Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-27-22 04:15 PM

How could that be? There are right turns at COTA. :rolleyes:

Mojo31 03-27-22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22452588)
But if you don't, forget you?

If a lawyer disappears in Detroit and no one is there to see it, did he ever really exist?

DougRNS 03-27-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22452596)
If a lawyer disappears in Detroit and no one is there to see it, did he ever really exist?

hypothetical

genejockey 03-27-22 04:40 PM

I was coming down a fast, nontechnical descent on my ride today when I saw something in my path just a little too late to completely miss it. It was one of those reflector Botts dots, upside down, and I hit it with the left edge of my front tire, which 'tiddly-winked' it right into my left shin. No blood, but now that I'm home, it's starting to STING!!

Apart from that, there was a significant headwind on the Southbound part of my ride, which for once did NOT turn into headwind on the way back, but in fact became a 10-20 knot TAILWIND! I CRUSHED my best time on a 5 mile Northbound segment on Canada by about 45 seconds, which I've literally ridden 300 times. Of course, there were some crosswinds at points when the road turned but the Battaglin just shrugs them off. It feels very 'planted'. Yes, crosswinds push on it a bit, but it never threatens to blow out from under me.

Oh, and you know how yesterday I posted that I don't ride to socialize? Fate was listening. First, I see two people along the side of the road, obviously trying to figure out something technical and bike related. I slowed down and asked if they needed anything, and they actually did. It was a youngish woman (I think, but she was wearing a mask), on a BRAND NEW Bianchi. Nice CF bike with mechanical Ultegra, disc brakes, etc. She had NO IDEA about gears. Not just how to work them, but how they work. So I gave a quick tutorial - "Think Right = Rear", and "Rear wheel, bigger is easier". I hope she got on okay. I got the distinct impression this >$2500 bike was her FIRST geared bicycle! The other person was another good samaritan. Between us I think we helped.

Then about 10 miles later, I pass a tall skinny guy on a Serotta, who then rolls up alongside and compliments the Battaglin. This led to about 4 miles worth of conversation before I took a right and he went straight. So much for being a solitary cyclist!

Mojo31 03-27-22 04:49 PM

Next thing you know, you’ll be riding shirtless.

LesterOfPuppets 03-27-22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22452628)
Next thing you know, youíll be riding shirtless.

I might roll home from the ballpark shirtless. Or I might take the train, depending on energy level.

Mojo31 03-27-22 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22452643)
I might roll home from the ballpark shirtless. Or I might take the train, depending on energy level.

OK Larry.

genejockey 03-27-22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22452628)
Next thing you know, youíll be riding shirtless.

Not me. I've got that Anglo-Celtic phosphorescent white skin that almost glows in the dark and starts to bubble and smoke in full sunlight, like Christopher Lee at the end of all those Dracula movies.

abshipp 03-27-22 05:39 PM

Super fun hike today at Table Rock State Park.

About 6.5 miles / 1200'. Saw lots of waterfalls, three lizards, and a gorgeous ring necked snake :bday:

datlas 03-27-22 05:59 PM

Good ride this morning, then Hannah’s wind ensemble concert, and I finally got my lazy mechanic to get some work done on the Habanero. Reinstalled the headset/fork, bars/stem, BB, and crank. Put tires, tubes, and cassette on new psimet wheels. Reinstalled seatpost/saddle.

#progress

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ada4d9f2.jpeg

Bah Humbug 03-27-22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22452574)
Bah Humbug must be at the Nascar race at COTA

Nope. Did watch the F1 race this morning though; much better than the racing had been when I gave up on it.

Bah Humbug 03-27-22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22452589)
How could that be? There are right turns at COTA. :rolleyes:

So do Watkins Glen and Mexico City.

seedsbelize2 03-27-22 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22452619)
I was coming down a fast, nontechnical descent on my ride today when I saw something in my path just a little too late to completely miss it. It was one of those reflector Botts dots, upside down, and I hit it with the left edge of my front tire, which 'tiddly-winked' it right into my left shin. No blood, but now that I'm home, it's starting to STING!!

Apart from that, there was a significant headwind on the Southbound part of my ride, which for once did NOT turn into headwind on the way back, but in fact became a 10-20 knot TAILWIND! I CRUSHED my best time on a 5 mile Northbound segment on Canada by about 45 seconds, which I've literally ridden 300 times. Of course, there were some crosswinds at points when the road turned but the Battaglin just shrugs them off. It feels very 'planted'. Yes, crosswinds push on it a bit, but it never threatens to blow out from under me.

Oh, and you know how yesterday I posted that I don't ride to socialize? Fate was listening. First, I see two people along the side of the road, obviously trying to figure out something technical and bike related. I slowed down and asked if they needed anything, and they actually did. It was a youngish woman (I think, but she was wearing a mask), on a BRAND NEW Bianchi. Nice CF bike with mechanical Ultegra, disc brakes, etc. She had NO IDEA about gears. Not just how to work them, but how they work. So I gave a quick tutorial - "Think Right = Rear", and "Rear wheel, bigger is easier". I hope she got on okay. I got the distinct impression this >$2500 bike was her FIRST geared bicycle! The other person was another good samaritan. Between us I think we helped.

Then about 10 miles later, I pass a tall skinny guy on a Serotta, who then rolls up alongside and compliments the Battaglin. This led to about 4 miles worth of conversation before I took a right and he went straight. So much for being a solitary cyclist!

​​​​​​

indyfabz 03-27-22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22452564)
WOW! What did you do?

:lol:

I donít even know why I am going. It was disused briefly last Monday, but I didnít pay much attention. I guess Iíll find out this week. Probably dog and pony show stuff that will bore me to tears. At least my cat sitter is available. Wonder if I can expense that.

seedsbelize2 03-27-22 07:04 PM

I listened to an interview with Dr. David Hill the other day. A neuro-feedback guy. He says the timing of meals has more to do with circadian rhythm than light does. And that if you want to sleep better, you should go to bed at least three hours fasted, get up before dawn and do light exercise before eating anything. The little research I've done on coffee's effect on HGH is that coffee stimulates its production. So coffee would be ok during that morning fast. Is this correct? Bah Humbug

Mojo31 03-27-22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22452741)
Nope. Did watch the F1 race this morning though; much better than the racing had been when I gave up on it.

Weíre big fans of the F1 Netflix show.

DougRNS 03-27-22 07:12 PM

I've watched more Nascar this year than the past 3 or 4. Not any races in their entirety but good chunks of many races. The racing has been good.

I don't partake in F1
#DougsDontDoF1

LAJ 03-27-22 07:19 PM

Yep. I actually watched F1 before my ride. It was worth watching today. Cup was decent too.

genejockey 03-27-22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22452701)
Good ride this morning, then Hannah’s wind ensemble concert, and I finally got my lazy mechanic to get some work done on the Habanero. Reinstalled the headset/fork, bars/stem, BB, and crank. Put tires, tubes, and cassette on new psimet wheels. Reinstalled seatpost/saddle.

#progress

COOL! Now clamp it by the seatpost, as god intended.

indyfabz 03-27-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22452745)
So do Watkins Glen and Mexico City.

I spent two nights in Watkins Glen during a 2006 supported tour. Totally different place than I had imagined. The name suggested (to me) a quiet, picturesque hamlet. Far from it.

big john 03-27-22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22452800)
Yep. I actually watched F1 before my ride. It was worth watching today. Cup was decent too.

I watched Supercross on USA network last night. It's been on the free channels since NBCSN went away. Eli Tomac is kicking ass.

LesterOfPuppets 03-27-22 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22452701)
Good ride this morning, then Hannahís wind ensemble concert, and I finally got my lazy mechanic to get some work done on the Habanero. Reinstalled the headset/fork, bars/stem, BB, and crank. Put tires, tubes, and cassette on new psimet wheels. Reinstalled seatpost/saddle.

#progress

It's nice to see someone at least make an attempt at besting me in the messiest work bench category.

phrantic09 03-28-22 04:04 AM

Lucky me

Wordle 282 2/6

⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-28-22 04:07 AM

Wordle 282 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:foo:

Bah Humbug 03-28-22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22453042)
Wordle 282 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:foo:

Wordle 282 5/6

When you find all but one letter and have the situation where there are a LOT of letters that could solve it, you don't have to use the ones you know - I wiped out three of five with my fourth guess and then only had two possibilities.

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩