Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Sold off the collection (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209133)

TiHabanero 08-02-20 07:05 AM

Sold off the collection

Been thinking about selling off the collection for several years and finally I have done it. Kept 3 out of the 12 bikes due to sentimental reasons. My first race bike, my brothers first race bike, and my son's first bike. Letting the last one go was tough, but doable and I know it will likely get flipped or parted out by the buyer as I let it go below market value.

Honestly it feels good as I can only display 3 bikes at a time anyway.

Murray Missile 08-02-20 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 21619553)
Been thinking about selling off the collection for several years and finally I have done it. Kept 3 out of the 12 bikes due to sentimental reasons. My first race bike, my brothers first race bike, and my son's first bike. Letting the last one go was tough, but doable and I know it will likely get flipped or parted out by the buyer as I let it go below market value.

Congratulations, my wife would be ecstatic if I was down to 12, she'd pass out cold if I got down to 3!

cb400bill 08-02-20 07:25 AM

So, what bikes did you keep?

rmflood 08-02-20 07:31 AM

I can’t imagine how hard that was. I’ve had thoughts of reducing my collection as well, but will probably leave it to my kids to handle after I’m gone.

Bianchigirll 08-02-20 07:32 AM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...58/457/bc9.gif

Congrats! I am sure it wasn't easy. When I had to downsize in 2014 (for fiscal reasons) it was tough because I need to sell valuable bikes and parts for the money not just the space.

Bianchigirll 08-02-20 07:35 AM

^ :lol:

cb400bill 08-02-20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21619582)

And, please, what are the years, brands, and models of those bikes?

BobbyG 08-02-20 08:25 AM

I didn't whittle down a bike collection, I only have three bicycles to start with, plus my wife's bike.

But last year, facing a possible new housing situation, my wife and I took the opportunity to "de-clutter" and "down-size".

Most of our books, records, cds and tapes and clothes were donated to goodwill after giving the kids, grand-kids, nieces and nephews and other in-laws first crack.

For me the toughest part were the old cameras and audio equipment. I kept about 10 cameras and some lenses (which get used on the digital camera), and enough equipment to play my open reel tapes, cassettes and records.

I also jettisoned some bike parts and accessories I'd never use again.

Overall it feels good. Every once in a while I have a project where I think of a part or piece I used to have that might work, but all things considered, we're happier with fewer possessions and less clutter.

Wildwood 08-02-20 08:31 AM

I would like to downsize the bikes that almost never get ridden.
That would be the ones purchased for the wife and kids.

Not time to unload mine yet.

3alarmer 08-02-20 11:28 AM

...I would downsize, but it would take away valuable time from working on my current projects. :o

seedsbelize 08-02-20 11:53 AM

I am recently down to three, from seven, plus my town bike and my wife's bike. One of those three I keep around for a friend when he visits. One will go back to Nebraska next time I come north. Three of the discarded ones are hanging, as frame sets, awaiting the arrival of the tall people come winter. That might be a long wait.

nlerner 08-02-20 11:54 AM

I’m currently at 18, far too many, and few of the vintage ones see much use. Maybe next year I’ll see if I can cut that in half.

Spaghetti Legs 08-02-20 05:18 PM

I’m at an equilibrium level now where I try to send one out when a new one comes in. Damn it’s hard though, I really like em all. My number is around 20.

The Golden Boy 08-02-20 05:27 PM

I keep talking about selling some stuff off. I know I have some things that I don't give enough riding time to that I know people would love.

RobbieTunes 08-02-20 05:29 PM

I find it easier to be in denial if I don't count them.

Kudos to the OP. That takes doing.
BTW, I see folks a lot on Habanero Ti bikes. They're cool.

2cam16 08-02-20 05:46 PM

Brave and tough. I don't have the balls to do that yet. :thumb::thumb:

jethin 08-02-20 07:25 PM

“My first race bike, my brothers first race bike, and my son's first bike”

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21619582)

“What is grandpa’s old rust bucket.“

3speedslow 08-02-20 07:41 PM

I am not ready for this intervention...

slenten 08-02-20 10:56 PM

Good for you! I'm down to one complete bike and two frames. Over the years I've become disinclined to wrench on more than one.

Classtime 08-03-20 08:50 AM

Next step: put the parts bins on CL.

francophile 08-03-20 08:57 AM

I'm there. Down to half the bikes I had 4 months ago. Have a couple more to sell that I knew I wouldn't get out of them what I expected if I lumped them in.

Still have a couple dozen framesets in the attic, they won't hurt anything up there and take up very little space. I'll probably donate those to the co-op if it comes down to it.

But yeah. I feel that pain.

PilotFishBob 08-03-20 10:39 AM

I still have too many but I have sold 5 in the past 2 months and have brought no more in this year. Progress.

Chr0m0ly 08-03-20 10:50 AM

I say I “have about 12” but it’s 15. That’s a lot in Chicago. I’m downsizing now, let go of an ‘86 710, the ‘85 710 is in the block, and I’ve let go of my Raleigh 20.

My wife is hoping to get it down to four, I’m aiming at 8, but for me that’s psychological. It’s easy to ditch the bikes that don’t quite fit right, or that are outside your “collection theme”. I’m hoping that the good feeling of passing the no-longer-interesting-to-me bikes will encourage my further downsizing.

It’s really just a space thing, I want more space to wrench on the bikes I have, and it’s been hard to prep bikes for sale without the space! But it’s declogging...

John E 08-03-20 02:47 PM

I have too many, but couldn't resist picking up a littermate to my Capo Sieger last (eBay seller accepted my low-ball offer without even a counter), and my wife's younger sister now wants to sell her Carlton. It's one size too small for me, but perfect for my wife, and it is the same size as my Peugeot UO-8. So I am torn, particularly since she doesn't want much money for it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fafdbb8602.jpg

squirtdad 08-03-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 21619553)

you say display, do you ride these or is there a fourth rider in the mix?