Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

woodcraft 03-17-21 11:13 AM

I run 23/25mm F/R Sprinters at 70/75.

squirtdad 03-17-21 01:03 PM

I am running 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls at 100R/95F I am 250. works well (miyata Team 85, Mavic rim don't remember which one at the moment

I am running 25 mm challenge elite at 130. this is on a 84 Team miyata. the rims are mavic gel330 which are on the light side for my weight. this is the best ride of any bike I have had.

I do think people don't factor in the the impact of the rim and wheel build on overall ride

Chubby715 03-17-21 01:34 PM


Originally Posted by Vince Hoffmann (Post 21956760)
I got a puncture in my Gatorskin tubular yesterday, it was a bear peeling it off but using tire levers helped immensely. I put on my spare Vittoria and managed to pump it up to 90 pounds and got to a local bike shop and gave it extra pressure to 140 and it happily took me the 25 miles back home!

After 5 years, that was my first puncture and having to change my tire on the road. It wasn't too bad. I can't say clinchers are any easier because you still have to pry the bead out of the rim and some tires can really be hard to get off. I think the hardest part is getting the tire up to pressure as my pump could only go up to 90 before my arms gave out!

I've heard that you can accidently roll the tire off the rim going around corners, but I had no trouble with the spare for the rest of the day.

I blew out both of my Gatorskins (rear and front) within 2 weeks last Sept. They were glued on very well and were a b***ch to peel off, so it took awhile to remove. I always carry a pre-stretched Sprinter as a spare, so pump it up as best I can and then take extra care on the corners until I get home where I can do a proper glue job in my garage. I also added a razor blade to my saddle bag in case I ever need to cut the flat off my rim for faster removal.

Classtime 03-17-21 06:45 PM

At 155 lbs., I'm back to 100-110 on my 23mm Tubulars (and 110 clinchers). I just patched a 23 Corsa G that I pinch flatted at 90. But I am often careless on my regular routes and hit stuff. I will add that Corsas are a joy to patch while Rallys are no fun.

CV-6 03-17-21 10:32 PM

A tip that applies to the use of tape and glue. Leave the space between two spokes directly opposite the valve free of tape/glue. It gives you a starting point for removal. Also consider having tire iron for leverage.

gaucho777 03-18-21 12:11 AM

More data points from tires I'm currently using, (adding that I've fattened up by about 20-lbs. to around 220-lbs. over this long covid-hibernation). I'll take off another few psi if the roads are wet. F/R pressure:
22mm.Continental Sprinter 100/105
23mm Vittoria Corsa 100/105
25mm Vittoria Corsa G+ 95/100
27mm Challenge P-R 90/95
28mm Veloflex Vlaanderen 90/95
32mm Dugast Pipistrella 55/60
34mm Tufo Flexus Dry 55/60

AJI125 03-18-21 06:05 AM

EDIT - Already out of stock...
PSA: Vlaanderen back in stock at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...re-102404.html

CV-6 03-18-21 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by AJI125 (Post 21972998)
PSA: Vlaanderen back in stock at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...re-102404.html

As of 0900 CDT, not any more.

gaucho777 03-19-21 02:39 AM

I just wrote to Veloflex. I told them how much I love their Vlaanderen model tubular tire, and asked them to consider reissuing it. I encourage others to do so: https://www.veloflex.it/en/contacts

EDIT/UPDATE: I got a super rapid response from Veloflex just a few hours after my initial contact. I've copied their response below. Does anyone have any experience with their ProTour Gum model to share?
https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubular-t...r-gum-sidewall
--
Thank you for contacting us and support our brand!
We’ve upgraded all our tires range, did you already have the opportunity to try the new ProTour 28mm gum? It’s the newer version of Vlaanderen and offers even better characteristics.
We wish you a good day!
Best regards,
Veloflex Team.

woodcraft 03-20-21 03:50 PM

Tubular forensics:

For those who haven't dug this deep, this shows common demise of older tires, especially CX ones that have had sealant added.

the latex has rotted at the valve from sealant, pump oil, or other contaminants. There is a 3" long glob of hardened sealant about 3/8" thick. This was a Grifo on older race wheels- it held air 6 or 10 months ago.


Additionally, I'm patching another tire & the puncture happens to be an inch away from a previous puncture repair done several years ago. The base tape was re-glued with Mastik,

& pulling off the re-glued section and the originally glued section felt the same, so I conclude that Mastik rim cement is fine for re-gluing base tape.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...590ed62588.jpg

obrentharris 03-20-21 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21976784)
Tubular forensics:

The base tape was re-glued with Mastik,

& pulling off the re-glued section and the originally glued section felt the same, so I conclude that Mastik rim cement is fine for re-gluing base tape.

Good to know. Thanks!

How old was the failed Grifo. No race season this year so I assume at least a year and a half old. I'm hoping considerably older since I have 3-year -old tires on my 'cross bike.
Brent

gkamieneski 03-20-21 05:36 PM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21976784)
Tubular forensics:

For those who haven't dug this deep, this shows common demise of older tires, especially CX ones that have had sealant added.

the latex has rotted at the valve from sealant, pump oil, or other contaminants. There is a 3" long glob of hardened sealant about 3/8" thick. This was a Grifo on older race wheels- it held air 6 or 10 months ago.


Additionally, I'm patching another tire & the puncture happens to be an inch away from a previous puncture repair done several years ago. The base tape was re-glued with Mastik,

& pulling off the re-glued section and the originally glued section felt the same, so I conclude that Mastik rim cement is fine for re-gluing base tape.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...590ed62588.jpg

What's your conclusion about the sealant? Which were you using and how fresh was it? Would you continue to go with sealant after seeing this?

woodcraft 03-20-21 06:10 PM


Originally Posted by obrentharris (Post 21976878)
Good to know. Thanks!

How old was the failed Grifo. No race season this year so I assume at least a year and a half old. I'm hoping considerably older since I have 3-year -old tires on my 'cross bike.
Brent


Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 21976885)
What's your conclusion about the sealant? Which were you using and how fresh was it? Would you continue to go with sealant after seeing this?


The tires were pretty old- I bought the wheels used I think 4 years ago with the tires on, & have used them occasionally. Prepping them to re-glue.

Don't know what sealant but I've seen the same globs in other tires so whatever they were using years ago. I've used Tufo sealant, which performed poorly,

and Stan's, which is OK, also Pitstop once. I've concluded that using it prophylactically is not the best idea, and have gotten away from using at all, but I get few flats- might be different in a more thorny area.

Butyl tubes make it less sensitive but my experience has been that road tires seal sort of but not really dependably so why bother. Lower pressure tire have a better shot at working.

I ride on the road mostly on Sprinters, which are remarkably durable IME, & worth the trade-off of being a bit less supple.

gkamieneski 03-22-21 08:36 AM

My plan is to use Continental Revo Sealant with some new Sprinters. From your experience, can the sealant be refreshed in tubs or do they render the tire useless after say a year? Just wondering if using preventively runs you through sewups before their tread is even gone.

woodcraft 03-22-21 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 21978901)
My plan is to use Continental Revo Sealant with some new Sprinters. From your experience, can the sealant be refreshed in tubs or do they render the tire useless after say a year? Just wondering if using preventively runs you through sewups before their tread is even gone.


Adding more sealant may eventually make globs inside the tire, but NBD. Most of the issues that I've noted have been on older tires w/ latex tubes that have sat around for periods of time.

Your plan sounds fine- let us know how it goes.

gkamieneski 03-22-21 11:51 AM

Yes. The Sprinters (actually using regular and Gatorskin) I know use butyl tubes. Because I will be using other wheelsets I worry that the sealant will glob up or dry out when I don't use them enough. I will spin them quite often.

One reason I am going to try the Continental Revo is that I am hoping Conti tried it with their tires, may have some insight, and if a problem develops, maybe they will address it. Could be wishful thinking though.

smontanaro 03-22-21 12:19 PM

The only issue I've encountered with sealant in tubulars is that the valve core can get gummed up. I've seen this with Stan's and Orange Seal Endurance. If that becomes a significant issue, just remove and clean. If the tube becomes unusable and the tire is worth it, either replace it or pay to have it replaced.

hazetguy 03-23-21 08:31 AM


Originally Posted by AJI125 (Post 21972998)
EDIT - Already out of stock...
PSA: Vlaanderen back in stock at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/v...re-102404.html


Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21973163)
As of 0900 CDT, not any more.

Thanks for this PSA! It was time for me to order some tires for the spring/summer. I regretted selling the last pair of Vlaanderen I had, and finding them now is difficult/impossible and/or expensive. The day before you posted this, I missed a lot of 3 on eBay (for a good price), so I loaded up my Merlin cart with other Veloflex tires, as well as putting an order in my cart on the Veloflex site. I just couldn't pull the trigger on any of them at the end of the day, so I went to bed to 'sleep on it'. I woke up and saw the psa post, rushed to the computer, and immediately ordered 4. I went back to see if I could order more (for some reason the maximum number of tires you can order at one time is 4?), and they were already marked "Out of stock". They must have had a very limited number available. They arrived last night. Thanks again!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bcb707cc46.jpg

pastorbobnlnh 03-23-21 09:34 AM

hazetguy that is one beautiful sight to behold! :D Congratulations on a successful cost-effective purchase!

DiabloScott 03-23-21 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21980751)

Those are some fine looking tires, classic style and file treads... I see why you like them!

Classtime 03-23-21 11:16 AM

Those look great. I've got 3 of the 25mm Roubaix waiting in the cupboard.

xiaoman1 03-26-21 10:40 AM

Hi, I need a little help on the sizing of tubulars, I see some marked as 28, which I thought were larger by a 1/2 ", I thought tubulars only came in 700c....am I correct that they will fit on 700c or were there ever 27' in tubulars?
Thanks for the information.
Best, Ben

DiabloScott 03-26-21 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by xiaoman1 (Post 21986127)
Hi, I need a little help on the sizing of tubulars, I see some marked as 28, which I thought were larger by a 1/2 ", I thought tubulars only came in 700c....am I correct that they will fit on 700c or were there ever 27' in tubulars?
Thanks for the information.
Best, Ben

Yeah, 28" is just a semi-obsolete way of referring to normal (700c) tubulars.
There were some smaller sizes for like junior racing bikes or front wheels of time trial bikes, but those would be obvious.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9add58dff.jpeg

xiaoman1 03-26-21 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21986144)
Yeah, 28" is just a semi-obsolete way of referring to normal (700c) tubulars.
There were some smaller sizes for like junior racing bikes or front wheels of time trial bikes, but those would be obvious.

DiabloScott,
That's what I thought, but I wanted to ask the experts in order to be certain.
Thanks, Ben

jimmuller 03-27-21 12:06 PM

Love tubulars. Now that I have started riding again I will have to order some more bottles of flat-b-gone fluid, a.k.a. Stan's Tire Seal.

AJI125 03-28-21 10:27 AM

Vittoria Pave sale
 
Not sure what these normally go for but seems like a pretty good sale.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...eid=4ee53ad72a




Wildwood 03-28-21 10:39 AM

check Merlin for that same tire. ~$45

squirtdad 03-29-21 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 21987585)
Love tubulars. Now that I have started riding again I will have to order some more bottles of flat-b-gone fluid, a.k.a. Stan's Tire Seal.

FWIW I really like the caffelatex product....

scozim 04-01-21 10:15 PM

I'm typically on Sprinter or Sprinter Gatorskins on our chip seal roads. Noticed a 2 pack sale at Excel Sports last week at a decent price so I ordered a couple of 25's. I have always ridden the Sprinter 22's so I'm curious to see the difference in ride.

waters60 04-02-21 04:43 AM


Originally Posted by gaucho777 (Post 21974614)
I just wrote to Veloflex. I told them how much I love their Vlaanderen model tubular tire, and asked them to consider reissuing it. I encourage others to do so: https://www.veloflex.it/en/contacts

EDIT/UPDATE: I got a super rapid response from Veloflex just a few hours after my initial contact. I've copied their response below. Does anyone have any experience with their ProTour Gum model to share?
https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubular-t...r-gum-sidewall
--
Thank you for contacting us and support our brand!
Weve upgraded all our tires range, did you already have the opportunity to try the new ProTour 28mm gum? Its the newer version of Vlaanderen and offers even better characteristics.
We wish you a good day!
Best regards,
Veloflex Team.

Glad I got my replacements already. After years of budget Vittoria Rally tubulars, which are looked down upon but ride very nicely I wanted an upgrade. My front Vlaanderen will be 2 years old in June with almost 8000 miles! Orange Seal is at least partially credited for this longevity. Paired with Campy Bora One rims it is a nice setup. Gotta love discs; no worries about squeaky rims!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.