbonfiberboy 12-31-21 10:13 AM

Or when you are told about it directly, as at our gym when a young woman told my wife and I, "You are the strongest ooooold people I've ever seen." Really drawing out that oooold. Yeah I guess we're old. Evidently look old, too. Almost everyone there is bigger than we are.

And maybe really old. because we're been using a printed "Day Ride" list for a couple decades. If we don't go down it just before we leave, we forget something for sure.

I also hate the "Sir". I tell them, "Don't call me Sir!" Creeps me out.

obrentharris 12-31-21 10:42 AM

...when, one by one, all your old mountain biking buddies are buying ebikes.
Brent

joesch 12-31-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22355938)
I know I'm getting old when I am considering printing a checklist to keep next to my bikes.

Let's see. In recent weeks I've forgotten my bottles, pump, snacks, gloves and most recently my helmet.
I cannot make this stuff up.

Same here and I usually notice my helmet after about 1 minute.
Also got to remember to use the right spare tube depending on the ride choice.

BkSaGo 12-31-21 12:33 PM

… when you hurt yourself while sleeping!

TiHabanero 12-31-21 05:32 PM

"I know I am old when talking to 30 and 40 year olds and instead of calling me dude, they call me sir."

This!!! Shocks me every time!

elcraft 12-31-21 11:56 PM

When you find yourself turning down the radio in the car so you can see better…….

rumrunn6 01-01-22 07:35 AM

you know you're hammered, when you pour champagne into your Chinese rice bowl. sorry, didn't know where to put that

have a nice day