Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

DougRNS 02-05-22 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22399601)
Zwift ride was fine. There was some lively chatter on Discord and enough riders for me to find a couple small groups that were at/near my desired pace. I lasted 90 minutes which is not too bad for fake miles.

Big event is this evening. Daughter #1 senior recital, they are limiting in-person audience to 15. The rest have to watch the livestream. If anyone is bored at 6PM EST tonight, here is the event link, the page has links to the program and the livestream. https://www.wcupa.edu/music/eventsCa...startYear=2022

kudos on lasting 90 min. I've heard commercials about men lasting 90 minutes but that might be something else.

datlas 02-05-22 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22399760)
kudos on lasting 90 min. I've heard commercials about men lasting 90 minutes but that might be something else.

Like needing medical attention if you last 4 hours? :innocent:

Velo Vol 02-05-22 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22399523)
no, I just wanted you to know what you're missing.

What else do I miss besides the freezing temperature?

DougRNS 02-05-22 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22399780)
What else do I miss besides the freezing temperature?

warm memories of your yute.

datlas 02-05-22 12:58 PM

So I got my Garmin 530. Recall the main reason I got it is the crappy battery life on the 130. All I want from a computer is a battery that won’t crap out in 3 hours, will give me turn by turn directions from a preloaded route, and display info from my Varia RTL 510.

For unknown reasons the 530 will not pair with (or recognize) the varia. When I have it search all sensors, it only sees my Kickr Snap which is far away in the basement. It does not see the varia which is right next to it. Advice??

Velo Vol 02-05-22 01:00 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22399828)
warm memories of your yute.

Pen a novella that captures the spirit of Sharpsville.

WhyFi 02-05-22 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22399835)
So I got my Garmin 530. Recall the main reason I got it is the crappy battery life on the 130. All I want from a computer is a battery that won’t crap out in 3 hours, will give me turn by turn directions from a preloaded route, and display info from my Varia RTL 510.

For unknown reasons the 530 will not pair with (or recognize) the varia. When I have it search all sensors, it only sees my Kickr Snap which is far away in the basement. It does not see the varia which is right next to it. Advice??

Don't search for all, search specifically for radar. If that doesn't work, pair it as a light first then as radar.

WhyFi 02-05-22 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22399835)
So I got my Garmin 530. Recall the main reason I got it is the crappy battery life on the 130. All I want from a computer is a battery that won’t crap out in 3 hours, will give me turn by turn directions from a preloaded route, and display info from my Varia RTL 510.

For unknown reasons the 530 will not pair with (or recognize) the varia. When I have it search all sensors, it only sees my Kickr Snap which is far away in the basement. It does not see the varia which is right next to it. Advice??

Oh, and just to be sure, you put the Varia in pairing mode, right? (Power off, then hold the button for a couple seconds until the LED flashes purple)

datlas 02-05-22 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22399863)
Don't search for all, search specifically for radar. If that doesn't work, pair it as a light first then as radar.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22399869)
Oh, and just to be sure, you put the Varia in pairing mode, right? (Power off, then hold the button for a couple seconds until the LED flashes purple)

Tried multiple times. Not working. Rechecked with my 130 and it works great. Garmin customer service closed on weekends. Sigh.

MoAlpha 02-05-22 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22399664)
I enjoyed debating/discussing with people whose POV is different, as long as we're working from the same basic set of facts. Without that, it's just vitriol.

The disagreements between reality-based, rule of law, conservatives and liberals now seem sort of quaint.

Mojo31 02-05-22 02:06 PM

Unplug the Kickr.

datlas 02-05-22 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22399922)
Unplug the Kickr.

I tried that too. Still fail.

Will try again tomorrow.

abshipp 02-05-22 03:49 PM

Fun ride today.

Coworker of mine asked if I wanted to climb up into NC. Probably 35 degrees at the start, and the same at the top where we stopped for a coffee and cookie.

Wasn't looking forward to the descent but it wasn't terribly cold, even though I was a bit underdressed. Poor guy I was riding with moved here from Miami about the same time I did and realized today his temperature cutoff is about 5-10 degrees warmer than it was the whole ride :lol:

35ish miles, 2800'. Felt good to do a ride like that again.

genejockey 02-05-22 04:00 PM

Today was the monthly Peninsula C&V ride. 3 people this month, SwimmerMike, me, and a guy named Guy, whose handle I failed to catch. We're all about the same speed, though on downhills I have a definite advantage. BUT since I failed to press the "Start" button on Strava correctly, it didn't record, so apparently it never happened. :( Mike was on a Colnago and Guy on a Masi he plans to ride in the Eroica this year. I took the Litespeed Since it's 27 years old this year, I figure it qualifies as C&V, especially since it's built with the same age of components (which are working great, BTW). I'm not going to organize an SF Peninsula Early Brifter Ride, after all.

datlas 02-05-22 04:07 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22400063)
Today was the monthly Peninsula C&V ride. 3 people this month, SwimmerMike, me, and a guy named Guy, whose handle I failed to catch. We're all about the same speed, though on downhills I have a definite advantage. BUT since I failed to press the "Start" button on Strava correctly, it didn't record, so apparently it never happened. :( Mike was on a Colnago and Guy on a Masi he plans to ride in the Eroica this year. I took the Litespeed Since it's 27 years old this year, I figure it qualifies as C&V, especially since it's built with the same age of components (which are working great, BTW). I'm not going to organize an SF Peninsula Early Brifter Ride, after all.

Kudos. At least you got some exercise!

indyfabz 02-05-22 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22400044)
I tried that too. Still fail.

Will try again tomorrow.

Pass the dutchie…on the left hand side.

LesterOfPuppets 02-05-22 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22400076)
Pass the dutchie…on the left hand side.

What's he say after that?

I always thought "He nab a bone"

genejockey 02-05-22 04:29 PM

Wordle 231 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 02-05-22 04:59 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22400082)
What's he say after that?

I always thought "He nab a bone"

https://genius.com/Musical-youth-pas...dutchie-lyrics

abshipp 02-05-22 05:16 PM

Thread needs more Francis:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61ac69b29b.jpg

indyfabz 02-05-22 06:01 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22400147)

And more Stephen.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7f2b94676.jpeg

big john 02-05-22 06:12 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22399683)
It's tough to know what to do for people who are depressed, especially if it's organic rather than situational. Being there for them and not giving up on them are what they need, so good on you for that. Too many people think they know what the depressed person should do - "You just need to try harder!" is the worst, because when it doesn't work you feel even worse.

Well, he showed up. Another friend came, too, which was good. She was able to listen to him some, sparing me part of the burden. Apparently not seeing anyone other than his mother for 3 weeks made him more chatty than usual. Fun ride, beautiful day and we had a slice of pizza for lunch.

He didn't go into detail about what's been on his mind but it was only his 6th time on the bike in 5 or 6 weeks. This is a guy who has been doing 15k per year, or so.
I asked if he is up for the usual Tuesday ride but he was non-committal. I had to give him a little crap about that. I really hope he is all right.

LAJ 02-05-22 06:21 PM

Hannah had a far better start to her recital than Casey, and played very well. Kudos.

LAJ 02-05-22 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22400207)
Well, he showed up. Another friend came, too, which was good. She was able to listen to him some, sparing me part of the burden. Apparently not seeing anyone other than his mother for 3 weeks made him more chatty than usual. Fun ride, beautiful day and we had a slice of pizza for lunch.

He didn't go into detail about what's been on his mind but it was only his 6th time on the bike in 5 or 6 weeks. This is a guy who has been doing 15k per year, or so.
I asked if he is up for the usual Tuesday ride but he was non-committal. I had to give him a little crap about that. I really hope he is all right.

He needs to get back on his bike. That sounds like it may be his drug of choice, which is quite all right.

big john 02-05-22 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22400216)
He needs to get back on his bike. That sounds like it may be his drug of choice, which is quite all right.

I agree on all points.

MoAlpha 02-05-22 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22400216)
He needs to get back on his bike. That sounds like it may be his drug of choice, which is quite all right.

It’s strong stuff, but not always strong enough. :(

LAJ 02-05-22 06:33 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22400219)
It’s strong stuff, but not always strong enough. :(

Spot on.

DougRNS 02-05-22 06:52 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22400207)
Well, he showed up. Another friend came, too, which was good. She was able to listen to him some, sparing me part of the burden. Apparently not seeing anyone other than his mother for 3 weeks made him more chatty than usual. Fun ride, beautiful day and we had a slice of pizza for lunch.

He didn't go into detail about what's been on his mind but it was only his 6th time on the bike in 5 or 6 weeks. This is a guy who has been doing 15k per year, or so.
I asked if he is up for the usual Tuesday ride but he was non-committal. I had to give him a little crap about that. I really hope he is all right.

my only advice is; don't give up on him so you can be there when he's ready. At least he'll know he can count on you. I hope you can have the patience because it must be frustrating.

datlas 02-05-22 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22400147)


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22400201)

And more Jackie.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61e4f4f44.jpeg

datlas 02-05-22 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22400215)
Hannah had a far better start to her recital than Casey, and played very well. Kudos.

Thanks. We think they both did a good job.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.