Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LesterOfPuppets 05-19-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484743)
Was that on the marketplace here?

Nope, the local bike stuff FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/183937968413697/

abshipp 05-19-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484743)
Was that on the marketplace here?

I've always been surprised at how slow the main BF marketplace is, given how many users are here. C&V sales is always busy, but it seems to be pretty localized there.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21484761)
Nope, the local bike stuff FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/183937968413697/

What color were the hubs?

rjones28 05-19-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21484456)
Think of all the cakes that would be saved from ruin.

Good grief.

LesterOfPuppets 05-19-20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21484788)
I've always been surprised at how slow the main BF marketplace is, given how many users are here. C&V sales is always busy, but it seems to be pretty localized there.

What color were the hubs?

I think they're pewter

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...12cb3f22dd.jpg

This is gonna bother me for weeks. I wasted precious minutes zooming in on all the pics trying to see what kind of Mavics those were and if they were UST. Derp.

rjones28 05-19-20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484716)
NotStan's.

It works fine. So does Serfas brand sealant.

LesterOfPuppets 05-19-20 12:37 PM

You know what really grinds my gears?

Brands using Plus or + in tire names when the tyres aren't plus size tires. Uggh.

The most recent violator: Panaracer, with their GravelKing SS Plus+ Folding Gravel Tires

Biggest sizes are 48mm in 27.5, 43mm in 700c. Dumb.

Now if they made some GKSKs in 27.5 x 2.8" I'd be all over 'em. Maybe I'd be the only one though :)

https://panaracerusa.com/product/gra...-gravel-tires/

WhyFi 05-19-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21484798)
It works fine.

Almost every instance of "road tubeless failure" that I hear about has been Stan's refusing to permanently seal at road pressures - it's remarkably consistent. One BFer used to limp home at 35-40 psi and then internally patch every time he got a puncture. He thought that this was normal. :twitchy: Why in the heck would you go tubeless if that's what you had to put up with?

Velo Vol 05-19-20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21484789)
Good grief.

End this madness

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a7bb46608.jpg

WhyFi 05-19-20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21484788)

Maybe people don't want to mess with shipping? I mean, a lot of people browse BF, but they're pretty spread out, it seems.

WhyFi 05-19-20 01:06 PM

Aaaaaand the dishwasher is fixed! :bday:

The other day, I replaced the shut-off valve and made sure that the DW was seeing adequate pressure. It was, but it still wasn't filling properly. Ordered a replacement water inlet valve from Amazon on Sunday and it arrived today. Swapped them out and started a cycle - it was sprayin' out the door when I opened it and the water level was where it should be. Phew.

Now I have to wonder what's going to break on me, next? I feel like I've been troubleshooting and fixing appliances every other month.

rjones28 05-19-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21484908)

Yum

WhyFi 05-19-20 01:10 PM

I'd end that one slice at a time.

abshipp 05-19-20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484910)
Maybe people don't want to mess with shipping? I mean, a lot of people browse BF, but they're pretty spread out, it seems.

Could be, I know I don't have any desire to ship another bike. I've done that once and that was enough. Components are usually pretty easy, though.

I'd love to get rid of a lot of the stuff I have, but unfortunately it's all mid-range C&V stuff - once you put in the effort to package and ship you've already exceeded the value of the parts.

And, you know, a month after I sell something I'll suddenly have a need for it :o

TassR700 05-19-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484922)

The other day, I replaced the shut-off valve and made sure that the DW was seeing adequate pressure. It was, but it still wasn't filling properly. Ordered a replacement water inlet valve from Amazon on Sunday and it arrived today. Swapped them out and started a cycle - it was sprayin' out the door when I opened it and the water level was where it should be. Phew.

Now I have to wonder what's going to break on me, next? I feel like I've been troubleshooting and fixing appliances every other month.

Yeah, but you saved yourself the aggravation of having the appliance repair tech show up, misdiagnose the problem and still charge for a service call. Glad it is working.

bampilot06 05-19-20 01:34 PM

hows your refrigerator sounding these days?

WhyFi 05-19-20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21484977)
Yeah, but you saved yourself the aggravation of having the appliance repair tech show up, misdiagnose the problem and still charge for a service call. Glad it is working.

And even with the upper assembly that wasn't needed, it was still only ~$65. I don't think that you can get someone to drive to your house for less than $100, let alone fix anything.

WhyFi 05-19-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21484979)
hows your refrigerator sounding these days?

:notamused:

Velo Vol 05-19-20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21484050)
We're well on our way to having a year without summer.

Called it.

gnome 05-19-20 02:11 PM

yum. send me a slice. heck send me the whole damn cake.

datlas 05-19-20 02:24 PM

Hey mrs datlas got some "sourdough starter" from a neighbor and she wants me to try to help her make some sourdough bread. It seems like a PITA but the benefits are no yeast needed (which is out of stock at Wegman's) and the promise of fresh bread.

Yes? No? Any advice??

gnome 05-19-20 02:24 PM

in other news I've joined strava. i know, late to the party as usual. my local tramping club organised a group so we could do some challenges while in lockdown. not all the challenges were strava based though it was useful for the exercise part of them. I did try for a very local metric century a couple of weeks ago but got too bored of doing the same 5km loop close to my house and only made it to 75km.

gnome 05-19-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21485078)
Hey mrs datlas got some "sourdough starter" from a neighbor and she wants me to try to help her make some sourdough bread. It seems like a PITA but the benefits are no yeast needed (which is out of stock at Wegman's) and the promise of fresh bread.

Yes? No? Any advice??

go for it. I've found that the first few loaves were denser than store brought bread. more like an edible brick. it you want to slow the feeding of the starter keep it in the fridge so the reaction slows down. take it out the night before you want to bake so the yeasts wake up again.

Velo Vol 05-19-20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21485078)

Yes? No? Any advice??

There's no yeast in Malvern?

wut

kissTheApex 05-19-20 02:44 PM

Wow! It does look like it would work quite nicely..

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21484725)
My brother printed it off last night and I swung by his office today -

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...542a3424b2.jpg

The bushing was a little tight and sat a little proud, but a light shaving with a chisel took care of it.

kissTheApex 05-19-20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21483938)
Any important news I've missed in the last few months? I see Mr trainsnorter has brought a flash coffee machine.

Welcome back!

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21484661)
For the ball sports fans, they're also doing stories on baseball's biggest cheaters, Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire.

I just found a Fangio documentary on Netflix for any motorsports fans. Kinda slow the first 35 minutes, I’ll finish tonight. There’s also the “least expected day” about Movistar’s 2019 season.

Replacing the drum of an HE washer is always fun. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21484977)

ikr.