Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   New forum category: Carbon fiber bikes …???.. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1287121)

PaulJensen 01-01-24 02:19 PM

New forum category: Carbon fiber bikes …???..

I’m not sure where to post discussions about carbon fiber bikes… The Classic and Vintage group seems to be pretty tight about keeping it mostly *steel is real*... Road Cycling is very broad and wide… The other groups are very specific…

Is there room here for a new Carbon Fiber specific discussion group…??….

Edit: Thanks for all the helpful comments…

I decided to post on the Bicycle Mechanics group…

Link >>> Carbon Frame Repair

shelbyfv 01-01-24 02:23 PM

If you have a specific question, non-mechanical, this is a good place to start.

Kapusta 01-01-24 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaulJensen (Post 23116352)
I’m not sure where to post discussions about carbon fiber bikes… The Classic and Vintage group seems to be pretty tight about keeping it mostly *steel is real*... Road Cycling is very broad and wide… The other groups are very specific…

I think a forum dedicated solely to arguments over whether CF is worth it or will asplode is an awesome idea.

tomato coupe 01-01-24 02:28 PM

This is a bit like suggesting a sub-forum about internal combustion cars in an automobile forum.

PaulJensen 01-01-24 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 23116355)
If you have a specific question, non-mechanical, this is a good place to start.

Yes, I get that…

My thought is a group where the focus is primarily Carbon Fiber frames, and bikes built with carbon fiber…

We have many groups focused on very specific forms of cycling, and carbon fiber bikes are very specific too… I’m just wondering on their place here…???…

wolfchild 01-01-24 02:34 PM

Perfect topic to kick off new year. I am out of :popcorn...but I well stocked with :beer:.

PaulJensen 01-01-24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 23116363)
This is a bit like suggesting a sub-forum about internal combustion cars in an automobile forum.

What about hybrid or electric…???…

wolfchild 01-01-24 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by PaulJensen (Post 23116368)
I’m just wondering on their place here…???…

General Forum is a good place to post it.

Maelochs 01-01-24 02:36 PM

I think we need two new topic pages .... "Hating on CF Bikes" and Rational Thoughts About CF Bikes".

tomato coupe 01-01-24 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by PaulJensen (Post 23116373)
What about hybrid or electric…???…

What about them?

tomato coupe 01-01-24 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 23116376)
I think we need two new topic pages .... "Hating on CF Bikes" and Rational Thoughts About CF Bikes".

Any sub-forum based on rational thoughts would be a dud.

shelbyfv 01-01-24 02:42 PM

Still wondering what question OP has about his bike. :foo:

Chuck M 01-01-24 02:44 PM

Creating a CF forum without ever considering an aluminum forum is discrimination. And discrimination is wrong.

PaulJensen 01-01-24 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 23116381)
What about them?

Obviously internal combustion engines are significantly different than either hybrid and/or purely electric powered vehicles, right…???… Would it make sense to narrow a discussion group that is more focused on the specific form of power…???…

Of course it does…

Troul 01-01-24 02:46 PM

A "non traditional diamond frame" sub sections might gain more resin support.

Rick_D 01-01-24 02:50 PM

Electric CF bikes with waxed chains is my suggestion for the new year.

wheelreason 01-01-24 03:00 PM

Nope, and while we're at it, the Bycicle Mechanics forum should be just Mechanics...

PaulJensen 01-01-24 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 23116386)
Still wondering what question OP has about his bike. :foo:

I don’t have a specific question about my bike…

The question is, should be a CF bike group…???…

shelbyfv 01-01-24 03:01 PM

Okaaay.... :roflmao:

PaulJensen 01-01-24 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by wheelreason (Post 23116408)
Nope, and while we're at it, the Bycicle Mechanics forum should be just Mechanics...

Of course it should…

PaulJensen 01-01-24 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23116392)
A "non traditional diamond frame" sub sections might gain more resin support.

I like this…!!!…

tomato coupe 01-01-24 03:08 PM

I think a sub-forum for newbs would be worthwhile.

Maelochs 01-01-24 03:08 PM

If power source is a deciding factor then we need sub-forums for bikes bikes ridden by riders with different watts/kg .... and a separate sub-sub-forum for "serious" riders.

wolfchild 01-01-24 03:15 PM

I am in the " Rational Thoughts About CF Bikes Group ".

Atlas Shrugged 01-01-24 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaulJensen (Post 23116352)

Unfortunately as I have posted before these Bike Forums has effectively become a C&V discussion group with minimal to no rational conversations about current trends or technologies beyond the late 70’s to early 80’s. Any topic not in this sweet spot quickly becomes derailed with some Luddite screed. From the Touring sub forum to Indoor training, topics quickly derail to the point of irrelevance. Maps over GPS, rollers over smart trainers, friction over indexed shifting and yes, anything over carbon. But it is what it is and I participate in other forums and discussion groups for current tech.

This forum is a lot of fun though and having been in the sport since the 70’s myself I do connect with the items discussed. Good luck though and looking forward to the discussion.