Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Top 10 steepest streets in San Francisco... On a unicycle! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234701)

UniGeezer 07-14-21 01:12 PM

Top 10 steepest streets in San Francisco... On a unicycle!

This was the most difficult unicycling challenge I've ever attempted, and definitely a personal record for me. The climbs ranged from 31% to a seemingly impossible 41% grade! And to be honest, after the very first climb I wasn't sure if I would have enough stamina to do even two more climbs let alone nine more, so I think it was mostly sheer will power and adrenaline that kept me going! There's a pretty good chance that you will "feel my pain" watching this video...👍🙂

chaadster 07-14-21 02:21 PM

Pain? You made it look easy! Kudos!

UniGeezer 07-14-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22141530)
Pain? You made it look easy! Kudos!

haha, thanks Chaadster. But it was I was definitely hurting even though you might not be able to see it. Mostly the lactic acid building up about halfway up each of the longer climbs. But just had to push through it because I didn't want have to do it over again! 😁

TiHabanero 07-14-21 06:45 PM

STUD. Period. Back in the day I climbed those hills on two wheels and they were a total bear, and doubly hard when the frame flex kept shifting the rear derailleur. No way could I ever think it can be done on a unicycle, however you just did! BRAVO!

veganbikes 07-15-21 10:05 PM

This is a bike forum...gotta have two wheel :p

That was awesome. A true feat. 10 steep climbs on a unicycle is just crazy but you did it. I would have fallen off by the first one and curled up in a fetal position at the 41% grade.

Kimmo 07-16-21 05:13 PM

Holy crap, I couldn't even watch it all, too painful! No wonder you're so ripped.

Now, can you go down those hills...? Maybe better not, you'll be ripped in a bad way 😬
​​​​

Sy Reene 07-17-21 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 22144807)
Holy crap, I couldn't even watch it all, too painful! No wonder you're so ripped.

Now, can you go down those hills...? Maybe better not, you'll be ripped in a bad way 😬
​​​​

no worries, he's got a disc brake ;)
Impressive feat, I woulda thought clipless would help for trying something like this.

SoSmellyAir 07-17-21 11:30 PM

San Francisco terrain is crazy and so is Terry!

I have never seen a unicycle with a brake before.

Mojo31 07-18-21 08:43 PM

Dayum!

UniGeezer 07-18-21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22145430)
no worries, he's got a disc brake ;)
Impressive feat, I woulda thought clipless would help for trying something like this.

yeah, the ride back down is easy with a brake, and the reward for going up! I have thought about trying clipless but it would always be on my mind that I might not get out in time and face plant! 🥴 So for me it looks like push/push, no pull. 😁

SoSmellyAir 07-19-21 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by UniGeezer (Post 22147683)
yeah, the ride back down is easy with a brake, and the reward for going up!

Do you use the brake to hold during the climb? I can see your hand that is waving around like a matador, but cannot see what your other hand is doing. I don't think the descent is a reward unless the city clears the roads of other traffic.

rsbob 07-19-21 10:54 PM

Just unreal. The power that takes is off the charts.

Any recumbent owners want to take this guy on? I would imagine it would be about the same degree of difficulty

UniGeezer 07-22-21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22149279)
Do you use the brake to hold during the climb? I can see your hand that is waving around like a matador, but cannot see what your other hand is doing. I don't think the descent is a reward unless the city clears the roads of other traffic.

my left hand is holding the lift handle that is attached to the front of the saddle, and just under that is the brake lever. So with a brake I can control my downhill speed, which makes the ride down much easier than going up.