Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-23-20 06:45 AM

Feeling fine, but continued terrible HRV numbers this morning. Went for a sticky walk among the houses of the rich.

BillyD 07-23-20 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21602238)
Apart from inventory management, I was on wheel duty today. All I have to say, is that I dislike aluminum spoke nipples.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b2623423e.jpg

Meh, a little buffing and the customer won't even notice.

WhyFi 07-23-20 06:51 AM

LPLO. :notamused:

Oh, when I got home from my ride yesterday, there were several cucumbers on the kitchen counter. More on the way, too. I think that I'm going to try to make some hot pickles with a couple of 'em and some of the Thai chilis. :love:

Velo Vol 07-23-20 06:53 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21602770)
Went for a sticky walk among the houses of the rich.

You can dress it up but it still doesn't count.

MoAlpha 07-23-20 06:56 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21602778)
You can dress it up but it still doesn't count.

Sadly true.

MoAlpha 07-23-20 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21602602)
Thank you. Still ticking. Thinking back, I think I've seen 188, but that was many years ago. 186 was just surprising to me.

Great you can still do it!

LAJ 07-23-20 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21602731)

His boss is wearing one. I'm sure he's just waiting on the uniform company to deliver one.

WhyFi 07-23-20 07:50 AM

Oooohhh - new Cervelo, the Caledonia 5 -

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aea6bd509d.jpg

Dropped stays, hidden cables/wires/brake lines, comes stock with 30mm tires and looks like it could take larger. They're saying that the geo is a little more stable than the R3, but still racy/responsive. I like it.

abshipp 07-23-20 08:02 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602860)
Oooohhh - new Cervelo, the Caledonia 5 -

Dropped stays, hidden cables/wires/brake lines, comes stock with 30mm tires and looks like it could take larger. They're saying that the geo is a little more stable than the R3, but still racy/responsive. I like it.

"For your big, stupid rides" :lol:

That's really sweet, an aero bike that's advertised as able to take fenders? I wonder what the mounting method is, if there are hidden mounts on the inside of the frame or what. That would be incredible to be able to run real full coverage metal fenders, and if it looks like there's enough clearance in the front with the 30mm tires that you could maybe fit 28mm under them.

seedsbelize 07-23-20 08:03 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21602731)

You've put on some weight

Bah Humbug 07-23-20 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602860)
Oooohhh - new Cervelo, the Caledonia 5 -

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aea6bd509d.jpg

Dropped stays, hidden cables/wires/brake lines, comes stock with 30mm tires and looks like it could take larger. They're saying that the geo is a little more stable than the R3, but still racy/responsive. I like it.

The stack/ reach is still taller than Id like. The red one looks awesome though, but the pricing is also painful. I suppose its not exactly out of line, but man.

seedsbelize 07-23-20 08:10 AM

A chilly 81A. Leaving for my ride in no hurry. This is November weather. A planned 22 km, which could be extended if I feel up to it. Lots of work to do on the home front; thus the short, quick ride. Just to loosen things up and get the blood flowing.

WhyFi 07-23-20 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21602896)
The stack/ reach is still taller than Id like. The red one looks awesome though, but the pricing is also painful. I suppose its not exactly out of line, but man.

In a 56, it's only 8mm taller than an R5 (580 vs 572) - that doesn't seem bad to me, 'specially positioned as a Classics bike. And yeah, dat pricing. Even the frameset is hurty.

phrantic09 07-23-20 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602906)
In a 56, it's only 8mm taller than an R5 (580 vs 572) - that doesn't seem bad to me, 'specially positioned as a Classics bike. And yeah, dat pricing. Even the frameset is hurty.

5k for a bike with Ultegra mechanical and crappy wheels is a bit steep.

Bah Humbug 07-23-20 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602906)
In a 56, it's only 8mm taller than an R5 (580 vs 572) - that doesn't seem bad to me, 'specially positioned as a Classics bike. And yeah, dat pricing. Even the frameset is hurty.

Even the R5 is only not bad compared to my S1. In 56, that was 560/ 394. These days its almost impossible to find anything like that.

WhyFi 07-23-20 08:20 AM

Another thread reminded me of the temptation to MUP race this morning - it truly was a test. Some guy on a Motobecane with aero bars and a flappy jersey made a show of passing me while I was noodling along in z1. Well, I think that he tried to give me the look, but maybe I'm projecting. In any event, if ever there was a prime candidate for a MUP soul-crushing, this was he. But I resisted and rode my ride.

WhyFi 07-23-20 08:22 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21602917)
5k for a bike with Ultegra mechanical and crappy wheels is a bit steep.

Well, if you look at it as a $4300 frameset with Ultegra and training wheels for $700, it's not so bad, right? :innocent:

;)

WhyFi 07-23-20 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21602918)
Even the R5 is only not bad compared to my S1. In 56, that was 560/ 394. These days its almost impossible to find anything like that.

What's a cm between friends?

big john 07-23-20 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21602896)
The stack/ reach is still taller than Id like. The red one looks awesome though, but the pricing is also painful. I suppose its not exactly out of line, but man.

I think the geometry agrees with me. $3500 for Ultegra doesn't seem too bad. If I had a job I could do that. Maybe you guys could start a go fund me so I can get one?

abshipp 07-23-20 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21602896)
The red one looks awesome though, but the pricing is also painful. I suppose its not exactly out of line, but man.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602906)
dat pricing.

Oh. Didn't even look at that :twitchy:

Also looks like it doesn't have fully hidden cabling with the mechanical Ultegra complete.

big john 07-23-20 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21602917)
5k for a bike with Ultegra mechanical and crappy wheels is a bit steep.

$5k? I saw "from $3500us"

phrantic09 07-23-20 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21602926)
Well, if you look at it as a $4300 frameset with Ultegra and training wheels for $700, it's not so bad, right? :innocent:

;)

Im going to try that on my wife.

phrantic09 07-23-20 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21602935)
$5k? I saw "from $3500us"

Thats just the stem and handlebars

big john 07-23-20 08:30 AM

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...l2YWxzOjE6MTo=

WhyFi 07-23-20 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21602935)
$5k? I saw "from $3500us"

There's the Caledonia and the Caledonia 5. The 5 has the internal routing and starts at $4300 for the frameset; wouldn't be surprised if it also had slightly better crabon a la the R3 vs R5.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.