Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Identify this bike from just the chainstay. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234790)

jetboy 07-15-21 05:54 PM

Identify this bike from just the chainstay.

its a stupid game but maybe people would like to try: can you identify this bike from this one picture?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4391867080.jpg bonus points if you get the model of the car hood.

noobinsf 07-15-21 05:56 PM

Univega Alpina and VW Bug?

malcala622 07-15-21 05:58 PM

Univega Nuovo Sport and mustang hood?

nlerner 07-15-21 06:28 PM

'83 Stumpy Sport (based on your sig)?

jetboy 07-15-21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22143236)
'83 Stumpy Sport (based on your sig)?

heh. no its not that easy!

droppedandlost 07-15-21 06:48 PM

Land Rover?

madpogue 07-15-21 06:51 PM

Definitely a Univega, and.... Dodge Dart?

unworthy1 07-15-21 06:56 PM

It has to be a Univega and the "Lawee Design" decal was something I saw later than when the under-chainstay rear brake was in fashion, plus odd touch for the spare spoke holders on what seems to be a Mtn bike. If that's VW sheet metal (and I thought so, too but now I don't) it's called a "rear deck lid" not a hood. They did not put vertical vent slots ("louvers") in the lid, those typically were in the sheet metal between the top of lid and bottom of rear window glass. So....stumped on both!
HUH! I actually have one in my garage, I must be blind! A BMW 02 (or 1600)?

jetboy 07-15-21 08:58 PM

combo bingo: Univega Alpina Pro, (not sure exact year myself) and a bmw 2002 hood ~1975

I thought it was a pretty distinctive stay with the decal and the spare spoke holder and under stay brake. pretty cool bike, sadly its for someone about 5' and I am 6' 2"

unworthy1 07-15-21 10:55 PM

OK now I have a thread hijack contest based on this being a Bimmer 02 hood from '75:
Name that Color (Name)!

BMWs from this era all had stock paint colors named for things/places that the paint was sort of evocative of.
So white was called "Chamonix", silver was "Polaris", there was a light yellowish beige called "Manilla", a green called "Agave", an orange called Colorado...stuff like that.
Unless this '75 hood has very non-BMW red oxide primer, it's one of the BMW red colors.
Who can name it?

Need some hints? One name is a city in Italy, one is a city in Spain. I am going from memory so probably have skipped something.

madpogue 07-16-21 06:48 AM

Toledo?

For the chalking / white spots, I nominate "Dover".

capnjonny 07-16-21 07:47 AM

Diamond back assent 1993
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...becf320c3f.jpg

unworthy1 07-16-21 03:22 PM

Interesting! Was the contractor for DB also building Univegas in the same timeframe?

I'll cut to the BMW red color answers (it was a pointless hi-jacking since only jetboy knows what color his 2002 is) these are the 3 I know of from the era of his hood:
Verona is a lighter, more orange-y red.
Granada is a dark red
Malaga is a burgundy/wine red

mgopack42 07-16-21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by unworthy1 (Post 22143524)
OK now I have a thread hijack contest based on this being a Bimmer 02 hood from '75:
Name that Color (Name)!

BMWs from this era all had stock paint colors named for things/places that the paint was sort of evocative of.
So white was called "Chamonix", silver was "Polaris", there was a light yellowish beige called "Manilla", a green called "Agave", an orange called Colorado...stuff like that.
Unless this '75 hood has very non-BMW red oxide primer, it's one of the BMW red colors.
Who can name it?

Need some hints? One name is a city in Italy, one is a city in Spain. I am going from memory so probably have skipped something.

OK I will guess: Malaga red

unworthy1 07-17-21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 22143717)

For the chalking / white spots, I nominate "Dover".

Since I can't restrain myself: the color namers at BMW went to the other side of England for inspiration, they call the lighter gray "Bristol", but for a darker gray they picked "Derby" (which over there would be pronounced "darby").
There's a particular color that always fascinated me cause it's one of those that some other European auto makers have a version of and it's "neither fish nor fowl" (nor cheese nor chalk). A weird paint that could be called beige, gray or maybe "putty"...they call this thing "Nevada". sing it to the tune of " they call the wind Mariah" :)

jetboy 07-17-21 05:53 PM

hah. joke is on you as its not my hood nor my bike, but my brother's who I am up visiting. So actually don't know the official color (adn he may not either as its just an extra hood he has for some reason.. not the color of his car).

I just saw it hanging there and thought the chainstay was pretty cool with the spoke holder and call out to Lawee. I took it out for a ride and its a very nice bike! super small, even too small for him and he is the older, and much shorter, brother. Some years ago I dumpster picked it and gave it to him as there was not much chance of me being able to make it fit.

jetboy 07-17-21 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by capnjonny (Post 22143795)

looks like the same RD,FD, brake, and crank as well. the vega is that black chrome finish and still has the biopace rings.. but the DB may have come with those as well. Are you sure that is a DB with the respray.. maybe its a univega!

capnjonny 07-18-21 03:00 PM

No respray. The Diamond Back is all original paint. It also came with braze ons on the forks for touring panniers. This would make a great adventure touring bike. anyone want to ride to Alaska and back?