Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

adventurepdx 01-28-17 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by kmt (Post 19340756)
Where's a good place to look for a vintage rack for my raleigh?

I know these aren't "vintage", but I've used both on my three speeds.

On my current Raleigh Superbe, I use the Pletscher "Clem" rack that Rivendell sells. It's got that classic "rat trap" that Pletschers have:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/pletscher-clem-rack
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1471032177

Something a bit more basic and cheaper is the aftermarket rack Linus sells. I had it on my Raleigh Wayfarer:
LINUS ADJUSTABLE REAR RACK - Linus Bike
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/004...g?v=1483682803

I liked both because they make using modern panniers A LOT easier. I've had vintage racks on the Wayfarer, but I always had to kludge it a bit to make panniers work.

kmt 01-28-17 07:12 PM

http://www.bikeforums.net/picture.ph...ctureid=528389

DQRider 01-28-17 10:43 PM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19342887)
I know these aren't "vintage", but I've used both on my three speeds.

On my current Raleigh Superbe, I use the Pletscher "Clem" rack that Rivendell sells. It's got that classic "rat trap" that Pletschers have:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/pletscher-clem-rack
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1471032177

Something a bit more basic and cheaper is the aftermarket rack Linus sells. I had it on my Raleigh Wayfarer:
LINUS ADJUSTABLE REAR RACK - Linus Bike
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/004...g?v=1483682803

I liked both because they make using modern panniers A LOT easier. I've had vintage racks on the Wayfarer, but I always had to kludge it a bit to make panniers work.

The Linus rack looks nice; simple and elegant, but I've used the Soma Deco rear rack on a couple of my bikes now and I like it a lot. It is alloy tubing and quite light, yet strong and of very good quality. The last one I ordered cost about forty bucks. They come in matte silver or black: http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/deco-rack
https://www.universalcycles.com/imag...dium/55113.jpghttp://www.somafab.com/wp-content/up...deco_black.jpg

RobHalligan 01-29-17 08:56 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 19335275)
I just bought a Sears Silvertone Guitar made by Harmony..1962 Silvertone 1446.
Not a vintage bike, but still cool.

Interesting to see there's someone else in this world that has both a Silvertone with a Bigsby and British Bikes...

BigChief 01-29-17 10:28 PM


Originally Posted by RobHalligan (Post 19344995)
Interesting to see there's someone else in this world that has both a Silvertone with a Bigsby and British Bikes...

Make that 3. Mine's a Danno U-1 Silvertone:love: No whammy on that one though.
I'll bet there's a bunch of old guitar lovers here in this 3 speed club.

desconhecido 01-29-17 10:44 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19345190)
Make that 3. Mine's a Danno U-1 Silvertone:love: No whammy on that one though.
I'll bet there's a bunch of old guitar lovers here in this 3 speed club.

I'm old and I love guitars though most of my guitars are not that old. The oldest is a 1972 Martin 0018 -- not much of a valuable guitar. Most of the others, I've bought new -- 1991 00028, 93 Taylor 612C, etc. I like small body acoustics like OM/000 size or a bit smaller like the 00. Only have one D and no electrics. Guess I'm basically an analog sort of guy.

Stadjer 01-30-17 03:23 AM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19342887)
I know these aren't "vintage", but I've used both on my three speeds.

On my current Raleigh Superbe, I use the Pletscher "Clem" rack that Rivendell sells. It's got that classic "rat trap" that Pletschers have:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/pletscher-clem-rack
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1471032177

Something a bit more basic and cheaper is the aftermarket rack Linus sells. I had it on my Raleigh Wayfarer:
LINUS ADJUSTABLE REAR RACK - Linus Bike
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/004...g?v=1483682803

I liked both because they make using modern panniers A LOT easier. I've had vintage racks on the Wayfarer, but I always had to kludge it a bit to make panniers work.

Am I the only one that is bothered by 'modern chrome' or what they call a silver colour? I bought this one for my 70's bike, and it's a model that was very common in the 70's and with a little tweak it stays clear of the brake rods.
http://www.steco.nl/media/images/Pro...W%20chroom.jpg

BBut the colour just doesn't match the handlebar, the rims, the rods and the chrome strip on the chain case. It is much greyer and is has a purple glow to it. I keep it on because I use it a lot, and I'm really not very precise when it comes to originality, but this just doesn't look right. The next time I see someone with a rusty rack in the original colour I going to propose a swap.

bazil4696 01-30-17 11:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I snagged a couple Raleighs last week, locally off Kijiji. Both branded "supercycle" sold by a chain of retailers called Canadian Tire here in Canada. both are small 19" frames, but both wearing pretty gold paint and chrome fenders.
A 71 and a 74 coded off the SA hubs. One has an interesting crank that i dont often see on Raleighs

thumpism 01-30-17 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stopped by my local shop this morning on an errand and spotted a pretty little Phillips on the floor, no price tag and no repair tag so it must be a "house" machine. Turns out it was given to them a few years ago in a very neglected state and dust covered but complete and original. SA hub date is 55 and it has some nice touches; oil ports on hubs and BB, 32F/40R wheels, thimble fork, color-matched rack, chrome fenders with nice embossed badge inset in the rear fender. A nice thing.

Attachment 551008

Attachment 551009

gster 01-30-17 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19345201)
I'm old and I love guitars though most of my guitars are not that old. The oldest is a 1972 Martin 0018 -- not much of a valuable guitar. Most of the others, I've bought new -- 1991 00028, 93 Taylor 612C, etc. I like small body acoustics like OM/000 size or a bit smaller like the 00. Only have one D and no electrics. Guess I'm basically an analog sort of guy.

Spring, Summer and Fall I like British 3 speeds...During the winter months I like vintage guitars...
1967 Kent

browngw 01-30-17 10:09 PM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19345958)
I snagged a couple Raleighs last week, locally off Kijiji. Both branded "supercycle" sold by a chain of retailers called Canadian Tire here in Canada. both are small 19" frames, but both wearing pretty gold paint and chrome fenders.
A 71 and a 74 coded off the SA hubs. One has an interesting crank that i dont often see on Raleighs


The one with three spiders is just like a 74 Record I'm working on. The other is identical to my 71 Robin Hood, another Raleigh brand. Nice find. I have two Supercycles, both made in Japan by Bridgestone.

gster 01-31-17 05:51 AM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19345958)
I snagged a couple Raleighs last week, locally off Kijiji. Both branded "supercycle" sold by a chain of retailers called Canadian Tire here in Canada. both are small 19" frames, but both wearing pretty gold paint and chrome fenders.
A 71 and a 74 coded off the SA hubs. One has an interesting crank that i dont often see on Raleighs

I like the gold colour.

bazil4696 01-31-17 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 19347793)
I like the gold colour.

ill be trying to flip these girls at the Canadian vintage bicycle show in Brantford Feb 19 2017
100 market st south, brantford

frameteam2003 01-31-17 12:58 PM

Phillis built Ranger
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...psq3q5nj2t.jpg
nuttin to see on the bike but this cool badge

kmt 02-02-17 09:10 AM

I installed my new racks on my Raleigh Sports last night. There are no markings on the racks. Anyone have any idea as to the manufacturer?
http://www.bikeforums.net/picture.ph...ctureid=528432

http://www.bikeforums.net/album.php?...ctureid=528431

bazil4696 02-02-17 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19347563)
The one with three spiders is just like a 74 Record I'm working on. The other is identical to my 71 Robin Hood, another Raleigh brand. Nice find. I have two Supercycles, both made in Japan by Bridgestone.

Will you be attending the brantford show next month?

browngw 02-02-17 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19352297)
Will you be attending the brantford show next month?

I hope to but we are planning a warmer weather getaway to Florida the next day. (Pinellas trail) I will save my bikes and vending for the June CVBS I think. Someone suggested that us BF persons should wear a BF nametag. I heard from a few last year after they commented on my Sun Cresta and I didn't know their BF monikers so I missed meeting them. I've attached a shot of my SuperCycle Excalibur, the most expensive CTC bike in '76 at $199!

bazil4696 02-02-17 12:00 PM

WOW that's a time capsule
I've never seen one before

markk900 02-03-17 04:07 PM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19352693)
WOW that's a time capsule
I've never seen one before

We should start a supercycle thread - I have a Motobecane based 10 speed supercycle Tour de France from around 1974. Nice rider but definitely not too if the line.

billnuke1 02-03-17 04:19 PM

Bought?
 

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19345975)
Stopped by my local shop this morning on an errand and spotted a pretty little Phillips on the floor, no price tag and no repair tag so it must be a "house" machine. Turns out it was given to them a few years ago in a very neglected state and dust covered but complete and original. SA hub date is 55 and it has some nice touches; oil ports on hubs and BB, 32F/40R wheels, thimble fork, color-matched rack, chrome fenders with nice embossed badge inset in the rear fender. A nice thing.

Attachment 551008

Attachment 551009


How much?
Bought?
Prob expensive?

thumpism 02-03-17 05:54 PM


Originally Posted by billnuke1 (Post 19355732)
How much?
Bought?
Prob expensive?

No price tag; it's probably a store mascot. I did not buy it and probably would not. We already have four 3-speeds in the house now, three of them women's bikes. We really do not need another. I expect they'd sell it for the right price and I'd guess you could get it for $300, maybe less, but who knows? I can put you in touch with the guy if you're interested.

Dante41 02-03-17 10:50 PM


Originally Posted by sirpecangum (Post 19355096)
1974 Raleigh Esquire. Unsold the first week on eBay, I couldn't let it go unsold twice. Remarkably good condition for it's 43 years on the North Sea coast. Metallic brown! How 70s!

That is a beautiful machine! How much did you pay?

Dante41 02-04-17 04:40 AM


Originally Posted by sirpecangum (Post 19356540)
20.

Holy. Hell. That's incredible. :eek:

gster 02-04-17 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by sirpecangum (Post 19355096)
1974 Raleigh Esquire. Unsold the first week on eBay, I couldn't let it go unsold twice. Remarkably good condition for it's 43 years on the North Sea coast. Metallic brown! How 70s!

I like that "Star Trek" headlight.

curbtender 02-05-17 01:45 PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.