Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 02-19-18 05:06 AM


Originally Posted by biggs682 (Post 20177418)
Please see this thread on Cyclechat about mine

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my...adster.196906/

That is lovely. What a great find. A 50s Lenton. A tall frame too. 8 speed you say? Would that be a FM hub with 2 cogs? Nice.

biggs682 02-19-18 05:13 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20177503)
That is lovely. What a great find. A 50s Lenton. A tall frame too. 8 speed you say? Would that be a FM hub with 2 cogs? Nice.

It was initially but the FM hub started to loose it's fingers and drive so now running a 3 speed hub with 2 cogs , and great fun to ride

thumpism 02-19-18 06:45 AM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20177285)
Do those have front hub generators built in?

Yes, those do appear to be Dynohubs. Never owned one myself.

BigChief 02-19-18 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by biggs682 (Post 20177506)
It was initially but the FM hub started to loose it's fingers and drive so now running a 3 speed hub with 2 cogs , and great fun to ride

I think that was an excellent solution. The AW hub is one of those amazing products that perform far beyond what you would ever expect. I have AWs that have been operating flawlessly for over 60 years with only basic maintenance. I'd love to see your project as it comes along. What do you have in mind. I assume a Bluemel mudguard for the front. How about drop bars and new paint/transfers? Are they in the picture?

johnnyspaghetti 02-19-18 09:05 AM

I see GH6 on both I'm jumping on a bus but the ad is gone this morning. Could be divorce Drinking

Ballenxj 02-19-18 09:35 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20177564)
Yes, those do appear to be Dynohubs. Never owned one myself.

I haven't seen those in many a year. I had one once in a storage unit full of bicycle part. They would be neat to have today. I guess they were either too complicated to build, or created too much friction, but I have to wonder why there were so few? :foo:

biggs682 02-19-18 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20177630)
I think that was an excellent solution. The AW hub is one of those amazing products that perform far beyond what you would ever expect. I have AWs that have been operating flawlessly for over 60 years with only basic maintenance. I'd love to see your project as it comes along. What do you have in mind. I assume a Bluemel mudguard for the front. How about drop bars and new paint/transfers? Are they in the picture?

Well this is how it looked last time i rode it ie prior to Dec 2017 its due to come back in to daily commuting use once the frosts have finished .

I would love to have it repainted but the Brown is quite tidy all things considered so it will stay as is so as not to draw any attention .

I need to tidy the wiring up and get the dynamo system running again but other than that just general maintenance and abuse .

Salubrious 02-19-18 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20177793)
I haven't seen those in many a year. I had one once in a storage unit full of bicycle part. They would be neat to have today. I guess they were either too complicated to build, or created too much friction, but I have to wonder why there were so few? :foo:

Actually its a common part. And still made in updated form by Sturmey Archer. There are many alternator hubs in production today- they are common on mountain bike or road bikes where the ability to charge a light or GPS is important.

Ballenxj 02-19-18 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 20178059)
Actually its a common part. And still made in updated form by Sturmey Archer. There are many alternator hubs in production today- they are common on mountain bike or road bikes where the ability to charge a light or GPS is important.

Hmm, haven't seen any? What bikes are they being used on?

clubman 02-19-18 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20178104)
Hmm, haven't seen any? What bikes are they being used on?

SA currently has 3 or 4 cool dyno hubs listed. Lots of city bike makers use them.

Ballenxj 02-19-18 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20178146)
SA currently has 3 or 4 cool dyno hubs listed. Lots of city bike makers use them.

I'm betting they work really well with led's?

Salubrious 02-19-18 01:06 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20178104)
Hmm, haven't seen any? What bikes are they being used on?

The Raleigh Superbe, such as my 1972 model, is the common go-to for an example.

Raleigh had a number of brands and those brands had equivalent or nearly equivalent models. My '51 Humber Sports (his and hers) are both equipped with Dynohubs. So is my '57 BSA Silver DeLuxe which is a rod brake model. Some model Twentys (a folding bike from the 1970s) were also equipped.

So many of the higher end 3-speeds made after WW2 had the Dynohub lighting.

You can now get LEDs to retro fit older Dynohub lighting systems.

adventurepdx 02-19-18 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20178104)
Hmm, haven't seen any? What bikes are they being used on?

As @Salubrious mentioned, "all sorts of bikes." It's rare to be a stock item on a factory-made bicycle though. A few companies that make commuter bikes like Breezer have them as an option on their bikes. Otherwise, they are an aftermarket part. Most often, folks need to get a wheel built around a dynohub, but there are some factory made dynohub wheels.

Current dynohub makers are: Sturmey-Archer, Shimano, Sanyo, Shutter Precision, and SON/Schmidt. Yes, your company name has to start with "s" to get in on the action. ;)

I have dynohubs on three of my bikes:
  1. A S-A Dynohub (1968) on my Raleigh Superbe
  2. A Sayno on my Robin Hood path racer
  3. A Shutter Precision on my Bantam

adventurepdx 02-19-18 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20178155)
I'm betting they work really well with led's?

Yes. Pretty much all modern lights for dynohubs use LEDs. Most also have a "standlight", which is a capacitor that keeps the light on for a short amount of time after the wheel stops turning. (In the past, either the light would go dead, or you had to use a bulky and complex battery system.)

Ballenxj 02-19-18 01:14 PM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 20178171)
Yes. Pretty much all modern lights for dynohubs use LEDs. Most also have a "standlight", which is a capacitor that keeps the light on for a short amount of time after the wheel stops turning. (In the past, either the light would go dead, or you had to use a bulky and complex battery system.)

That would be a big improvement x 2, as the biggest cause of the old mono filament bulbs to burn out was turning them off and on. That had to be a pain back then.

johnnyspaghetti 02-19-18 01:38 PM

Go Dead. I'm jumping on a bus.

BigChief 02-19-18 02:24 PM

This bus is bound for lighting...gonna do myself some midnight riding...

clubman 02-19-18 02:52 PM

I'd suspect so.

IEthatsME 02-20-18 12:33 AM

We sold a Herald to buy the TR6.

BigChief 02-20-18 05:21 AM

Usually, it's the other way around. Young people would get married and out went the sports car and in came the mundane sedan.

noglider 02-20-18 03:41 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20179326)
Usually, it's the other way around. Young people would get married and out went the sports car and in came the mundane sedan.

Young people should just get the minivan to start with.

jamesj 02-20-18 07:18 PM

Just about finished with it.

Still need to find out if one of my local bike shops has a cotter press to repack bearings in the bottom bracket. Found a new front brake also ran new cables. I actually took apart the rear hub cleaned it out and repacked everything. I spent two days at the kitchen table rebuilding it. Also I hadn't noticed when I bought the bike that it had a bend in the drive side fork. I took it to a frame builder friend in my area and he pulled it back into place for me, It tracks pretty decent now.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4605/3...40003098_b.jpg

BigChief 02-20-18 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by jamesj (Post 20181085)
Just about finished with it.

Still need to find out if one of my local bike shops has a cotter press to repack bearings in the bottom bracket. Found a new front brake also ran new cables. I actually took apart the rear hub cleaned it out and repacked everything. I spent two days at the kitchen table rebuilding it. Also I hadn't noticed when I bought the bike that it had a bend in the drive side fork. I took it to a frame builder friend in my area and he pulled it back into place for me, It tracks pretty decent now.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4605/3...40003098_b.jpg

Looking good. Just the bottom bracket to go then. Well, there are fun accessories you could add. A leather saddle, saddle bag and tool kit is always nice. So, how's the old 60s stepthrough? Guess it got sidelined for this project. I do that a lot too.

jamesj 02-20-18 09:18 PM

I think you have me confused, not step through frame for me.

I really want a new saddle for it. on my wrecked frame I had a B67 I might try to use it but I think it is a little bent. I also would like to add a marks rack and baskets as well as new grips at some point.



Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20181144)
Looking good. Just the bottom bracket to go then. Well, there are fun accessories you could add. A leather saddle, saddle bag and tool kit is always nice. So, how's the old 60s stepthrough? Guess it got sidelined for this project. I do that a lot too.


Ballenxj 02-21-18 10:48 PM


Originally Posted by brianhamp (Post 20183654)
I found this at a garage sale last fall. Waiting for the snow to melt to ride it!!

Sherwood Forest Green? ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.