Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

genejockey 12-10-21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22335802)
What got her started playing the bassoon? It's not exactly a popular instrument.

(I apologize if you've already told the story.)

She played it in high school (which is pretty amazing, given the tiny town she comes from - that they had a bassoon AT ALL!). She played a bit in college, but never very seriously - didn't try out for the orchestra or any ensemble, for that matter. Once the kids were sufficiently grown up that they didn't require constant attention, she returned to that interest. She rented a bassoon for some years, then returned it, then rented another one, and now finally bought one. But apart from the time in high school, she's never played as part of a group, or in public. So, maybe a little eccentric, but I think a lot of us have interests and a desire to improve our skills in those interests solely for our own selves.

Eric F 12-10-21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335839)
She played it in high school (which is pretty amazing, given the tiny town she comes from - that they had a bassoon AT ALL!). She played a bit in college, but never very seriously - didn't try out for the orchestra or any ensemble, for that matter. Once the kids were sufficiently grown up that they didn't require constant attention, she returned to that interest. She rented a bassoon for some years, then returned it, then rented another one, and now finally bought one. But apart from the time in high school, she's never played as part of a group, or in public. So, maybe a little eccentric, but I think a lot of us have interests and a desire to improve our skills in those interests solely for our own selves.

I get it. I was a bedroom-only guitar player for many, many years. It wasn't until after I stopped bike racing in '04 that I decided to step up my music game, which lead to me playing bass in a few bands, and setting up a recording studio in my garage. These days, I'm back to playing solo, and it's only on rare occasions that I pick it up at all. Meanwhile, I have a big stack of music gear that is lacking the love it deserves.

big john 12-10-21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335775)
Good lord, no! We'd have to deal with the oboeists. You know they're all crazy, right? It's from how much pressure they have to maintain to play the damned things.

My favorite oboe piece. The piano is also quite nice.

big john 12-10-21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335779)

But no. They were informing me on Friday that on Wednesday the listing had ended, but the seller had relisted it. So it's still available....

Did you start shaking? Maybe sweating a little? :p

indyfabz 12-10-21 03:39 PM

R.I.P. Michael Nesmith.

LAJ 12-10-21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22335774)
OK sounds simple, what equipment and materials are needed? I mean besides a couple of chains. ;)

Crock-Pot 2 Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker, Black - Walmart.com

Amazon.com : Runaway Bike HOT TUB Chain Lubricant : Sports & Outdoors

Slim 25 Durable Telescoping Magnetic Grabber/Retrieving Magnet with Pocket Clip (07228): Telescoping Magnet: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

As WhyFi says you need a way to hang the chain above the crock pot too. I fashioned a chain (not a bicycle chain, a regular light duty one) from the ceiling above my bench where the crock pot lives. Then fashioned a hook that attaches to the bike chain which I hook in the middle of the chain to halve its length. I put the chain in the crock pot, cook it, and I fish the hook out with the magnet. I then grab the hook with needle nose, and slowly bring it up to the chain above the crock pot. Once there, I grab the bottom of the chain with the needle nore to stabilize it and wipe the excess wax of the chain from top to bottom.

It took a few times to figure it all out so I wasn't whipping the chain around and splattering wax here and there. :)

datlas 12-10-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22335878)
R.I.P. Michael Nesmith.

Fun fact: his mom invented liquid paper, the typing correction fluid.

indyfabz 12-10-21 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22335885)
Fun fact: his mom invented liquid paper, the typing correction fluid.

I knew that. In her kitchen sink. It made her wealthy. IIRC, she eventually sold the company to 3M.

phrantic09 12-10-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335762)
Have you ever heard what a bassoon sounds like when played poorly not very well suboptimally? There's a reason she plays in the garage with the doors to the house shut. Even Dory, who worships Mrs. GJ, prefers to be elsewhere.

I imagine its somewhere in the same vicinity of my youngest daughter playing the clarinet.

Oldest started viola this year, shes actually getting pretty decent.

Eric F 12-10-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22335900)
I imagine its somewhere in the same vicinity of my youngest daughter playing the clarinet.

Oldest started viola this year, shes actually getting pretty decent.

I sometimes threaten my wife with learning how to play bagpipes. However, the odds of being murdered in my sleep would probably increase dramatically if I were to actually go down that road.

genejockey 12-10-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22335910)
I sometimes threaten my wife with learning how to play bagpipes. However, the odds of being murdered in my sleep would probably increase dramatically if I were to actually go down that road.

Leave the bagpipes semi-inflated on the floor near the bed. If she steps on them, the noise will wake you. That's if she doesn't attack from her side of the bed....

genejockey 12-10-21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22335873)
Did you start shaking? Maybe sweating a little? :p

HA!

No, unlike my other bike purchases like the Circuit or the Centurion, this would mean embarking on a $1500-$2000 project, which tempers my enthusiasm considerably. That level of expense I really need to talk with Mrs. GJ about, and she's likely to give me the hairy eyeball.

Instead, I'm cogitating on upgrading the 10sp Veloce on the Bianchi to 11sp Centaur, because the 50x12 on it is too small. I thought about upgrading the Battaglin from 10sp Chorus to 12sp Chorus, till I looked at the price of Chorus these days. Holy hell.

Eric F 12-10-21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335931)
Leave the bagpipes semi-inflated on the floor near the bed. If she steps on them, the noise will wake you. That's if she doesn't attack from her side of the bed....

Do I want to be awake for my own murder?

genejockey 12-10-21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22335835)
I have a crockpot for waxing my chain but have yet to do it.

I use my crockpot for steel-cut oatmeal, when I'm in the mood for thunderous farting long-lasting carbs for long Sunday rides.

genejockey 12-10-21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22335939)
Do I want to be awake for my own murder?

Do you want a wake after you're murdered?
On the plus side, she won't have murdered you in your sleep!

big john 12-10-21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335938)
HA!

No, unlike my other bike purchases like the Circuit or the Centurion, this would mean embarking on a $1500-$2000 project, which tempers my enthusiasm considerably. That level of expense I really need to talk with Mrs. GJ about, and she's likely to give me the hairy eyeball.

Instead, I'm cogitating on upgrading the 10sp Veloce on the Bianchi to 11sp Centaur, because the 50x12 on it is too small. I thought about upgrading the Battaglin from 10sp Chorus to 12sp Chorus, till I looked at the price of Chorus these days. Holy hell.

50x12 is too small? I have that on my Seven and I'm ok with it. Used to have 50x13 and that was too small. Have a 52x11 on the other bike, it's good for dropping the governed e-bikes on a slight descent.

Eric F 12-10-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335945)
Do you want a wake after you're murdered?
On the plus side, she won't have murdered you in your sleep!

I'm still not sold on that being a plus. If I'm asleep, I won't be disturbed by the sound of my own screaming.

genejockey 12-10-21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22335949)
50x12 is too small? I have that on my Seven and I'm ok with it. Used to have 50x13 and that was too small. Have a 52x11 on the other bike, it's good for dropping the governed e-bikes on a slight descent.

The Canyon has a 52x11. I like that for fast descents, or even moderately fast descents with curves, because if I want to speed up a little between turns, I can pedal slowly instead of spinning like an eggbeater. The Ritchey and Battaglin both have 53x12. If I'd thought more deeply about it, I'd have opted for a 52/36 instead of 50/34 when I replaced the old 50x34 FSA with a new Centaur last year (part of modernizing the Bianchi - new wheels, new crank, new bar and stem)

I actually spun out the 50x12 on Zwift once sprinting.

Eric F 12-10-21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335957)
The Canyon has a 52x11. I like that for fast descents, or even moderately fast descents with curves, because if I want to speed up a little between turns, I can pedal slowly instead of spinning like an eggbeater. The Ritchey and Battaglin both have 53x12. If I'd thought more deeply about it, I'd have opted for a 52/36 instead of 50/34 when I replaced the old 50x34 FSA with a new Centaur last year (part of modernizing the Bianchi - new wheels, new crank, new bar and stem)

I actually spun out the 50x12 on Zwift once sprinting.

I refuse to give up my 53x11.

Velo Vol 12-10-21 05:35 PM

Map of the Day

10 December 2021

Velo Vol 12-10-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22335855)
I get it. I was a bedroom-only guitar player for many, many years. It wasn't until after I stopped bike racing in '04 that I decided to step up my music game, which lead to me playing bass in a few bands, and setting up a recording studio in my garage. These days, I'm back to playing solo, and it's only on rare occasions that I pick it up at all. Meanwhile, I have a big stack of music gear that is lacking the love it deserves.

Sad.

Eric F 12-10-21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22336014)
Sad.

Agreed. For 15 years, it was my bikes collecting dust and being ignored. That changed 2 years ago. When my kid goes off to college next year, there will be more time for things like music.

Velo Vol 12-10-21 06:33 PM

How long does a bike have to sit before it starts collecting dust?

DougRNS

seedsbelize2 12-10-21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22335943)
I use my crockpot for steel-cut oatmeal, when I'm in the mood for thunderous farting long-lasting carbs for long Sunday rides.

I eat steel cut oats every day. And fart continuously. Thanks for the tip.

seedsbelize2 12-10-21 07:26 PM

Fortunately for the rest of the world, I rarely leave the compound, except to ride a bike.